The online racing simulator
[Solved] Confusion with groups
Hello everyone

So lately I was reading my entire cruise script to ensure stability and eliminate any bugs I see.
I came across to my server ranks which are, Administrator, Staff Member, Cop and Tow. Obviously I need a group for these ranks. But my understanding to UserGroups is very limited and I have very little to no experience with them (other than being too confusing..)

My question is, How can I use UserGroup for these ranks that I've created? And how Important is UserGroupFromFile(strings) and UserGroupToFile(strings) are? and what are they exactly/what do they do?
** Best answer **
In order for Lapper to know to which group a user belongs, the function UserGroup has been created.
To read who's in which group, text-files are read, which need to be filled with LFS usernames.
So best thing to do is to create several text-files using the ranks you have, like: administrator.txt , staff.txt , cop.txt , tow.txt
Then put the correct LFS usernames in these file, with each user on its own line like:

Yisc[NL]
iceman121

At some point in your cruise script you read these files into the 'memory' of Lapper and from that point, you will be able to use them anywhere in your script.
Of course you can put new people in a group (or remove someone from a group) and once you did that, you can tell Lapper to write a new file (same name, but with current values for that group) of that particular group.

I hope it makes some sense, as I can't explain more here from work.
Quote from Yisc[NL] :In order for Lapper to know to which group a user belongs, the function UserGroup has been created.
To read who's in which group, text-files are read, which need to be filled with LFS usernames.
So best thing to do is to create several text-files using the ranks you have, like: administrator.txt , staff.txt , cop.txt , tow.txt
Then put the correct LFS usernames in these file, with each user on its own line like:

Yisc[NL]
iceman121

At some point in your cruise script you read these files into the 'memory' of Lapper and from that point, you will be able to use them anywhere in your script.
Of course you can put new people in a group (or remove someone from a group) and once you did that, you can tell Lapper to write a new file (same name, but with current values for that group) of that particular group.

I hope it makes some sense, as I can't explain more here from work.

Helping people even when you're at work. I like your priorities Big grin. However I got the hang of UserGroups now hopefully. Don't blame me If I make a new thread about it again LOL, they're really confusing sometimes.

Thanks a lot. Smile
A tutorial about Usergroups whould be Usefull.
Will see, if i have time for to make one.
Quote from iceman121 :Helping people even when you're at work. I like your priorities Big grin. However I got the hang of UserGroups now hopefully. Don't blame me If I make a new thread about it again LOL, they're really confusing sometimes.

Thanks a lot. Smile

Don't create a new thread if it's about the same subject, just continue here if needed.
My work is on a helpdesk, so helping people is always the right priority Wink
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG