The online racing simulator
Skin dds.
(8 posts, started )
Skin dds.
There should be a way for the skins being converted to dds into the X folder, to have a size less than 100x100. So other players would not have access to private skins, not being able to convert them to jpg.
#2 - Ped7g
What? :-o

IIRC, you can upload to lfsworld fake skin (which will be shown to other players when online), and update local skin file on your disk, so you will see your correct skin on your computer = problem solved.

If you want others to see your skin, you are making it technically public, the data are available. Decent people will respect your wish to not use it, if you say so, but there is no way to have both display of skin, and not providing data of skin, at the same time. (and "dds" doesn't prevent anything, you think it's difficult to convert it to other formats?)

Or don't use custom skins at all, it's just look of the car, who cares...
I believe you did not understand what I meant. I'm here asking if there might be some way for other players not to convert the images. And yes, I know very well that it is possible to convert an image and that at the moment there is something that prevents this from happening, but could have. Thanks for the reply.
#4 - Ped7g
"I'm here asking if there might be some way for other players not to convert the images."

I had that suspicion, but I assumed you understand how computer works... apparently not.

Well, let's just answer it by simple "that's not possible at all". (I'm not here to school you about details, especially when I'm not sure if you are actually interested).
Congratulations! Thank you for your great patience.
I've figure out a way.
#6 - asyed
I think he means to add an encrypted file format,
#7 - Ped7g
Hm, maybe. But how does that prevent from taking the skin for example directly from GPU, when you are watching it in game? (I mean without hassle of breaking into LFS and finding proper decryption key, which would take probably just few more hours/days than GPU extraction).

It will never work in principle, you can make it more complicated, but you can't make it work principally. If other do see the skin in-game (MP or replay), then there is way to extract it.

Creating some complex scheme how to make it harder is just wasting Scawen's time. If you don't want your skin to be public, don't upload it to lfsworld and watch it alone. Works flawlessly (unless somebody steals it directly from your machine).
#8 - asyed
I know datamining is a thing, but LFS isn't that big. People aren't as big on creating hacks/etc, otherwise we would have NTO 0.6T, or even a setup extractor updated and available.

That being said I agree with Ped7g, Scawen's time could be used doing other things that would increase quality of LFS to a much greater extent than something as minor as "skin locking"

Skin dds.
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG