The online racing simulator
Gti Beginner Car Setup
(49 posts, started )
Try to post a replay. I'm sure we can cut 2-3 sec from that time.
I'm rather embarrassed to upload laps of such inconsistency, so just check that one lap that I did the 1:38:14 . Thanks for any help you guys can give. I'm gonna try that analyzer program as well.
Attached files
Afterlife2k_BL1_XFG_13814.spr - 219.3 KB - 141 views
Best bet afterlife is to watch a replay and use set up of the chap who's done a 1:33:10- round blackwood in the gti.

I'm still three and bit seconds off but it helped me no end to get closer.
I agree, use the PartyboyU latest set! It just rocks.

Download the replay and watch the braking points (you will need to adjust it to your style of driving), also try to minimaze wheel turning (turn as little as possible) and most important --> dont give up

Im playing a little over a month now and i got to 1.33.77 (PB) and still droping slowly.

GTI is so fun to me that after purchasing the game, i will probably still drive it the most.

Bye (and sorry for my English)
Quote from afterlife2k :I'm rather embarrassed to upload laps of such inconsistency, so just check that one lap that I did the 1:38:14 . Thanks for any help you guys can give. I'm gonna try that analyzer program as well.

To be honest, that was some very nice driving. Your lines are pretty much dead on and you have good car control. The only reason you're not running 35's or 34's is your setup. The default setup is way soft, has an open front diff (so you don't get the power down exiting), too much brake force (so you have to be very careful not to lock up) and overall not enough grip.

Go here:
http://setupfield.teaminferno. ... ar_id=31&p_version=S2

Download one or all of the GTI setups, put them in your data\settings folder, select the one you want in the pits and watch your lap times drop. The bad news is that you are used to the poor response and grip of the default set, so you'll have to adapt to the new one...the good news is that you seem to have picked up a lot of car control skills trying to keep the poor handling car in check, so it shouldn't take you too long to learn what's possible.
Thanks for the feedback. I still notice a lot of areas where I can improve which will save me another second or two, and I guess a good setup will shave off even more. I was trying to see how far I can get on the default setup before doing any modifications, but I guess I'll start trying out other existing setups. I'm still at 1:38:14, but I haven't been running LFS for a few days now, so I'll probably have to get back into the swing of things. Thanks
Quote : Im playing a little over a month now and i got to 1.33.77 (PB) and still droping slowly.

GTI is so fun to me that after purchasing the game, i will probably still drive it the most.

It is a fun car, but when you start getting into trying the others (I've been mainly driving the FOX lately), and you haven't driven the GTI for a while, the moment you get back in, ... it's, ...it's, soooo sloooooow...

You will probably have better reflexes though.. I used to play snake on the mobile phone @ highest difficulty, then drop it down one level, and then it's a piece of cake, because you're used to the higher speed. But if you're like me (and it sounds like you aren't- 1.33.77, I'm so envious :shrug the inferiour handling of the GTI may cause some problems and end up balancing the reflexive edge you may have gained. Still can't get past 1.35.55 myself...

Edit:- I posted my pb. There's probably some pretty bad driving in there...
Attached files
Electrik Kar_BL1_XFG_13555.spr - 156.5 KB - 126 views
Well, I just downloaded the partyboy setup, and ran it, fastest 1:36:92 after a little more than 20 laps, outta probably 50. So, yeah, I expected this sort of improvement with a fast setup, but I also recognize where I can shave off even some more. I've only run with this setup for about 50 laps, so I'm pretty new to it. I get loose at some places, so I have to learn to control it. Overall, I notice the changes, espcially with the brake bias. I can brake harder without having to nurture the brake to prevent lockup. I'm happy, and I'm gonna keep going at it until I get anywhere in 1:35. I think it's a good goal for me to reach for before i move onto full blown S2
I did the same thing. I had a goal to go "benchmark" times on all three cars before buying S2. "Goal" was made a few days ago, so now, im posting the first time as a S2 licenced . Rox, see yaa on the track.

Before i end, watch some replays (not WR, try someone who has the time you wish to drive). Watch braking points, how much is he turning the wheel, lines,... Use F2 and F3 (fast forward,...) and just study one corner after another. Just try to go the same speed thrue corners, try to copy the lines.

I still think much can be learned by playing online.

Hope your times improve, bye.

ru7 [SLO]
Quote from afterlife2k :Well, I just downloaded the partyboy setup, and ran it, fastest 1:36:92 after a little more than 20 laps, outta probably 50. So, yeah, I expected this sort of improvement with a fast setup, but I also recognize where I can shave off even some more. I've only run with this setup for about 50 laps, so I'm pretty new to it. I get loose at some places, so I have to learn to control it. Overall, I notice the changes, espcially with the brake bias. I can brake harder without having to nurture the brake to prevent lockup. I'm happy, and I'm gonna keep going at it until I get anywhere in 1:35. I think it's a good goal for me to reach for before i move onto full blown S2

You mentioned brakes - they are incredibly important if you want to set fast times. Too much front brake and you won't be able to make the turn in while still braking. This will mean you have to brake earlier and get it done before you turn in which costs a load of time. Keep adding rear brake until the back starts to step out when you hit them. Then you know you've gone too far.
Quote from Gentlefoot :You mentioned brakes - they are incredibly important if you want to set fast times. Too much front brake and you won't be able to make the turn in while still braking. This will mean you have to brake earlier and get it done before you turn in which costs a load of time. Keep adding rear brake until the back starts to step out when you hit them. Then you know you've gone too far.

This is a good tip. At T1 especially, it's hard to get into the corner if there's too much front brake. I've just recently turned off 'brake help' which has netted me a better average speed and a better 1st split. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner...
Yeah, that the most major thing I noticed about the default set and the partyboy setup. On the default setup, I had to brake hard, but let off almost immediately while downshifting, because I'd start to lose traction. With the partyboy setup, I can mash on the brakes without locking them up. Really cool, and a lot of speed to be found from that. Thanks for the tips
+Since he's using a mouse, if you're driving with a wheel there may be even better setups out there for you... I don't really know whether some setups are better suited to one control device over others, but maybe that's the way it is.
Quote from PartyBoyU :illepall

I edited that post a little too late...

But don't facts speak for themselves...? If someone using a wheel cannot beat a WR set by a mouse user, it either means that the mouse racer is incredibly freakishly talented (i'll admit that :nod, or that racing with a mouse is no handicap... fleshing out in reverse, there's no advantage when driving with a wheel. Or the mouse racer is incredibly freakishly talented...
Quote from Electrik Kar :Or the mouse racer is incredibly freakishly talented...

not realy...

Mouse drivers have chance to fight with wheel drives because XFG is no power car. I think there's huge advantage when driving with a wheel(acc/brake analog ), and about that wr is like this, fast wheel drivers dont spend too much time driving XFG because is extra slow, those guys prefer Power Cars

ps.sry for my english
Since we're on the subject of setup I thought I'd mention Bob's guide to setting up. Sorry, just had a quick look for a link but can't find it. Anyone know?

Anyway, that guide tells you everything you need to know with regards what does what in your suspension setting etc.

Also, someone asked me the process I go through when setting up a car and this is what I wrote:

"I start by thinking about the characteristics of the car and think about what kind of balance I may need. I then think about the circuit and its nature. i.e. how bumpy is it, are there a lot of undulations, fast or slow corners. That gives me an idea of the kind of spring rates I might need. I then set my springs and rollbars and do a quick test to see how the balance feels. I make sure my brakes are set mainly on the front so they don't effect things.

I try and improve the balance by adjusting rates.

If the balance is about right I start to do some proper testing and see how the car behaves over the kerbs/bumps/undulations. I then adjust the dampers to improve this whilst trying to maintain the balance.

Once I've got the car feeling right I start to add grip to the front with camber adjustments. Maybe I'll have different angles on left and right wheels to suit particular corners. I always try to maximise rear grip with the camber angles I choose. As I add grip to the front I may make other changes to compensate and maintain the balance.

Once the brakes are set the car is pretty ready. All that is left now is loads of testing and improving times. As I do this I notice the nuances of the track and make small changes to suit. When the set gets me a good time I keep it, copy it and create V2. I'm on V5 Blackwood XFG

Sometimes I will start over because, maybe I've got too much front bar and it pushes on over some bumps at an apex or something. Then I start all over again! But it's not wasted time because I've learnt a whole load about the track/car.

Also, I look at other peoples sets in hotlaps and have a quick drive. If they feel much better than mine then I'll start over again, again LOL."
Quote from afterlife2k :Well, I just downloaded the partyboy setup, and ran it, fastest 1:36:92 after a little more than 20 laps, outta probably 50. So, yeah, I expected this sort of improvement with a fast setup, but I also recognize where I can shave off even some more. I've only run with this setup for about 50 laps, so I'm pretty new to it. I get loose at some places, so I have to learn to control it. Overall, I notice the changes, espcially with the brake bias. I can brake harder without having to nurture the brake to prevent lockup. I'm happy, and I'm gonna keep going at it until I get anywhere in 1:35. I think it's a good goal for me to reach for before i move onto full blown S2

There are a couple of corners where you will have to make adjustments. With a proper set you should be able to brake much later and harder for T1. Brake at ~80m, drop it into third as you hit the brake and shift to 2nd before you enter. Ignore the tire squeal while braking and decrease the brake pressure as you turn in. Try to get on the throttle very early so it doesn't understeer too much.
And try not to brake for the last corner. If you turn in early and decisive enough, you'll be able to get through with just a quick lift while entering. You want to destabilize the car just a tad.

Oh, and get rid of the extra fue because it's weighing down your car. Most fast sets tend to cook the tires after a number of laps, so it's better to do 4 x 5 laps instead of 20 in a row, at least if you're going for lap times. Try 7-8% fuel.
Quote :(acc/brake analog )

There was someone a while back who suggested that you could maybe use 'mouse up' for acceleration and 'mouse down' for brake. I forget the details. Anyone have any luck with this?
-
(PartyBoyU) DELETED by PartyBoyU
Quote from Electrik Kar :'mouse up' for acceleration and 'mouse down' for brake

if this is possible, u cant press acc and brake in same moment so this is bad idea, no hope for mousers hehe
Here's a few laps, my new pb is on lap 6, 1.35.09. Any advice? :eclipseeh

This is starting to interfere with making textures..!
Attached files
Electrik Kar_BL1_XFG_13509.spr - 233 KB - 149 views
Shows naked eye that you lose time on each section of track. First of all, bad bad racing line. You have only 164 kmh, but you should have 166kmh on 1st split. You move too fastly to curves. Compare ur spr with mine in AnalyzeForSpeed, this software show u all. (language barrier )
Thanks PartyBoyU ,

Will work on it...
Take a look at these two lines:

I'm exaggerating a little, but the first pic essentially shows what you're doing and the second one shows what you should be doing. You're in the right spot at the apex, but your car is still facing virtually straight, which means you have to slow down a lot to make the corner.
You should stay outside longer, turn in later and position the car in such a way that you can slowly start to open the steering as you go past the apex.

Gti Beginner Car Setup
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG