The online racing simulator
FFB enhancer
(6 posts, started )
FFB enhancer
When I drive my real car (and this is true of any racing car, I imagine) I don't feel anything with my wheel. It's through my body that I sense all the bumps, the vibrations ant the road surface. So I think that the right thing for us sim racers in not the ffb in our wheels. It's something like buttkicker or bass shakers.

As the majority of us don't have these, we have to compensate this with our ffb wheels (I have a G27 by the way). With the ffb in lfs, almost all the time, I can't feel those bumps or road surfaces (blackwood).

But by using Juls FFB enhancer (dinput8.dll), I can feel everything in that track (with the xrg) and the driving is much more enjoyable.

So what do you think guys about this enhancer and can the developers integrate it in lfs. Thanks.
#2 - lfsrm
G27 user here too Smile.

LFS lack detailed track surface, that's why you can't get much bumps feeling from your wheel, maybe you need to try rockingham as it's a laser scanned track and maybe it's more detailed than other fictional tracks.

I don't think FFB enhancers of whatever are of any help in this case, realistic FFB come from raw physical data from suspension, tyres and the track surface so any fake canned effect will ruine the realism IMO.
I did some practice at Rockingham lake with the mini (UF1) and 2 or 3 races against the ai. This is a very good laser scanned track and all the bumps, the kerbs are there.

With the standard FFB it's difficult to feel them. This simulation is a masterpiece but the track feels flat (perhaps it is my G27)

With the FFB enhancer that little mini come to live and the feel of the bumps and the road surface is great. All is there in a very positive way. It has his flaws and it is not parfect but I think it works.

Feeling the bumps, the tires on the road is a very realistic thing but as I said earlier, in real life, it's not through the wheel that it is communicated to the driver. We are compromising here.

Rockingham is reproduced phenominally in lfs. It is as if I was there. Thanks to Flotch again.
The FFB in LFS does feel like it went limp a few versions ago.. I kind of remember it being better.

Like the only time it does anything is if you hit a wall, or jam the steering against a wall or something.
#5 - Ped7g
Quote from adirany :
Feeling the bumps, the tires on the road is a very realistic thing but as I said earlier, in real life, it's not through the wheel that it is communicated to the driver. We are compromising here.

Actually I don't get this point of yours, of course in ordinary modern production car you don't feel anything on wheel (and you can turn it with one finger), but in race cars (even with power steering) the connection is lot more direct, for example when racing in karts, I can feel on the wheel lot of stuff. Hm, thinking about it, bumps not that much (not when driving straight), because bumps produce most of the distortion in up/down direction, which doesn't affect steering, but if it's while cornering, it may even mildly "turn back" the wheel, like driving over strips in the corner. Plus the total vibrations of whole kart can be felt also on the wheel, although not that much in "turning" fashion.
Hi Ped7g.

In corners lfs ffb doesn't need any enhancer. It is already very good. I can feel the weight of the car very well. The problem is on the staights. For example in the long straight of blackwood it is someway annoying to not feel anything.

As I said the right thing is to disable completely the ffb in our wheels and use bass shakers instead.

I am curious to hear how it is by some guys that use them.

FFB enhancer
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG