The online racing simulator
Do you like roller coasters?
(27 posts, started )

I ask this because yesterday i rode Kingda Ka and it was insane. 0-120 mph in 3 seconds. 456 feet high. There must have been 4 g-forces when you get blasted at thge start.
Yeah, I do, but I HATE "spinny" things with a passion, I took my daughter to Great Yarmouth at the weekend and we must have rode there old wooden coaster a hundred times, then I got dragged on some "spinny" rides and felt awfully sick!!.

Dan,
I've thrown up after a waltzer on two occasions. Don't think it was just the Waltzer - first time I'd had a bout 4 pints beforehand and the second time I'd eaten several red and blacks
Yea, spinning thingys arent that fun. But rollercoasters are guite lame here. But one thing which sucks is that you cant wear glasses, doesnt really the same if you cant see enything, Im half blind without
RappaZ, where was that at? Sounds like the dragster at Cedar Point.

I love rollercoasters, but the last time I was at an amusement park was 1989 when the Magnum 200 was opened at Cedar Point. At the time it was the highest and fastest in the US or the world, can't remember which. I rode it 2 weeks after it opened and we let several ahead of us to get the front seat. When we got off and walked around, we saw the next train of cars stuck at the top of the hill for 2 hours!!! Half was hanging over the hill and half was still on the up-side. Now that would have sucked. Glad we didn't let 2 more folks ahead of us.
Quote from danowat :Yeah, I do, but I HATE "spinny" things with a passion, I took my daughter to Great Yarmouth at the weekend and we must have rode there old wooden coaster a hundred times, then I got dragged on some "spinny" rides and felt awfully sick!!.

Dan,

i'm exactly the same! I love roller-coasters, they cant build them big enough and fast enough if you ask me. but when it comes to spinny things.... [exit stage right]
Blackout, I've always left mine on and have never had a problem.

I love rollercoasters, though. Last summer I went to Cedar Point in Ohio here in the states. It's known as the rollercoaster capital of the country, maybe the world. It's the home of many record breaking roller coasters, although I don't think they hold any current records. One is called Millenium Force. It's a pretty standard steel coaster although it has no loops. It's just very tall and very fast for a standard non-launch coaster (300 ft first drop, 93 mph). You really can't get an appreciation for it just from the pictures.

They have a similar ride as the aforementioned Kingda Ka but it's not quite as tall or fast. I have yet to ride either, but I am going back next month.

@NightHawk: Yeah, Cedar Point in Ohio has the Top Thrill Dragster which is 420 ft and 120 mph. Kingda Ka is at Six Flags in New Jersey and is 456 ft and 128 mph. Basically the same ride, though.
I can't do trill rides very well. If I'm not in control, my stomach just turns over and I feel like vomiting for hours. Spinny things are the worst.
I think it's a UK thing, but I find rollercoasters surprisingly boring. Some of the g-forces are nice, but none are really high enough to pull the fillings out of your teeth or burst the blood vessels in your eyes.

Perhaps Europe or the States has better 'coasters? Doesn't Japan have some crazy ones?
Quote from tristancliffe :Perhaps Europe or the States has better 'coasters? Doesn't Japan have some crazy ones?

Actually it's the one in Japan that beat Millenium Force by just a few feet. No one's gone higher without using a launch system.

An interesting note about Millenium Force: the lift hill doesn't use a standard really slow chain lift. It's actually really steep at about 45 degrees and at the beginning, it goes up at about 10 or 15 mph. Then about a third of the way up it accelerates, probably to around 25 or 30 mph. It ends up being a really short ride to the top and then you're practically flung over the top of the first drop. And then the first drop goes down at 80 degrees. It's really quite an experience.

Just found one in the UK, similar to Dragster and Kingda Ka but much slower and shorter called Stealth.

http://www.rcdb.com/id3081.htm
rollercoasters..? nah...

..only if the seat next to me is taken by a girl with enormous t***

..then I would look at them bouncin around at the rollercoaster ride.

illepall
Roller coasters - no problem. But the teacups...whoa now they're too hardcore for me.
True story - when I was a bit younger I went to Pleasurewood Hills, a little theme park about half an hour from me, with my school. We were doing all the 'crazy' (still tame) rides, and being as silly as we could be. And it was water off a ducks back. But later we went on the Scary Teacups (ones that go up and down as well as round and round) and I filled my sleeve up with my recently eaten burger.

Teacups are horrible
I love the teacups and i've never understood how people can think rollercoasters are 'scary'

i rode a proper rollercoaster once and was sick for three days afterwards.
Yep, i like em. My dad used to work at lightwater valley, flamingo land, and the local fair held here every year. I used to get free goes on all the rides.

Would love a go on this. 4/5g's of acceleration in less then 5 sec to get to the top. Thats the same sort of G's army fighter planes use to get airborne.

-
(Schooner) DELETED by Schooner
Quote from L(Oo)ney :Would love a go on this. 4/5g's of acceleration in less then 5 sec to get to the top. Thats the same sort of G's army fighter planes use to get airborne.

http://www.coastergallery.com/CP/TTD03.jpg

Ive stood at the bottom of that. That's the one at Cedar Point in Ohio here in the states. The one here in New Jersey, Kingda Ka, is even bigger and faster.

Top Thrill Dragster:
http://www.rcdb.com/id1896.htm

Kingda Ka:
http://www.rcdb.com/id2832.htm

Millenium Force:
http://www.rcdb.com/id594.htm

See the tab at the top of each page for pics.
Quote from Forbin :Ive stood at the bottom of that.

Was you too scared to have a go?

The technology currently being trialed for rollercoasters is looking very promising btw. Expect much bigger, better, and faster rollercoasters in 10 years time.
Quote from tristancliffe :True story - when I was a bit younger I went to Pleasurewood Hills, a little theme park about half an hour from me, with my school. We were doing all the 'crazy' (still tame) rides, and being as silly as we could be. And it was water off a ducks back. But later we went on the Scary Teacups (ones that go up and down as well as round and round) and I filled my sleeve up with my recently eaten burger.

Teacups are horrible

rofl

Personally I believe that the worse teacups are at Alton Towers, in the UK. Freaky, scary and more vomit inducing than anything else I've ever seen. Plus what else is scarier than being in a large teacup, and being wizzed around like you're some human version of tea, or coffee?!

THE HORROR!
Quote from L(Oo)ney :Was you too scared to have a go?

Not scared, just tired. It was the end of the day by the time we got around to thinking about going on it and we were all worn out. Plus the wait was something like 2 hours.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Roller coasters - no problem. But the teacups...whoa now they're too hardcore for me.

yeah i've ridden pretty much almost all of the most hardcore rollercoaster rides on the east coast... but i've never seen more people puking than from those damn spinning teacup rides lol
Quote from Forbin :Plus the wait was something like 2 hours.

Thats why i hate going to themeparks.

You stand there for hours, usually in the rain if you're in the uk, and the rides over in less then 20 seconds.

Repeat this for every other ride and it really gets on your nerves.
Quote :RappaZ, where was that at?

At six flags great adveture. It was insane. It's a good ride. You go so fast you can't puke or breath. Though, it's a bumpy ride going 0-120 in 3 sec.

I had to wait 5 minutes to get on, it was an invite only day and a lot of ppl were wussies. Otherwise the wait can be 2-6 hours.
Quote from L(Oo)ney :Thats why i hate going to themeparks.

You stand there for hours, usually in the rain if you're in the uk, and the rides over in less then 20 seconds.

Repeat this for every other ride and it really gets on your nerves.

At least at Cedar Point, that was really only the case for the newest rides like Dragster and Millenium Force. Older ones were well under an hour. Millenium Force was worth it, though, and it's way longer than the 20 seconds that Kingda Ka lasts,
Quote from Forbin :At least at Cedar Point, that was really only the case for the newest rides like Dragster and Millenium Force. Older ones were well under an hour. Millenium Force was worth it, though, and it's way longer than the 20 seconds that Kingda Ka lasts,

That's what I don't like about these launch coasters that they're building. Sure they're big and fast, but it's just out and back. I like corners, loops, rolls, all the stuff that traditional lift coasters have, plus I really like rides that last longer than a minute. My favorite roller coaster is the Kumba at Busch Gardens in Tampa, Florida, although I've never been to Cedar Point, still need to get out there one of these days....

(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG