The online racing simulator
What is consider modding LFS?
(18 posts, started )
Hi.
Read whole post if you wanna reply.
(If you will be disrespectful or salty just skip this post,thanks!)
Always been wondering what is consider modding LFS?
Reading FORUM RULES they say:
Quote :
Any "mods" - modifications to the Live for Speed.exe...
Any mods which change the shape of a car model...

So,modding textures count in there (Road textures,windows stickers etc) ?
I see why vob (car mods) are forbidden online,because they change hitbox?
Some of mods I've seen doesnt change chassis and only add stuff like rollcage and improved textures.
(Or that only apply to forum?)
#2 - BeNoM
You can mod anything apart from .VOB files and LFS.exe

"So,modding textures count in there (Road textures,windows stickers etc)"

Windows stickers are part of VOB mods as the original VOBs don't have textureable windows.

"I see why vob (car mods) are forbidden online,because they change hitbox?"

VOB mods effecting hitbox hasn't been proven yet, wait until Scawen or one of the devs confirms that.
Modding textures (dds files) is client side only - it does not have any effect at all to anyone else.
Modding cars create online incompatibilities. Even if some do not alter any physical values,still there are incompatibilities like messed up skins,physical/visual model differences - if the replacing car is longer,cars will look like merged when having bumper to bumper contact,or will have empty space between if shorter. Also it shows wrong image to public of LFS - most of newcomers already think this is one of those modding simulators and first question is "how to mod cars?"...
And if just adding rollcage - why bother? It won't make your car stronger to impacts,neither it will be faster or make you better figure skater. Shrug
#4 - BeNoM
Quote from Eclipsed :And if just adding rollcage - why bother? It won't make your car stronger to impacts,neither it will be faster or make you better figure skater. Shrug

Because people like the look, which is the entire point of VBO modding. It's like saying "why install graphics/texture mods, it wont make you car faster"... Ya right
Quote from Eclipsed :.
And if just adding rollcage - why bother?

Its only cosmetic,stuff like racing steering wheel and interior pieces changed to look like modded car (race,drift etc) looks way better than default. (If you ask me tho)
That would change to .vob, making it illegal Wink

EDIT: Unless you mean editing the textures!
-
(neonmateo) DELETED by neonmateo : Woops
#7 - BeNoM
VOB files contain something to do with the windows because VOB mods are the only way to change Window textures.
Quote from neonmateo :Windows texture are X_GTW_ALP and X_GTWALPHA.

I don't have such files in my LFS dds folder. Must be your modded LFS speciality. Razz
#9 - BeNoM
I have stock LFS and I have these files.
Quote from BeNoM :VOB mods effecting hitbox hasn't been proven yet, wait until Scawen or one of the devs confirms that.

It's not that vob mods affect the hitbox, it's that the hitbox model itself can be modded to delberately cause problems for other drivers.

Most modders just want cool-looking cars, but there are a few individuals out there that would use it for malicious purposes, and therefore a blanket ban is the best approach until it can be properly controlled.
I have latest version fresh install and these are the only x-files (files starting with x) in my dds folder...
Attached images
x-files.png
Quote from Shirtkicker :It's not that vob mods affect the hitbox, it's that the hitbox model itself can be modded to delberately cause problems for other drivers.

Most modders just want cool-looking cars, but there are a few individuals out there that would use it for malicious purposes, and therefore a blanket ban is the best approach until it can be properly controlled.

Ah ok, makes sense. The hitbox model is in the VOB?

Quote from Eclipsed :I have latest version fresh install and these are the only x-files (files starting with x) in my dds folder...

I have;

LFS 0.6Q

LFS 0.6Q1-10 (all the public test versions, I don't remember the numbers)

LFS 0.6R Manual Patch from LFS 0.6M

Maybe the files are there from the test versions? (I do have a few texture mods, but no VOB mods)
Quote from Eclipsed :I don't have such files in my LFS dds folder. Must be your modded LFS speciality. Razz

Woops,I guess younger me tried to mod but fail Rofl
Quote from BeNoM :Ah ok, makes sense. The hitbox model is in the VOB?

I believe so, yes.
Ahh I found the culprit for these two DDS files, they are from a VOB mod.

I didn't get them from a VOB mod funnily enough, I got them from an AIO texture pack that had these two files in it.

inb4 someone tries to say I'm making up lies, here's the texture pack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvgxFhWgmUk
When it comes to modding VOBs, LOD2 is responsible for collision model. Only if you make changes to LOD2 model it will affect car's collision. Any change of shape of main model (LOD0) won't do any change in terms of collisions.
At least that's how unofficial and illegal modding tools work.

Texturable windows need change in VOB to make new mesh for this texture - original windows use simple transparent texture that's stretched to all windows.
Quote from R@fiXII :
Texturable windows need change in VOB

So,that makes textured windows not allowed?
Well considering VOB mods aren't allowed, yes.

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG