The online racing simulator
Linux version of LFS
(31 posts, started )
Linux version of LFS
i am going to ditch XP one day as i dont want to run vista, long story, So can i run LFS on linux though something or would dev relaese linux files?

Jay
#2 - TiJay
I've seen shots here of it running through... something or other. WINE probably.
#3 - Vain
The devs would need to rewrite the GFX engine to openGL, so LFS is propably not going to ever run natively on Linux.
But the game worked well via wine when I last checked, though there is no way to get FF running.
Perhaps the wine effort will someday bring FF to linux...

Vain
My bro ran LFS on Linux for ages. Everything worked fine under WINE, but unfortunately Forcefeedback is currently not support in WINE IIRC.

There should be some threads about this over on RSC, my bro did quite a bit of work even getting his wheel to work. I will get him to find the links if you are interested.

At the moment though, my bro has a copy of WinXP running on a seperate hard-drive just to run LFS. Windows 98 used to work fine too until he upgraded his PC to dual core etc. So a bare-bones Windows system is often the easiest solution to make sure everything work for LFS. You would just need to switch between OSs.
LFS does also run under Cedega (last time I checked, it was around V 4), formerly known as WineX, which _should_ also support Force Feedback effects.
Activation of LFS seems to be not a big problem either anymore.
Only think I am missing to be able to switch to linux on my Desktop is the missing force feedback support for my DFP under Linux:/
Tys
just run xp under vmware virtualpc or something like that.
Quote from george_tsiros :just run xp under vmware virtualpc or something like that.

Just show me VMWare or VirtualPC or something like that with decent accelerated 3d...
Just install Windows 98 or XP on a second partition. It's better for gaming anyway.
#9 - ORION
Quote from vrooom :i am going to ditch XP one day as i dont want to run vista, long story, So can i run LFS on linux though something or would dev relaese linux files?

Jay

You cant circumvent this, because there will be no DirectX 10 on any other platform except Vista. Thus in a few years, there will be no new game that can be played on a non-Vista Computer. I personally like that idea - the less different platforms, the less problems
I really hope they will also make some sort of "forced updates", so everyone will have the same version of the OS
And you'll only be able to run licensed, government approved software. Great...
rebel!
Quote from IReallyHateBureaucracy :And you'll only be able to run licenced, government approved software. Great...

You will also be required to provide a sample of your DNA, a retina scan, and prints of all your figers and toes for governement verification before the PC will even boot...LOL

Seriously, I am a fan of Linux, but it simply will not run everything I need, at least not with the reliability I require. Emulation software is often a performance killer in itself. Perhaps some day...
-
(IReallyHateBureaucracy) DELETED by IReallyHateBureaucracy
#13 - Woz
There are threads on this already, please use search...

Such as "Will it run under Mac", "Will it run under Linux"

If you want to run a minority operating system that is fine BUT you should not expect software to be ported to your platform. Try emulation or run a dual boot with XP for games.

LFS will not be ported in the near future unless MS release DX for other systems.
I believe one of the mg guys ran LFS along side unbuntu
-
(IReallyHateBureaucracy) DELETED by IReallyHateBureaucracy : There's no point.
What would be useful, and probably much more doable, since there's no need for DX for this, is to have a dedicated server that runs on Linux without Wine/Cedega. I've got a bunch of servers with plenty of resources to run LFS as a server, but when you add in the overhead of Wine and the requirement to export the GUI somewhere (or run X), it gets to be a bit much.
Or you could run the dedi in invisible mode, thus (technically) no need for X.

Although I agree, a native LFS daemon would be very nice
Quote from nathanm :What would be useful, and probably much more doable, since there's no need for DX for this, is to have a dedicated server that runs on Linux without Wine/Cedega. I've got a bunch of servers with plenty of resources to run LFS as a server, but when you add in the overhead of Wine and the requirement to export the GUI somewhere (or run X), it gets to be a bit much.

It is quite doable and wine does not have that much overhead. For x, you can configure wine to use tty output instead.
But, once again, I really would like to be able to PLAY the game running Linux. That includes force feedback.
Only way I see atm is getting much better at programming (2 more years), learn driver programming (5 more yrs experience), then program a joystick driver for the windows side that gets its in- and output via TCP/IP, concurrently run a VMWARE session to wine, use the USB functionality of VMWARE to address the wheel and connect the two drivers via TCP (duh).
(guess, I'll be just using windows)
Regards, Tys
Even if one could make the LFS/Wine combo run without X, you'd have to have the X libs and headers installed to compile it in the first place. (Now you're going to tell me to download a binary. ).

Don't get me wrong, I'd looove to be able to play LFS on Linux without any emulation, but I'd get more use out of a dedicated server. It would save me from having to waste what few extra CPU cycles and I have on the overhead of running it. More importantly, it would save gobs of memory.

In the end, we make do with what we have, so I use a spare Windows machine and a DSL line, but I'd much rather have a server on 100Mbit Ethernet, and I can't really afford to do that if I have to use half my memory running Wine...

Maybe one day I'll be rich and can afford things like dedicated Windows servers. As it is, I play LFS on an Athlon XP 2100.
Lets assume you use Debian for argument's sake (I'm a Debian guy, sorry). If you install GPG from any of the common APT repositories, you'll find it requires libusb - because of the smartcard capabilities it has. Not useful on a server. Of course, you can custom compile it, but in practise how many of us do? I know 1 guy out of hundreds. There are thousands of other examples like this, across all distro's not just Debian; be it Fedora, SuSE, etc.

If you have GD installed, again you'll find you have a large number of X libraries already. Seriously, if you're that short on diskspace or memory, then you seriously want to start thinking about the next package up, or upgrading your box.

If you happen to be Gentoo nut, then I assume non of the above will apply to you (unless you happen to emerge everything - in which case, whats the point?), but then thats your own fault for spending your life compiling every little thing ;-)

tbh, if the community got together and created an open, or alternative for linux serving, then I'm sure the dev's wouldnt mind too much (what with all th extra exposure). The problem is that its;
1. a shit load of work for us to reverse engineer, and then keep on top of changes to the netcode
2. we'd always be chasing Scawen (see: Samba, for instance)

I dont know if this has been pointed out recently, but Scawen has said in the past that his *ix experience isnt very vast, which is why we havent seen anything like this.

For reference, I'm totally willing to try the above (reverse engineering), or help out test compiling, running test builds, etc. I'm just a little short on time on too many occasions, what with work and my family life at the moment.
LFS runs well
I haven't posted to the forums in awhile, to busy racing. I thought I'd give an update. At this time I am running Ubuntu 5.10 patched with last updates to the packages. I haven't updated recently. I use cedega 4.3.2-1, with phenominal results. I get between 60 and 160 fps depending on what track, and how many cars are running.

On another note... If you like a group of companies having control of what you play ,read, listen to, or browse, then it is well and good that MS gets its way. I think people with the "less different platforms, less problems" mentality will be fine in their windows world. I for one will like my freedom. I for one have no problem running a minority OS... come to think of it, thats why I run Linux. I have no problems with the OS. Just some of the programs and lack of support. But even I have been able to get around the support issue by using my head and buying hardware from companies that support my freedom. I also can work my way around the program issue if I choose.

P.S. I offer up proof. Ubuntu 6.01 is even better.
Attached images
screenie.jpg
Thats nice to know, I've been considering Cedega for a while now (But can't purchase due to no credit card (age = 14)) and now that LFS can run in it, along with HL2 and stuff, I may consider installing SuSE and do some playing, or possibly even Ubuntu.

I've tryed before with CVS Cedega, but it seems like they purposely leave files out so it won't compile.
Quote from tecwizrd :I haven't posted to the forums in awhile, to busy racing. I thought I'd give an update. At this time I am running Ubuntu 5.10 patched with last updates to the packages. I haven't updated recently. I use cedega 4.3.2-1, with phenominal results. I get between 60 and 160 fps depending on what track, and how many cars are running.

----schanip----
So, that means force feedback is working well?
SCNR, Tys
Quote from St4Lk3R :@jamesrowe: AFAIK you can also get the cedega sources for free from the website... but it seems to be quite hard to compile.

There are theories that Transgaming purposely breaks the CVS to make it impossible to compile, and I agree with it becuase I have never gotten it o compile ever. That's wy I just said "Screw it, I like my games and my linux, I'll buy cedega" and I've never been happier.
Would also have been be my next question
Quote from bahrain :I believe one of the mg guys ran LFS along side unbuntu

that would have been me hehehe
I have dual partition on my laptop, XP one, ubuntu linux other... i have just playing about run LFS on wine and CrossOver office aswel
You need a fast pc really to do it, as the computer needs to work faster then it would running on a windows pc. but it can be done
That would be Ubuntu Dapper Drake by the way

Linux version of LFS
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG