The online racing simulator
Realistic Car shells
(16 posts, started )
#1 - aoun
Realistic Car shells
These things look like glass objects when you look at them. Things like the FZR, BF1 etc. They are like is that a car or toy?

Make them look better! Thats my suggestion..
I think the reflections and the amount of details (on the car) should be better, it's a little too cartoonish now
More and moving reflections
I think they're fine... Imagine seeing a FZ50 GTR in the Nations Cup... jaws would drop. (come to think of it... it's sorta like an aston eh?!)
are you saying they reflect to much

how about.. they dont reflect the right things?
what i suggested a while back, is we really need realtime reflections, which is most certainly giving the cars a strange look because no matter where you are on the track, they still reflect the same thing
They should reflect more, you should really see the sun on the cars and the reflections should be moving too when making a turn
nah, they reflect plenty

what we should get is the 'dirt' effect

i mean, it would be nice to have the effects like on RBR or CMR5; but right now, it would be nice to have the GT4 'dirty' effect where the car gets less and less reflective the longer you drive

it you really want to see how shiny a car is, the best is to see it in black, that goes for everything reflective, in life or not, black reflects the most (well.. unless you can buy a car in chrome or something lol)
#7 - aoun
ye sorry if you couldnt understand me before.. i meant like the reflections
its to glossy etc
Quote from aoun :ye sorry if you couldnt understand me before.. i meant like the reflections
its to glossy etc

Just saying that doesn't mean much. Try using terms like "alpha" or "specular".
no i understand what you meant, the cars have about the right amount of gloss for cars that were just cleaned

thats why i think the reflections should dull over time; then possibly later one we can get mud and junk cling to the cars
In my opinion this aspect should be taken into consideration when implementing Pixel Shaders into the engine by Scawen. All the dirt coming onto the car should be less reflective than the clean parts of the car. Apart from that all objects int the game should have specular maps and bump maps so to look as real as possible. Those two types of mapping is becoming the standard in modern 3d games so I think it should be implemented ASAP.
dont expect that happening anytime soon atleast, LFS runs in DX7, bump mapping afaik isn't implemented until DX8
#12 - Jakg
i thought LFS was DX 8?
^^ I thought so too...

I think the cars look good, I found it a nice idea to be able to set the shininess of the car in the skin or something. So we could have a GTi with matt bumpers or something, so it looks cheaper... I made a skin for the GTi and it was supposed to look like a cheap car, but with metallic looking bumpers it just didn't come out right! If this could be accomplished, there should be a limit to the shininess... Otherwise some people would just make their car blinding to the rest of us
A default map for the glossiness would be neat, and if you want a special effect (say a metallic finish on a certain part, or a matte look) you can have a special map file with the same name as the skin. For obvious reasons, that file will not be auto-downloaded from LFS-W, but it can be distributed with the skin itself on the forums if you wish.

Of course, the DEVs could change the skin format to something that supports those channels, but then sizes increase and make auto downloading impossible again.
does it? i cant remember
if it is, then just... replace DX7 with DX8 and replace DX8 with DX9
I dont know what is the problem that LFS uses DX7 ? Anyone of you program DirectX games that you know that there is a problem with setting up the game to DX8 standards?

DirectX is a standard. It is backward compatible. So there is no problem.

There are vertex shaders implemented so LFS IS DIRECTX 8.0 game

Realistic Car shells
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG