The online racing simulator
Which VR - HTC Vive or Oculus?
(75 posts, started )
Quote from och :Tried the Rift with Quake, and felt sick after literally 10 seconds. I guess VR is just not for me. Frown

Not necessarily.

I can play AC all day long - no problems after a small initial acclimatization. No problems with any of the content designed for VR - except maybe Eve: Valkyrie if I do the barrel roll thing. But I tried Skyrim using VorpX and even though it works well and looks cool, I found the same as you - under a minute and I felt terrible. Tried a few times, and doesn't seem that I'll be able to do it.

May have to do with VorpX / framerates / FOV. I used to think if I could just get games to render in VR it'd be no problem, I guess there is a lot more to making it comfortable than I gave it credit for.
Copying from :

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-natural-gyroscope-in-the-Human-Body-to-balance-itself

"Vertigo is what happens when there is dissonance between your balance senses. There is more to balance than just those loops. Your body also knows where it is in relation to other parts of itself, which is how when you are sober you can touch your nose, but when you are stumbling around after a few too many drinks, you end up poking yourself in the eye. Also, your sight helps with balance. There is a large portion of your brain devoted to processing what you see, and one of its outputs helps with balance. If one or more of these senses are not reporting complimentary information, your brain gets confused and simply gives you a dizzy sensation."

I am doomed :-( on VR as even the smallest dissonance between sight and labyrinth makes me sick...
Just tried LFS in VR.
Instant Motion sickness. Can't even drive 1 lap.
A simple option would solved this instantly.
Lock To horizon option ( like Assetto Corsa )
Having the camera transform in the world coordinate instead of car coordinate will solve this problem.
Here a little article I wrote explaining where motion sickness come from in Sim racing, It's not only in VR. It's happens when the view is fully immersed in the game, so happens also with big screens.
https://sites.google.com/site/mididrumcoverpartner/rfactor2-realheadmotion-plugin
Locking camera to horizon is something I would like to try at some point, for people who have the motion sickness issue. But it is a very 'wrong' solution in a sense. It's the sort of thing which creates strongly opposing views. Locking the camera to the cockpit (as in LFS and, I'm sure, absolutely required for a flight simulator if you were doing loops and rolls) means your steering wheel and seat can be in the same place where you see it in VR. Locking to horizon means that your in-game steering wheel and seat will seem to move around while your desktop steering wheel and seat stays in the same place.
It's still a better solution that having the head fixed to the cockpit in rotation like it was a goPro camera Wink

Eyes are not fixed, they move a lot by themselves from the inner ear.
Did you read my article ?

Because we don't move in our seats, we don't have this filtering from the inner ear.

Actually I tested back in a while in my own car, the steering wheel and the whole cockpit is actually moving around the point we focus when we drive ( tested on a race track at Lurcy Levy ) depending of the bump and pitch roll of the car .

A better solution, and still not perfect, is to filter roll and pitch motion.

The ONLY perfect solution is to have a motion rig.

The solution I applied in Real Head Motion for Assetto Corsa is praised by lot of VR and triple screen users.

It's a very simple pitch / roll filter, I can send you the main algorithm if you want to try it in LFS Wink

I'm a bit disappointed as I so wanted to try the RallyCross with VR and my DD drive.
Well, as I said, it's a topic that creates strong feelings. Those who promote the "fixed to horizon" method can't seem to understand the way it is "wrong". I just want to give one example, you drive along a road and beside you is a 45 degree grass slope. You then drive your car along so that the car goes sideways up that slope (the left wheels are on the slope while your right wheels are on the road). Now stop your car. In the real world (in your office) you are sitting there and the wheel is in front of you. But the wheel in VR has moved around 45 degrees to the left. And your hands in the game are no longer in the same place where your real hands are. To many of us this would be a serious problem. We don't have the motion sickness problem and just want to be in the cockpit, the same way as you would be in a flight simulator. When a plane does a roll, you see the ground 'up' above and the sky 'down' below. This is the same method many (I believe most) people want it in a car simulator. But I do understand that other people are more susceptible to motion sickness so they want the view fixed to horizon even if it means they just have to live with the steering wheel in game moving around while the real one stays in the same place. What will never happen is that either of these groups of people will believe the other method is better. But what they can do is understand the reasons for different people wanting a different method.
I totally agree with you about the slope when stopped Wink
That's why lot of people praised my Real Head Motion for A.C over the locked to horizon method Wink
Still, you need to filters , smooth the pitch and roll rotation, otherwise you get motion sickness, dizziness.

Actually a very good solution is to have a lock to "what the player focus" horizon, but we don't have this tech in everyday VR.

So the best assumption is to lock to the track horizon with a filtering.

Let me be clear, having the camera lock to the car is also wrong, depend if you want to simulate the driver's eyes or a fixed go pro attached to the car , because the eye ball are always rotating to nullify all the motion the drive is feeling.

When I drive a car or my bike , even leaning with the bike, I dont see the world shaking and leaning.

Just trying to help improve it, not trying to say it's shit Wink
Motion Sikness go away with a little bit of VR Training. (for me)

First Night (after Hours and Hours) i was dreaming of VR inclusive the Sickness ;D

But after some days, I was able to drive 20 Lap races. Even with a simple cheap Smartphone VR. Dont give up after your first Sickness. But i turn the Accelation viewpoints to zero.....
(i hate that shaking even on Monitors)
No thanks.
I can play iRacing, A.C. for hours, but LFS got dizziness and sickness in less than a lap.
I don't have time to train my old 44 yo brain lol
Quote from MagicFr :No thanks.
I can play iRacing, A.C. for hours, but LFS got dizziness and sickness in less than a lap.
I don't have time to train my old 44 yo brain lol

turn Accelation Viwpoint to zero ;-)
Those settings are disabled in VR.
Quote from MagicFr :Those settings are disabled in VR.

Aha, Okay!

I use a simple Smartphone (with Trinus, Moonlight and TrackIr) i can adjust this setting.

I have exact the same problem like you until i disable this movements.

mhmm... maybe Scawen can find a solution Uhmm
I mean i use a fcking Phone and its very Stable for this.
I do want to try this option at some point.

Quote from Xenix74 :Aha, Okay!

I use a simple Smartphone (with Trinus, Moonlight and TrackIr) i can adjust this setting.

I have exact the same problem like you until i disable this movements.

With your phone VR setup, when you enter 3D mode in LFS, which option do you select for Display Type?
Quote from Scawen :I do want to try this option at some point.

With your phone VR setup, when you enter 3D mode in LFS, which option do you select for Display Type?

Hi Scawen, this is my Setup (pics)

I use the Trinus Software & Moonlight over USB (both Playstore)
Moonlight works only with Nvidia Cards.

My Phone is a Simple Honor x6 and i use a TrackIR3 for the headmovment. (one on one profile)
And i use a Bobo Z4 Glasses with 110Fov (for less then 35 Euro.)

I have a DK1 here but my PhoneSetup is much Sharper and i believe a little bit faster (delay arround 7-9 ms)

When i turn Accelation viewpoint to zero the Motion sickness is totaly away for me....

(sorry for my bad English)
Attached images
Screenshot_20180716-214842.png
Screenshot_20180716-214915.png
-
(Xenix74) DELETED by Xenix74
Quote from och :I got the Oculus last night, and tried it with Project Cars. After about 1/3 of the Nordschleife lap I got so motion sick that my brain was melting. I will try it with LFS right now and if it's the same, the Oculus goes back.

I was the same at first but it stopped after a short while. I love LFS with the rift and it revived my love for LFS, really good immersion and love with how effortless it is to use menu's ect in-game.
I bought a cheaper WMR headset for $100 and it’s been working great. Haven’t tried on LFS though.
I've found my Rift to be quite nice. There is some screen door effect, but when you actually start driving you stop noticing it.

It's rekindled my love for sim racing.
Quote from Bmxtwins :I bought a cheaper WMR headset for $100 and it’s been working great. Haven’t tried on LFS though.

I was really impressed with the HP WMR headset when I tried it with LFS. The VR experience was comparable to the Rift or Vive in LFS so people on a budget should not overlook the WMR range.

For the record, I still think the Rift offers the best VR experience in LFS.
it will take a little time for your brain to "reprogram" itself. My 70 year old dad was the same using his for a short while but soon got used to it
Quote from bishtop :it will take a little time for your brain to "reprogram" itself. My 70 year old dad was the same using his for a short while but soon got used to it

I'd be interesting to know if age was actually a factor. It took me some time to get used to VR. The process of feeling comfortable enough in VR to race in LFS took quite a while too.
Just a maybe here, because i've never tried VR, but is it a possible reason that when Live for Speed is not running smooth enough (at 50Hz/50fps / 100Hz/100fps with vsync is smoothest), lets say if it is running at 60Hz with no vsync and that is causing the motion sickness, dizziness?
Quote from MagicFr :Just tried LFS in VR.
Instant Motion sickness. Can't even drive 1 lap.
A simple option would solved this instantly.
Lock To horizon option ( like Assetto Corsa )
Having the camera transform in the world coordinate instead of car coordinate will solve this problem.
Here a little article I wrote explaining where motion sickness come from in Sim racing, It's not only in VR. It's happens when the view is fully immersed in the game, so happens also with big screens.
https://sites.google.com/site/mididrumcoverpartner/rfactor2-realheadmotion-plugin

Off-topic. Hey Magic you may want to correct a typo on your website. Engineer not enginior or maybe if you to make some joke like in "la folie des grandeurs"- "il est l'or monseignor"
Great, can't wait to test it this Week End.
Rally Cross with DD and VR Smile
Quote from loopingz :Off-topic. Hey Magic you may want to correct a typo on your website. Engineer not enginior or maybe if you to make some joke like in "la folie des grandeurs"- "il est l'or monseignor"

Ahah, yep, my English was good back then Smile
But it seems I can't edit it anymore, it's the old google site system.

Which VR - HTC Vive or Oculus?
(75 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG