The online racing simulator
Questions about ban vote ('XXX Pimpmasters' server)
When I just had joined the 'XXX Pimpmasters' server for a SO Classic FOX race there was a huge T1 crash going on. People started a ban vote against the person that caused it, that guy left and then they started voting against me.
I hadn't even joined the track at that time and I don't think I have a reputation of being a wrecker either, so I guess they did the vote by mistake.

Don't want to start a whining thread, but I have two questions:

1. Do these kind of bans automatically wear off after 24 hours?
2. If you look at the attached chat log file, why did the vote against me start with 3 votes? It seems like the votes against the guy that left were still counted against me, is that a bug?
Attached images
ban.gif
all i can say is unlucky m8! i went mental because the guy who was the REAL wrecker didnt get banned, where as you did...

that real wrecker litterally wrekced about 5 times in a row....

as far as i know i think it wears off after 24 hours for your first ban.
Vote bans last 24 hours, an admin ban can last for any amount of time.
1. Yes, vote bans expire after 24 Hours, as ayrton pointed out.
2. I've never seen a ban vote going on for two or more players at the same time, since it would make no sense. How do you distinguish the players in the ban vote, since you can only vote with a single key? So it looks like the previous votes were somehow retained erroneously. I'm sorry for that too.
Side note: as I stated in another thread, having the vote activity visible in the replay would be useful.
aplogies
may i just apologise on behalf of the XXX team - this wont happen again!!

I will go and Unban You ASAP!

Peace & Sorry
Thank you very much neil, no offense taken!
I am sorry I did finish the vote, but I did belive on the other guys that said you was a crasher.
But I appoligize, this was my misstake, and I promiss you it will not happen again. Hope we can sort this out, and we can have some good racing in future.
Take care, and again sorry
I just would like to point out that in my opinion the ban appears to be the result of a strange LFS behaviour, so the administrators and those who voted, included The Very End, bear no particular guilt. It's quite obvious they didn't realise that they were banning the wrong person, according to the picture atop1234 posted. It's quite understandable in the heat of the race and also as an apparent result of a program issue. Nice answers too. I'm happy to see that this thread hasn't been transformed into another "named and shamed" one.
#9 - ORION
Interesting bug report. Those 2 votes should indeed not be transmitted to another guy in another ban vote.
Quote from The Very End :I am sorry I did finish the vote, but I did belive on the other guys that said you was a crasher.
But I appoligize, this was my misstake, and I promiss you it will not happen again. Hope we can sort this out, and we can have some good racing in future.
Take care, and again sorry

No problem, I think Albieg explained it very well in his last posting. :grouphug:
Strange indeed! I wouldn't like to be the one carrying the votes against a wrecker who just disconnected!

What I found funny in the screenshot was "unnamed vote to ban...". Usually the guy who is using the name "unnamed" is the wrecker.
you should post this in the bug report forum as well
#13 - SamH
We don't have vote banning on our servers because all too often the wrong guy gets banned - as in this case - or a newbie gets banned by oft-named "prima donnas", or people just get seriously agitated during some intense racing and start vote bans to relieve stress.

Sometimes it's too easy to just press 1, trusting that the vote in progress is right and fair. It's not always that clear-cut. We learned our lesson on SO1/FOX, which is really where the concept of the barricade was born.

neilmichaelcasey, nicely on the ball there! Swiftly and fairly resolved, kudos to the XXX Pimps!
Actually, SamH, things are quite interesting in the image atop1234 submitted. No matter what one may think about vote banning, something strange happened there. Anyone got some explanation, apart from a possible bug?
When the first guy was voted for ban, then disconnected, someone obviously voted at that moment by clicking the connection list rather than "1" on the keyboard. atop's name probably moved up into the list at the moment the other guy disconnected and that is why a vote for him initially came up. I've seen that happen many many times.

The fact that the vote against atop started at 3 votes is very strange. I can't think of what could have caused that.
I see that more as an erroneous continuation of the vote: somehow atop substituted the other driver in the vote. That could explain why the votes were retained, and also explains ayrton's wonder. A strange problem, indeed.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG