The online racing simulator
G27 Shifter - no assigning gears
I have a G27 Shifter connected via a USB adapter, rather than a Logitech wheel. LFS does show it as one of my controllers, but when I go to assign shifter gears, it only has "Keyboard" and "Wheel Buttons" and if i click on a gear slot to assign a wheel button, it does not register the shifter going into any gears.

Are there any config tweaks for letting me assign the gears outside the game, via files or something, since LFS does seem to recognize the device?
Oooh, interesting. Does windows detect the shifter's gear positions (and other buttons) as you've got it connected up via USB?

Edit: I've did a bit of digging, but I can't find any straightforward solutions. However, if you have modified it as an USB compliant device and Windows is correctly detecting/reporting the shifter's buttons and 'gear positions', I think it should be possible to map it to LFS one way or the other.

I don't have access to LFS at the moment and cannot test it, but if Windows recognizes the key press, it should be directly map-able (which you cannot at the moment) or assign it as a bind (linked to shift position).

i.e. something like this.

Did you have a look at the LFS Scripting Guide? Anything there that you can use? I've not used it in years as are completely oblivious to how it works... but maybe it can used to assign the shifter keys on way or the other.

Hope someone else can give a more direct and straightforward answer! Ya right

Some of the stuff I came across, in case you have time to kill...
ACCAkut's DIY shifter on LFS Forum
Shifter Adapters from Leo Bodnar (most straightforward solution before you did any modifications to the shifter)
XSimulator (You may have already done something of this sort...)
InsideSIMracing (You may have already done something of this sort...)

Edit2: Bah! Just saw your thread from 14 years ago. You know way more about these stuff than I do! Taped Shut
Ok, seems to have been a case of PEBKAC. I was just trying to capture some screen shots of how LFS sees the device, but won't register the gears as buttons, and voila, now it works. Don't know what i did wrong before.

For reference, I am using the Leo Bodnar adapter. I got it originally for Assetto Corsa. Hadn't touched LFS in quite a few years, but wanted to scratch my auto-x itch and nothing compares to LFS for that.
Yay!

G27 Shifter - no assigning gears
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG