The online racing simulator
1st Skin
(22 posts, started )
1st Skin
1st true attempt at a skin, figured Id share it and get some feedback. More to come for sure
Of course it does actually look better in certain areas, only took screenshot to capture it. Need to figure out a better way to get nicer looking pics.
Attached images
GTR27Racing.JPG
GTR27Back.JPG
Not bad m8, keep up the good work
Can you please post car skins in the relevant sections made available. Clue: Yours goes in the FZ section. Thanks and welcome
Quote from al heeley :Can you please post car skins in the relevant sections made available. Clue: Yours goes in the FZ section. Thanks and welcome

Gotcha, forgive the noob mistake. Had no idea about it.:slap:
Is there a way to send it there, or is that up to the moderators?
some suggestions:

1. make sure decals are fitting and not cut off (like the championship decal nad the one underneath the mirrors)
2. consider stretch: you need to shorten decals on the template for them to have real proportions on the car ingame. means the decals on the side, for example, look too wide/stretched otherwise.
3. when you use the viewer check how decal look when they are placed over corners, like in front of the rear wheel, as they get quite distorted there as well.
4. when you paint it (like the red bottom part) make sure the lines connect properly. for example at the rear, next to the borja-sticker.

you can find bunta's pro-kits for skinning (hi res templates in php format) on the master skinnerz site. these are excellent.

overall i think it's a great first skin that just needs a bit tidying up
hi i wasnt sure where to post this, but could someone give me feedback on one of my first proper skins. any critisism,(constructive or not, lol) would be appreciated.
Attached images
XFG_CS.jpg
Thanks for the comments. I do have a question, how on earth can you make "lines" or other shapes within PaintShop that you can fill with other colors, similiar to what BlueSkunk did? Im tired of working in the vert/horiz planes.

And Blue, I like that. Better than mine so far.

And I have figured out how to take the skins from Masters and work in the individual layers. Made a big difference in how the skins are coming out. Just need to get angles and curved fill areas now, and Ill be set.
Captain Slow, you are supposed to post it in the XF skins section.

Magic marker: you need to learn the marquee tool and the pen tool. Have a work thru some of the basic photoshop tutorials to be found on the web - that will help you get into photoshop really fast.
Quote :Captain Slow, you are supposed to post it in the XF skins section.

i realised this shortly after i posted it, so i have posted it in the xf section, sory for the mistake. wont happen again
On the subject of those lines matching, I can tell you, that's a very annoying work to do, especially (learned from experience) on the FZR. Look in the FZ skin thread, my McDonalds skin, it was VERY hard to match up those yellow linings on the car.

Would like some comments on that too, it's like everyone just ignores me I really have put a lotta work into that skin, it so sucks nobody gives any comment on it, good or bad.
I know Flippy, it also saddens me when i spend ages on a skin to post it up here then get no comments. Then i think, well I did not post it in order to receive a pat on the head from other forum members, I posted it cos I enjoyed designing it and creating it in Photoshop and if others want to use it then they are very welcome.
Flippy, are you using bunta's skin kits from Master Skinnerz forum? They have a highly accurate wire mesh that really help line up the texture wrapping areas, saves loads of time.
I know about those kits, but it's just such a hassle, and I'm not that good at paintshop, so I'll just keep on doing how I do it. I'm kinda looking for a new skin now, but I don't want it to be too hard, something like the McDonalds skin, with shapes, but not too complicated.

BTW, like I said I had help from the real driver of the car that wears this skin, and now I got free tickets from him to go to his next race on thursday! I'm even invited to see him in the pitbox *happy*
#13 - Smax
Quote from sgt.flippy :
BTW, like I said I had help from the real driver of the car that wears this skin, and now I got free tickets from him to go to his next race on thursday! I'm even invited to see him in the pitbox *happy*

Nice one! ain't it nice when you get some real reward you can measure out of it?
Yup, it felt great! It was like "omg omg omg" ... "Whiiii"
I found it very rewarding that the skin turned out pretty good, and I made it!
But getting an extra reward wasn't really my intention, but it's very nice!
Quote from sgt.flippy :On the subject of those lines matching, I can tell you, that's a very annoying work to do, especially (learned from experience) on the FZR. Look in the FZ skin thread, my McDonalds skin, it was VERY hard to match up those yellow linings on the car.

Would like some comments on that too, it's like everyone just ignores me I really have put a lotta work into that skin, it so sucks nobody gives any comment on it, good or bad.

Let me tell you, about 2 days ago you and I were racing. And youre skin so far is one of the tops Ive seen. I like it, for what its worth. I know what you mean about decals matching up, as for my car I started this post with. My newest creation isnt anything fancy, but its slowly getting there. Hard to work on learning tracks, figuring out setups, staying out of the way of faster drivers, and learning PSP all at once. And still working 8 hours a day to boot I do look forward to your next piece of art.
Quote from al heeley :Captain Slow, you are supposed to post it in the XF skins section.

Magic marker: you need to learn the marquee tool and the pen tool. Have a work thru some of the basic photoshop tutorials to be found on the web - that will help you get into photoshop really fast.

Like my post above says, where to find the time to learn everything . But I will eventually. I did finally figure out how to make angled lines. Felt kinda dumb after I saw how easy it was, but hey, the days wasted if you dont learn something.
Quote from MagicMarker27 :Like my post above says, where to find the time to learn everything . But I will eventually. I did finally figure out how to make angled lines. Felt kinda dumb after I saw how easy it was, but hey, the days wasted if you dont learn something.

Which version of PSP are you using? And do you mean Paintshop Pro or Photoshop? (A lot get them confused it seems

I use PSP7 a lot for my skins, and this is how I create a lot of my curves:
- Click the Draw tool
-Press 'T' to open the Tool Options palette
-From the dropdown on the first tab, select 'Bezeir Curve'
-Click and hold and drag to create a line, then release the mouse button
-Click again and hold, and drag and youll see a little line coming off of the other one from the first point. Dragging curves the line.
-Doing the above step a second time creates a line coming off of the second point to refine the curve (or create an 'S' curve if you wish)

Takes a little practice and tries to get the line you want, but if you are not working in Photoshop, this is the best way to do it in PSP that I've found. I don't know if/how this method works in other versions of PSP, though.
Quote from MAGGOT :Which version of PSP are you using? And do you mean Paintshop Pro or Photoshop? (A lot get them confused it seems

I use PSP7 a lot for my skins, and this is how I create a lot of my curves:
- Click the Draw tool
-Press 'T' to open the Tool Options palette
-From the dropdown on the first tab, select 'Bezeir Curve'
-Click and hold and drag to create a line, then release the mouse button
-Click again and hold, and drag and youll see a little line coming off of the other one from the first point. Dragging curves the line.
-Doing the above step a second time creates a line coming off of the second point to refine the curve (or create an 'S' curve if you wish)

Takes a little practice and tries to get the line you want, but if you are not working in Photoshop, this is the best way to do it in PSP that I've found. I don't know if/how this method works in other versions of PSP, though.

Its actually Adobe Photoshop CS Version 8, if thats any help to you. When I hit T, the TYPE tool opens up, but I think I might locate the Curve you are refering to, I know that MS Paint has it, and what Im using must as well. Lemme check. Holy geez I got it, its a little different, but I can draw straight lines, and add curves to them. My next problem will be to figure out how to use the new lines to "mask"? an area, so I can fill one side of it in a new color. So far, it just fills the entire jpeg in the color, lemme try it with a skinnerz pro and work with the layers. Hmm, I will have to work on this area, unless someone has a quicker idea. Thanks for the help MAGGOT, everyday is one day closer to catching up with you guys.

The biggest problem with the Help file or even searching the 'net, is that Im not quite sure what to actually google. I know what I want to do, but not to sure about the commands they would call it, or even remotely have a guess.
Ah, ok. I was talking about the method for use in Paintshop Pro 7. Completely different than in Photoshop.

In photoshop your best bet is to use the pen tool for designs, and the shape tools for certain shapes ( makes sense, eh? )

I'm horrible at explanations so I can't really explain how to use the pen tool, someone else will have to :P
Thank you very much about the comment on my skin, and if I can find a design that I like I'll make it.. But I haven't found any one I like yet, with enough pics.

On another note I went to the races today, and I saw the real car now, it was great!

I wish I could help you with the tools, but I use Paint Shop Pro 9.1

I saw you driving too, the skin you were using was good, but now I think you didn't made it yourself Well, to be honest, all the bends that are on my skin... I found out how to make them when I was making it I use vectors for it, and just click away nicely curved, and then I make them assymetric so they bend nicely and if something isn't how I want it, I toy a bit with it.
Quote from sgt.flippy :Thank you very much about the comment on my skin, and if I can find a design that I like I'll make it.. But I haven't found any one I like yet, with enough pics.

On another note I went to the races today, and I saw the real car now, it was great!

I wish I could help you with the tools, but I use Paint Shop Pro 9.1

I saw you driving too, the skin you were using was good, but now I think you didn't made it yourself Well, to be honest, all the bends that are on my skin... I found out how to make them when I was making it I use vectors for it, and just click away nicely curved, and then I make them assymetric so they bend nicely and if something isn't how I want it, I toy a bit with it.

Heh, oh no driver, I did make the Monster skin all by my lonesome. Nothing too fancy actually, if you notice, nothing wrapped around curves or other "layers". I got hooked on the colors, and still cant make curves or other shapes other than lines so far, and I just kept it simple. When I get a little better with Adobe, I will attempt #3 skin. In fact, maybe Ill work on it now, and see what it gets me, other than :chairfalland :arge:.
OK folks, my next creation is done, however I posted it in the proper area this time. Criticism, negative or positive, is appreciated

1st Skin
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG