The online racing simulator
How to play MULTIPLAYER
(21 posts, started )
How to play MULTIPLAYER
Hi, we want to play multiplayer game but were here for almost 1 hour and it is not as easy as it looks.

What I do is CREATE NEW SERVER

then I go to S3 - LOCAL

I put a server name: XXXX
then password: xxxx
ip address auto
port 63392

then GO

my brother from another computer goes to connect to a server
RED LOCA
server IP: I give him my ip address xxx.xxx.x.xx
port 63392
password xxxx

but it is not possible to connect, it says not valid ip

we tried something similar using INTERNET (instead of LOCAL)

Please help!! thanks. Before buying this game some buddies on the forum said Multiplayer game is easy but we can´t do it.
Local network as the name suggests, it is only for connections on the same LAN (Local Area Network).
Quote from LFS Manual :Ranges used for LAN games (aka. IETF private IP ranges): (By Scawen) These are the ranges :
10.x.x.x 192.168.x.x 172.16-31.x.x

You can always try to connect to some empty public server

To play over the internet you must set Visibility: to Internet, then forward ports in your router
More info:
https://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Hosting
https://www.lfs.net/forum/74-LFS-Hosts-Forum
Quote from Draggo :Local network as the name suggests, it is only for connections on the same LAN (Local Area Network).

You can always try to connect to some empty public server

To play over the internet you must set Visibility: to Internet, then forward ports in your router
More info:
https://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Hosting
https://www.lfs.net/forum/74-LFS-Hosts-Forum

Hi, thanks for your reply, I'm not interested in playing in multiplayer on the internet servers because I'm amateur and I'll lose. I just want to play with my brother/cousin and have some fun. Can anyone explain me in 2 or 3 singes steps how to create a New Host on my computer (in order I can play too) so my brother and cousin can join it and play online? just straight away, is it possible?

ie. We used to play Unreal Tournament, and it was really easy, I only had to start New Multiplayer Game (menu), and the rest could join it by just going to Open Location (menu) and type my ip address (I know my ip by going to "what's my ip") and they could join the game and have some fun easily, but I see LFS is quite complicated. Also don't know whether have to create Local or Internet host? also when I put my ip address it says "ip not valid", it doesn't even take 1 second to check nothing, it is like for some reason it is not the way to do it. Can anyone help?
When you're about to connect to a local host, you can't use the IP you get from http://www.whatsmyip.org/. For that one you have to open CMD (Command Prompt) and check your 'ip config'. And if your brother is connecting to your server, he's got to use that same ip from CMD aswell.
Quote from kristofferandersen :When you're about to connect to a local host, you can't use the IP you get from http://www.whatsmyip.org/. For that one you have to open CMD (Command Prompt) and check your 'ip config'. And if your brother is connecting to your server, he's got to use that same ip from CMD aswell.

Hi, we are on the same city with my brother/cousin but not on the same house, so don't really sure if I had to create as Local Host?

I tried today and Created an new server. LOCAL, ip address as you told me: 192.168.1.3, I've put a password too.

But it was not possible to get connected, the closer we got is that is says: CLIENTCONNECT: FAILED

I've made a test myself by opening two LFS windows and in one I created a server (LOCAL etc) and from the other I could enter without problem to the multiplayer game I created, I could see myself in the other LFS window, but when my cousin enters my ip 192.168.1.3 it says CONNECTION FAILED, we tried in the opposite way (he created a server) but we had the same issue.

We deactivated Firewall, and I opened LFS port in my router, but nothing happened.

A minute ago I found a Youtube video about creating an LFS Dedicated server in your own computer, so I downloaded it from the additional downloads and created it, it is a DOS windows like, the Dedicated server ip is 127.0.0.1
I opened LFS and could enter to the server I created, we haven't try it with my cousin yet due he had to go, but should he get connected now?

Is this how it should work now? (using a dedicated server)
No, local as someone pointed out is only if you're on the same LAN (e.g. using the same wi-fi connection).
What port did you open for? 63392? That would be default.
When your friends are connecting, they have to enter a specific host: Enter the name of your server and try to connect to that.

I think that could be one way to test it without your friends, just connect via that specific host thingy: and enter the hostname.

Doublecheck that the portforwarding has been done correctly, they should be open for both UDP and TCP for portnumber 63392 towards your ip.
Local is not ment as local - same city. It's just local network of computers sharing same connection to internet,all connected to same modem/router/switch/whatever.
I already wrote very quick guide how to host a server for you and few friends,an addition to it - select "internet" instead of local:
Quote from Eclipsed :About hosting server - it's really easy,you just need to select multiplayer in start menu and then "start new host". Create a name and if you want it private - add password and share it with your friends. For 4 racers you don't need a fast internet,just need to be stable. If you have a router,you need to forward ports,more info in LFS Manual hosting page.

That's the way how to do it,setting password will keep the others away,that way you can control who can join,since you want to race just with your pals.
Quote from kristofferandersen :What port did you open for? 63392? That would be default.
When your friends are connecting, they have to enter a specific host: Enter the name of your server and try to connect to that.

I think that could be one way to test it without your friends, just connect via that specific host thingy: and enter the hostname.

Doublecheck that the portforwarding has been done correctly, they should be open for both UDP and TCP for portnumber 63392 towards your ip.

Hi, this is how I opened the router:

LFS 63392 (port initial) 63392 (port final) TCP/UDP 63392 (port int initial) 63392 (port int final) IP 192.168.1.2

I'll try in INTERNET mode but I think we already tried it, (because we tried lot of movements, desperate for playing! Wink but I'll try again having more certain info now.
Quote from Eclipsed :Local is not ment as local - same city. It's just local network of computers sharing same connection to internet,all connected to same modem/router/switch/whatever.
I already wrote very quick guide how to host a server for you and few friends,an addition to it - select "internet" instead of local:

That's the way how to do it,setting password will keep the others away,that way you can control who can join,since you want to race just with your pals.

Hi, we did all that and it is not working, it is really making me mad.

I created New Server
INTERNET
server name SALSON
password here password
admin pass blank
ip address 192.168.1.3 (displayed by ipconfig)
port 63392

then click on GO

then on my brother´s computer

He goes to Join
INTERNET
server name SALSON
pass here password

and nothing happen, CANT CONNECT.

So is it ok to put the IPv4 (192.168.1.3) on INTERNET? isn´t it for the LOCAL multiplayer game only?
Anyway if I try to put my internet ip it doesn´t allow me, it says TCP Socket: bind filed.

Then I tried with the Dedicated app, by default is 127.0.0.1, on setup I changed to 192.168.1.3
I run the Dedicate Server app
then on LFS game go to Join
INTERNET
SALSON
password
GO
then CONNECTION TIME EXPIRED.

The strange thing is that on the DS app it says "Guest wants to join".

The only way I can join myself is of course using the same computer and on LFS multiplayer
Join
LOCAL
pass here
GO

and in this way I can see myself login on the Dedicated Server but my brother can´t, we tried with INTERNET but when he tries to connect I can see "guest wants to join".

And in anyway he can´t see the Server I created on the Server Lists.

What´s happening????

The idea is to play straight away using the "Create Server" section from the game, not the Dedicated Server app.

I can join on any server on the server list with strange users, there is no problem with that so there is not a internet or port issues.
In your .cfg file, set /ip=auto instead of /ip=192.168.1.3 . The master server takes care of connecting your friend to your IP, and your router takes care of connecting him to your local network address.

Make sure you've changed 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.3 in the router, too, if you're on that address now.
Quote from Racon :In your .cfg file, set /ip=auto instead of /ip=192.168.1.3 . The master server takes care of connecting your friend to your IP, and your router takes care of connecting him to your local network address.

Make sure you've changed 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.3 in the router, too, if you're on that address now.

Hi, I'll try. So you are talking about changing to "auto" on the Dedicated server "setup"? so is this the only way it should work? by using Dedicated Server?
not by just using the Multiplayer option that is on the game?

I'll also try with "auto" in the game too and see what happens.

re.router IP, yes, thanks for that, it was changed to .3 already but didn't work, also my brother created HOST and I tired to join but it was not possible, so something wrong is happening for some reason. We both opened the port and deactivated Firewall.

Also I don't know why I don't see my server on the Server List.
I've had the same "bind failed" problem for 10 years. I've had at least 3 different routers since, all with their LFS ports open but never found a way to host a game. Not too long ago I heard some ISP are not allowing ports to be open because they share your IP address with other clients as well (at least that's what I've been told) so they ask you to pay another extra for a static IP which this time, allows you to open ports.
You might wanna check on some places like here: http://www.portcheckers.com/ to make sure your ports are open. If you open them from the router and it keeps saying they aren't open, this might be your problem as well.

Strange enough, even with the bind failed issue, your server might be listed on the LFSworld page but not from the in-game server list (like me).
If you ever succeed into making your game and you just want to play with your friend, be sure to set the Visibility to Hidden instead of Internet. Your friend should be able to find you by your nickname as well (I believe although I'm not sure).

Hope this helps and have fun.
Quote from Skytrill :I've had the same "bind failed" problem for 10 years. I've had at least 3 different routers since, all with their LFS ports open but never found a way to host a game. Not too long ago I heard some ISP are not allowing ports to be open because they share your IP address with other clients as well (at least that's what I've been told) so they ask you to pay another extra for a static IP which this time, allows you to open ports.
You might wanna check on some places like here: http://www.portcheckers.com/ to make sure your ports are open. If you open them from the router and it keeps saying they aren't open, this might be your problem as well.

Strange enough, even with the bind failed issue, your server might be listed on the LFSworld page but not from the in-game server list (like me).
If you ever succeed into making your game and you just want to play with your friend, be sure to set the Visibility to Hidden instead of Internet. Your friend should be able to find you by your nickname as well (I believe although I'm not sure).

Hope this helps and have fun.

Thanks, I've some questions:

yes! the ports are open, I even downloaded a more complete app from here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvY2cJZHYhw

And when I select either TCP or UPD it says PORT OPEN, it only happens when I create a Multiplayer game, otherwise it says PORT NOT AVAILABLE, is it the way it should work?

And I discovered if I am using the TCP test on this app, when I create a Host in LFS using my ip address it says UDP Socket: BIND FAILED, and if I switch the test on the app as UDP then the LFS error is TCP Socket: BIND FAILED, so I learned that for some reason either TCP and UDP are being used for some reason? I´ve Hamachi instaled to comunicate each other, could this be the reason? I haven´t tried IP "auto" yet, but I don´t know what else to do, we purchased this game 2 weeks ago and we still couldn´t play!!! I´m quite dissapointed.

And I'm now more confused than ever, so in order to play multiplayer game I should enter my ip address (not the one taken from the CMD - ipconfig?) so the issue now is that that BIND FAILED message should not appear in order I could play multiplayer game with my friends? also changing to HIDDEN instead of INTERNET?
I'm positive that you can safely uninstall Hamachi, once you get the ports up and going. You won't need that. That could be causing the trouble, I'm not too familiar with it.

If said this to a few people before, if you're just looking for fun gameplay. I can open a server for you.

Quote from PlSTOL :
And I'm now more confused than ever, so in order to play multiplayer game I should enter my ip address (not the one taken from the CMD - ipconfig?) so the issue now is that that BIND FAILED message should not appear in order I could play multiplayer game with my friends? also changing to HIDDEN instead of INTERNET?

When you or anyone for that matter, is connecting to a public server: You can either find it in the public server list of LFS (view list of servers) or you can connect typing in the specific name of the server. Just forget everything about connecting through IP. If you really wanna connecting through LAN (as you're hosting), you can connect via Local connection, and use that 192.168.X.X address you had earlier.

If you're still having plenty of trouble after this, then I can open one for you Smile
Quote from kristofferandersen :I'm positive that you can safely uninstall Hamachi, once you get the ports up and going. You won't need that. That could be causing the trouble, I'm not too familiar with it.

If said this to a few people before, if you're just looking for fun gameplay. I can open a server for you.

When you or anyone for that matter, is connecting to a public server: You can either find it in the public server list of LFS (view list of servers) or you can connect typing in the specific name of the server. Just forget everything about connecting through IP. If you really wanna connecting through LAN (as you're hosting), you can connect via Local connection, and use that 192.168.X.X address you had earlier.

If you're still having plenty of trouble after this, then I can open one for you Smile

thanks, is there any way we can communicate or chat? so I can create a server and see if you see me or vice-versa? the confusion is that I CAN see people on the LFS server list and can even join them but I can't see myself on that list when I create a Server, why? it is so frustrating.

I really appreciate your help by offering to open a server but it will be only a temporary help, the idea is that I can get this sorted out some how.

Can we chat using Facebook or whatever to do some test? I'm in Argentina.
Quote from PlSTOL :
so in order to play multiplayer game I should enter my ip address (not the one taken from the CMD - ipconfig?) so the issue now is that that BIND FAILED message should not appear in order I could play multiplayer game with my friends? also changing to HIDDEN instead of INTERNET?

Well you don't even need to enter your ip address when making a server, just set it to Auto and LFS will get it for you to ease things up. The Hidden button is to set the server so only your friends can join with you which means your server won't show on the Multiplayer listing. It's useful if you just wanna play with real friends that can join you by your IP or your nickname. Smile

The good news is that your ports seems open by your ISP so I guess you'll have it at some point. Be sure you don't have any firewall blocking them as it might be the cause of your current issue. Hope you solve it.
Quote from Racon :In your .cfg file, set /ip=auto instead of /ip=192.168.1.3 . The master server takes care of connecting your friend to your IP, and your router takes care of connecting him to your local network address.

We finally could get it worked!!!!

MULTIPLAYER
CREATE NEW SERVER
SERVER NAME
PASSWORD
blank for admin
auto
PORT 63392

In the other side
ENTER CONCRETE SERVER
INTERNET
NAME OF SERVER
PASSWORD
GO

The key is typing "auto" instead of the ip address. You were right!

THANK YOU! Omg omg omg
oh wow so simple
As you and your friends speak the same language and live in the same city. You can either talk on facebook, facetime, skype, steam group chat, discord, teamspeak, mumble. There are too many choices, but I personally prefer Discord. Its free to host Smile
hmmm

How to play MULTIPLAYER
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG