The online racing simulator
Quake 3 style mod system
(8 posts, started )
Quake 3 style mod system
Texture and eventually other modifications should be selectable ingame. So, in your LFS directory you would have a different folder for different mods. These folders would be defined as mod folders from a cfg file. So that way, ingame you could chose the different mods, and LFS would use all of the textures in the mod folder, and the rest of the textures would be loaded from the default data folder.
I'm sure someone would be able to write a batch file to copy/rename stuff that'd allow you to pick between different textures and sounds etc.. IMO no need to build such a feature into LFS.
From what I hear Scawen would like to have the game moddable after S3 is completed.
no, he means just texture mods

all you really have to do though, is just change the name of the folder if thats what you really want for each mod though

maybe by S3 though we will have no reason to have the mods we do now (ei: we might be able to choose the season )
0.o
:biggun:
BF1 Instagib-T1 Edition (with adjustable gravity)
Weapons Vs Speed S3.0-Missile Edition :hbomb:

just an example , im all for modding but at what cost. It works with FPS alright , but racing sim community just isnt big enough to support it in the same way i feel. Sure there is the dedication, skill and community , but i dont quite think the userbase is quite there yet to absorb the potential.

I Know S3 is a while off yet, with most modable engines comes one thing , a glut of comletely redundant useless mods creating a wealth of problems for the future lifespan of this "pure"! game imo.

Random Idea if game was totally open.
Only way i can see combating "death by mods" this maybe is for devs to charge for the toolkit, linked with account, and some sort of info/tag data with linking to racer who created.

Im more in favour of simple things for LFS modding:

Physics - Locked
Track/Editor - open
Car/Editor - Locked
Gui/Gamemodes - open

would be nice to rocket jump overtake though
#6 - filur
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :Physics - Locked
Track/Editor - open
Car/Editor - Locked
Gui/Gamemodes - open

+1
If you mean a .dds switcher, GEM does a similar thing in GPL, but with car sets and whotnot.
#8 - Honey
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :
Physics - Locked
Track/Editor - open
Car/Editor - Locked
Gui/Gamemodes - open

+1
i think that if lfs will support mods natively (with the multi-folder idea like previously proposed, will be very easy to implement),it will make easier for devs to concentrate to the most important things as community will focus on more marginal things, i.e. the ghost-car mod, the snow-mod, the hi-res textures mods...in the latter case i also corrected few bugs on the forthcoming aston textures.
i'd to say that writing an external app to do all this (with seamless integration with lfs) it's an easy task and i thought to do it for myself...but if you await for me to do it in my spare time...well you'd better await for S3 ...

i also want to add that if phisics parameters may be moddable ONLY for offline usage, imagine what could be with things like the snow mod or a rainy mod...

Quake 3 style mod system
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG