The online racing simulator
Please fix slidey hot tires.
(12 posts, started )
Please.
"The grip-vs-temp curve is PRE-DEFINED, not REAL-TIME CALCULATED. If our devs thought the curve's wrong, they could edit it in any way within a few minutes." - Keling

"Unfortunately new tyre physics is delayed and we see a lot of people leaving LFS servers. I bet tyre heating/cooling is the one of main factors for doing it." - yaper
There are two issues with thermodynamics in LFS. The tyres heat and cool too slowly, but friction changes with temperature too much. Most of the time, these balance out, but really fry your tyres and it's a double whammy of an issue.

This is really a separate issue to the slip modelling that the devs have worked on in the background (the new tyre physics), as I suspect it's a independent system.
Both seem, to my hardly-educated guess, trivial, against the tyre mesh and deformation code.
Thermodynamics is much simpler than detailed tyre modelling, I would certainly agree, though I suspect the tyre deformation is really the easy part. I should add I've not worked with a physically based tyre model before.
From reading Scawen's posts in the past, I think he has a decent enough detailed physical model but, rather unsurprisingly really, it was not realtime. Making a new empirical model that fits it well and runs fast is a whole new challenge.
The system ("curve") is maybe changed in minutes but the whole theory behind it, for years, is to do a massive tyre physics update. It makes no sense to only change the heating/cooling of the tires. Especially not after eight years of development. Everybody would laugh.
OP, if you are talking about drifting, try using a more normal pressure.Good for grip while drifting is 210 front (or less) and around 230 rear.Also use clutch pack LSD and if you dont want to go wide on all corners because of the tyres going really hot, dont use negative front camber, just normal.Lower steering dgr will also help with grip.
Thanks taipalsaari, I already do.

ProTweaker seems to accelerate cooling linearly. NewTweakOrder seems to affect it nonlinearly,so in the right conditions, rear tires can stay around 60-80 while drifting until they wear out.

Tire stagger ruins the XRGs handling, and, to a lesser extent, the XRTs. If I put them on square tires with NTO they're much sweeter to drive and drift.

Quote from cargame.nl :It makes no sense to only change the heating/cooling of the tires. Especially not after eight years of development. Everybody would laugh.

Why would anyone laugh? They're either desperate to see something change or already gone.
It makes no sense to only change the heating/cooling of the tires. Especially not after eight years of development.
It didn't make sense to release the game with the heat this way in the first place. I'm not seeing your point.
I appreciate the current heat system as requiring smooth driving and balanced tunes, though I think it would be fairer to have a more realistic heat mechanic and a per-race tire wear multiplier option.

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG