The online racing simulator
I wish we could throw fire through the exhaust
I wish we could throw fire through the exhaust
it's being caused by an engine which doesn't completely burn fuel, in other words, an inefficient or badly tuned engine. Low chances this is going to be created. Although fuel / air mixture settings would be a big step forward into racing setups. But maybe a bit too much detail for a simulator like this.
#3 - BeNoM
"an inefficient or badly tuned engine."

Apart from practically every finely tuned race-car ever.
unburned fuel is a waste of energy so it can not be a "finely tuned" race car ever. You don't see fire out of an exhaust of a F1 car do you? It's because it's a waste of energy.

Finding the right fuel mixture in every situation of the power band is a very precise task. It's called fuel mapping. If you manage to have the correct fuel map for the entire rpm band then you get the most out of the engine. And.. Hench.. It's then tuned to the finest. I say it again; fuel in an exhaust is a waste and an indication something is wrong with the fuel map.
It is not possible to generalize like that.
engine mapping for efficiency is one possibility, Another is optimizing for maximum power without regard to efficiency. Extreme example would be dragsters.
Less extreme, rallye cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c22ilU4zqg8

It depends on the rules of the series how much fuel one can afford to "waste" for what gain in power. F1 cars used to throw flames sometimes, I think because their engines were run so fuel-rich that not all fuel was used. (the limiting factor is how much air gets into the engine, some waste was acceptable if it gave better overall performance)
#6 - BeNoM
"You don't see fire out of an exhaust of a F1 car do you?"

Huh? I've been to the Australian F1 grand prix many times and seen flames quite a bit (although some years couldn't see any due to where the exhausts on the cars were).

must be reaaaallllllyy tough rubber around that suspension bar. Come on, this is nonsense.
#8 - lucaf
How this improvement suggestion turned into besserwissering? I see flames in modern sims and they look awesome
#9 - BeNoM
Most racing cars create flames, fact. You've obviously never been to any tracks if you think otherwise, I've been to many F1, V8 Supercar and other race touring events and have always seen flames from the cars.
I was responding to FreeScirocco, not you Tongue
Ye, well on some days the sun is shining outside. You obviously never been outside if you think otherwise.

I mean... You bring up arguments which has nothing to do with the conversation. It was about "finely tuned engines", it's funny to go sidetracked with obviously photoshopped images and what not but it's missing the point. I stick with posting #2 in this topic and over and out.
when the engine is slowing down quickly you always have a part of not burned gas ... so it is quite common to see it on cars (especially race ones) with a hot exhaust. This does not mean it is not well done. This is just physics. Note that in LFS we have cars that may use a carburetor, who knows Tongue And there it was quite impossible to avoid this phenomenom on some models ^^
On topic, it is a nice effect, but I fear it can be time consumming for ... not so much Big grin
Quote from Flotch :Note that in LFS we have cars that may use a carburetor

Which one that would be then? Most LFS cars are practically from 90ies to 2005ish - an era where only few retarded manufacturers used carburators just on their cheapest models...
some early 90s cars still have carburetor : the Gti, UF1000 are likely, but why not the TBO aswell.
I own a polo from 1989 with a carburetor (and an impressive 1050cc), but no fire I admit Big grin .
For modern cars, my C63 is doing lots of noise in the back when braking hard, I would not be surprised that you could have some small fires in some circumstances, and the car is following the european rules to not pollute too much
Quote from FreeScirocco :unburned fuel is a waste of energy so it can not be a "finely tuned" race car ever. You don't see fire out of an exhaust of a F1 car do you? It's because it's a waste of energy.

Finding the right fuel mixture in every situation of the power band is a very precise task. It's called fuel mapping. If you manage to have the correct fuel map for the entire rpm band then you get the most out of the engine. And.. Hench.. It's then tuned to the finest. I say it again; fuel in an exhaust is a waste and an indication something is wrong with the fuel map.

Well...

https://youtu.be/egwL54IlhRg?t=2m6s
Well what? This shows proper engine management to you? Youtube is full of videos like this of stupid people blowing up their engine, this engine was probably getting scrapped anyway.

Like I said before, you can create fire out of an exhaust but it's a waste.
You're a good troll, you definitely had me fooled. You can stop trolling now...
I think I side with FreeScirocco's thoughts of it. After several threads and pages across the internet, I think it is nothing but just stupid show-off, just like burnout.

But I admit it, despite being stupid, it looks damn cool!

EDIT: HOWEVER, it does not mean it is BADLY tuned engine. In this thread there are many things left which have not given thought about it: Fuel, Timing, Type, Material and other indirect aspects. But it is not perfect either due simply limitations. Or even rules regulations in motorsport.

EDI2: But why backfire occurs on tuned engines? There is various thoughts of it, but I think it has to do about because calculations about power/loss ratio, overshooting with offset tuned engine for better result, rather than having less power = less power loss. This is because competition in terms of motorsport.

Still, my thought isn't on perfect scale and won't bother to go more detailed shot for it, but I stick with FreeScirocco's thoughts. ( Well... facts ) With assist of Gutholz's as well.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG