The online racing simulator
Single Player - AI cars - what a joke! So sad!
I recently bought LFS (S2) as I was excited about the possibility of racing around the oval track in open wheel cars. I paid a lot as I was confident that the game would be worth it.

To my dismay - I've discovered that the AI cars are quite possible the worst in the history of computer gaming. I setup a race, put a decent field of cars and drive around sensibly, giving plenty of room to the AI cars where needed.

Yet *no matter what I do* - I cannot drive for more than 2 laps before an AI car either slams into the back of me, or slides into the side of me pushing me up into the wall. I'm yet to finish a race without being hit.

This part of the game is completely unplayable. I really really want to love LFS - but this is driving me nuts! Is there any way to fix this? Otherwise a huge part of the game for me just became unplayable.
#2 - nacim
Quote from ozzeruk82 :Is there any way to fix this?

Play online. The game is focused on multiplayer, IAs are worthless, don't bother. Wink
Did you setup AI at PRO level and configured them to use your setup?

It will make them a bit harder to beat, but AI can be improved as well.
Quote from nacim :Play online. The game is focused on multiplayer, IAs are worthless, don't bother. Wink

But I want to be able to play my only little race, without worrying about whether I'll hit other people by accident and ruin their afternoon.
Quote from Skinzinho :Did you setup AI at PRO level and configured them to use your setup?

It will make them a bit harder to beat, but AI can be improved as well.

It's not really that they're easy or hard to beat - it's that they cannot stop hitting me. Even if I'm on the racing line they carelessly crash into the back of me.

I bought LFS for the single player, now I feel like I should probably ask for a refund. The single player mode exists but is completely unplayable in its current form.
On normal tracks (not X or Y configurations), the AI cars follow the programmed racing line. To see this line, press 4. This is a toggle (on/off). Colours generally mean Green for accelerate, yellow for lift and coast, and red for brake.

If you can see this line, then you know AI cars are going to follow it, so you can try driving slightly off this line to help with AI cars crashing into you.

Of course, the AI racing line can sometimes be the racing line you want to follow (especially on tracks with more corners), and it can be tricky both leading or following AI cars round when you both want to drive on the same line.

You can also go into Options/Misc and play with Update Path/AI using player setup/etc, to see if that helps/hinders.

Or, as nacim says, try online, and race against all sorts of level of players, usually all on the same server, from the drivers who forget to put pit limiter off, the truly awful, the so-so, all the way up to the 'aliens'.
You can also use the AI as a challenge. It's good fun.

Focus on one track, one car, certain AI level and learn how the AI behaves. Adapt to their pace and use the mirrors frequently to avoid collisions/surprises. The AI is not as dumb as one would think at first glance. Often, it is your own irratic driving that breaks the pace and causes conflicts. The AI helps you to drive consistently.

Start at the end of the grid, say 6-8 cars, 5 laps race, and drive until you win the race without collisions. By then you have developed a good situation awareness (using mirrors), something that will be your friend in MP-races.

Good luck, hope you give it another go before you dismiss this beautiful game.
I guess you are off AI pace, so you are interrupting their lines. This happened to me at first, but now I learned and could keep up their pace, so I rarely have problems with them... in fact, it's me now who ram them in the back or the side. Wink
Just like jaimevives says, the cause of collision is usually (partly) your own fault because you are not driving in a proper racing line (speed/braking). I have since long ago no problem at all racing against AI, it is very enjoyable if you treat them well. Smile
I race in single player as well most of the time and I agree with OP that the AI needs some serious improvement but not essentially huge ones. The most annoying issue with the AI is that they don't notice your car until you're about 1 meters in front of them. If you're not, they'll just keep their usual line and on an oval track with the usual speed, you'll end up wasted in no time Big grin

I have less issues with them these days, just like Ingolf and Jaimevives but it's mostly due to the fact that I adjusted to their "horse with blinder" behavior on track, at least for me.

For a newcomer, LFS seems to give a much better impression online than offline because of this. I would suggest racing in TBO or STD class on non-oval tracks with the AI for help yourself familiarize with it. Car contacts are less painful in these combos.
Quote from Ingolf :You can also use the AI as a challenge. It's good fun.

Focus on one track, one car, certain AI level and learn how the AI behaves. Adapt to their pace and use the mirrors frequently to avoid collisions/surprises. The AI is not as dumb as one would think at first glance. Often, it is your own irratic driving that breaks the pace and causes conflicts. The AI helps you to drive consistently.

Start at the end of the grid, say 6-8 cars, 5 laps race, and drive until you win the race without collisions. By then you have developed a good situation awareness (using mirrors), something that will be your friend in MP-races.

Good luck, hope you give it another go before you dismiss this beautiful game.

I agree completely with this quote. Learn how the AI behaves and you'll learn how to race cleanly with it.
Soon enough you'll be able to beat it pretty easily. At this point, give yourself handicaps (add weight/fuel, and intake restrictions), and put yourself as the back of the grid.

I have fun and challenging races with the AI all the time. Much different to racing humans but it can be great fun nonetheless.
The AI is pretty dim. My favourite is giving them a mixed field of cars and watch the carnage as they all smash into each other.

Still, it's a pretty good way to prepare for Castle Combe Action Day, where all the McDonalds crew decide to exercise their complete lack of driving skills on a race track, and make themselves easy targets to pass Tongue
AI does not look bad in this video.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Single Player - AI cars - what a joke! So sad!
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG