The online racing simulator
New Smoke Effects
(6 posts, started )
New Smoke Effects
Hello,

Could this smoke effect be used in LFS?

Thank you,
Marino
As much as I like this, I'm not sure how well it would work in a three-dimensional environment where the smoke needs volume.

At the moment, smoke is achieved with hundreds of semi-transparent sprites to give the effect of a cloud. Applying the above method to each sprite would result in hundreds of calculations every time someone locked their wheels.

I can definitely see something like this happening in the future, but I don't think it's something that can be implemented into the current build of LFS by applying it as a texture map.

That said, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong Smile
Quote :"This application uses a GPU based 3D fluid solver with a moving domain to seamlessly advect hundreds of thousands of particles. We use a globally second-order accurate fluid simulation method which takes constant calculation time, leading to a highly turbulent but stable simulation suitable for use in a real-time situation. In this demo our solver is used to simulate the turbulent wake behind a car, and we render smoke transported through that wake with a hardware-based volume renderer. The simulation domain is at a fixed position relative to the car, and we exploit Galilean invariance to transform the moving simulation domain into a motionless domain with inflow and outflow boundary conditions. Particles are advected through this fluid, but seamlessly transition to simple Newtonian dynamics as they leave the simulation domain. After simulation, the particles are sorted using a GPU-accelerated radix sort, and then rendered as alpha blended sprites with motion blur and volumetric shadows."

Computer graphics is rapidly moving forward.

The above demo can serve for developing a 3D fluid simulator.
Muhahahaha... Yea that Smoke would so Epic nice Big grin
If only you knew what you're talking about... Those demo's are fun, but try to get those in an actual game. Why are there pretty much no games with that kind of smoke you think? Imagine that with 20+ players on a server. Your PC will not be able to render that at a decent framerate.
Maybe not now but in future, this kind of smoke effects will be seen in computer simulations. I'm sure LFS engine could render this. Maybe not on full detail but you would see a big difference. The key is in the PCs GPU capabilities.

New Smoke Effects
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG