The online racing simulator
Can my Laptop manage LFS with Occulus rift?
I have a Laptop with 970m Sli Graphics card set up.

That should be powerful enough in real terms, but I don't think many games, or the Occulus unit itself supports Sli set ups very well.

However, I get such massive framerates playing LFS on my 1080p monitors, I thought maybe I would be ok with an Occulus.

Can anyone advise?
Or does anyone know of the LFS programmers offer Sli support for Lfs with Occulus?
SLI is not supported AFAIK but LFS doesn't need really high end graphics card to run at high frame rates. The Rift CV1 render target size is 2830x1566 pixels, you could set LFS to use high DSR(Digital Super Resolution) settings to run on resolution resembling what the Rift uses (or a little higher to account for the overhead that the Rift distortion adds). Check if your laptop can run LFS at least at 90 FPS in that high resolution mode.
Oculus ‘Rift Compatibility Check’ Tool Tells You if Your PC is “Ready For Rift”
Quote from RC-Maus :Oculus ‘Rift Compatibility Check’ Tool Tells You if Your PC is “Ready For Rift”

The Rift Compatibility Check is a bad joke, it doesn't really check anything, just compares your computer's hardware components to a quite short pre-defined list. If your hardware is fast and capable but not on the list it will say that your computer is not VR ready. My computer doesn't have a 3.3 GHz Intel i5 CPU, just a 3.2 GHz i5 and it fails the compatibility check but runs every VR game without problems.
The SteamVR check is far better in this regard as it runs a demo and measures the performance and gives a score based on that.

Maybe Scawen could implement a simple VR Test mode where LFS would switch to the CV1 resolution and measure performance in a similar way that SteamVR does.
Quote from AnnieC :The Rift Compatibility Check is a bad joke, it doesn't really check anything, just compares your computer's hardware components to a quite short pre-defined list. If your hardware is fast and capable but not on the list it will say that your computer is not VR ready. My computer doesn't have a 3.3 GHz Intel i5 CPU, just a 3.2 GHz i5 and it fails the compatibility check but runs every VR game without problems.
The SteamVR check is far better in this regard as it runs a demo and measures the performance and gives a score based on that.

Maybe Scawen could implement a simple VR Test mode where LFS would switch to the CV1 resolution and measure performance in a similar way that SteamVR does.

Dunno i think i ran some test maybe that from steam dunno i don't remember all i know my pc failed at gpu (ati hd 7750 here).
I had an AMD Radeon 7790 before I got the Nvidia GTX 970 and my PC failed all the VR tests. With the GTX 970 it meets the performance requirements recommended for VR.
I have an i5-4590 with a GTX660 powering my DK2. It's failed every benchmark test that's been thrown at it, but it has run everything I've tried on it up to this point. Elite: Dangerous, AC, PCars, all the demos and showcases - no problem.

Some of the higher-end games like Elite and PCars struggle a little bit, but not to the point where it's completely unplayable. There are a lot of people on their forum with the same problems, but way better gear, so I don't think it's all to do with the hardware...

LFS runs like a dream. No lag or judder at all.
I couldn't set my resolution that high, but I managed to do a test this way:

I set Dynamic Super Resolution in Nvidia control panel to 3840x2160.
The Gpu upscales to this resolution, then somehow downscales it back to 1080, for better quality.

LFS looks much better with this DSR setting.
I also Disabled my SLI so I was only runing on one GPU, since the Oculus sli situation doesnt sound very good.

So, Running one 970m, with DSR enabled set to 4x upscaling, I managed an average of 140fps playing Live for speed, with 10 other cars on the track.

I probably wont get very good results on project cars etc, but it looks like Live for Speed will run for me if a get a rift.

I was considering getting a now cheaper Rift DK2 instead of the new CV1.

I don't have the processing power for anything too fancy, and from what I've heard, Live for speed is great with a Dk2.
-
(kakmanu) DELETED by Scawen : spam including a hidden link
Don't get a DK2 - you will be fine with the CV1 I'm sure and you wouldn't want anything that's going to lose support moving foward and not give the best possible experience... I'm no expert just make sure it will actually install the software and let you use it - I'm pretty sure it will, but just be 100% sure. I'd be pretty amazed if you disappointed with the CV1 plus the DK2 doesn't have full head tracking if I recall correctly - that's a big thing.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :...plus the DK2 doesn't have full head tracking if I recall correctly - that's a big thing.

You're thinking of the DK1 - DK2 definitely has full tracking.
-
(vladlen88) DELETED by Scawen : spam (with link to review site)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG