The online racing simulator
Current AGP speed 0X ?
(5 posts, started )
Current AGP speed 0X ? (Solved)
Just got a 9600xt card, uninstalled old Nvidia stuff, used driver cleaner, installed new drivers in safe mode, everything seems to be working fine

My motherboard supports AGP4X, card AGP4/8X
Looking at ATI control centre it says the current AGP speed is 0X (zero)
But every time I move the slider up to increase speed , it ask me to reboot, then its back at AGP0X
Checked setup utility (bios?) and the only mention of AGP was the aperture size which was at 56mb (changed it to 256mb with no change)
Contacted Compaq live support who said “ the settings for this slot is prefixed and the system will recognize the card installed on the system accordingly. AGP is auto enabled. The system supports up to 4X AGP. Hence, the system will run with the speed”

Ran Everest system info and it said "Problem AGP is disabled. This may cause performance penalty."
Under AGP controller /status -disabled.
Supported AGP speeds 1X ,2X ,4X

Am I running at AGP0X ? if so can I change to AGP4X
Is the ATI control centre /Everest right. (or am I interpreting the results wrongly)
Check/update your motherboard chipset drivers.
Quote from Turbo Dad :Just got a 9600xt card, uninstalled old Nvidia stuff, used driver cleaner, installed new drivers in safe mode, everything seems to be working fine

Try the same but dont install the drivers in safe mode.Just install them after you will normally login.It should work.
Quote from Forbin :Check/update your motherboard chipset drivers.

Had no idea i could do this ,thought bios was the only thing i could update.
Found the drivers eventually and it worked a treat.
thanks for your help
You need to reinstall the motherboard chipsets and make sure you get the SmartGart driver, this is what will control the AGP acceleration for ATi cards.... when switching from nVidia to ATi I would recommend a format and reinstall of windows as several games will not like this and possibly refuse to boot, crashing to dekstop when they run... Live For Speed not being one of them because it is so well coded!

Current AGP speed 0X ?
(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG