The online racing simulator
Team Inferno Setup Field webpage (now : LFS' own setup database)
Wanted to check the good old Setup Field of Team Inferno but the webpage is dead now. We have this dead link on: https://www.lfs.net/links
Hmm bummer.
Removed the link for now.
I see Setupgrid hasn't been updated in a while either. Maybe it's time for us to have a setup database?
That would be very helpful,as the old ones does not and most likely will not support new tracks/configurations...
Yes!

Also would be cool to make an in-game database.

Another thing you could possibly do is add a checkbox in Racer details (My hotlaps) to make setup available in database, as well as ask on new hotlap upload. Each setup should have uploaders name, upload time, lap time, track, ... associated.
Quote from Victor :Maybe it's time for us to have a setup database?

Yeah, a brilliant idea. As you said, Setupgrid is outdated now (no Rockingham and still old Westhill setups, IIRC), but at least it's available. It would be awesome to make a database owned by LFS, so we don't have to rely on 3rd party sites when we need fast and good setups. A searchable database in-game would be the best (so you can search for and download the setups in the pits), but I would be happy to use a database on for example LFSWorld.
#7 - nacim
Quote from Victor :Maybe it's time for us to have a setup database?

Yes, that would be really nice, and if it's integrated in game, it would be perfect ! Big grin
Shame that Inferno and My3id no longer exist, but yeah it's really time for a new setup database which is integrated into the official LFS.net website
I opt for this idea too Smile
Quote from Victor :... Maybe it's time for us to have a setup database?

Would be cool if LFS had a SETUP DATABASE integrated! Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up
I've always thought it best for things to be hosted on the LFS-network rather than 3rd party sites. All my skins are also posted on the forum somewhere, just in case of some sort of failure at my end.

It does make sense for there to be an official LFS setup resource.
The 50 million times I saw setup websites being mentioned, yes, this would be a good idea.
OK, well I'm working on it Smile

Just not sure where to place the browser. I don't really want to add things to lfsworld as it feels cramped and its code base is old. But not sure there's a place for it on this site either. Maybe in a break out window ..

yeah, have not figured that out yet. But it's clear what features it should have and I've basically prepared for that so far.
Quote from Bean0 :I've always thought it best for things to be hosted on the LFS-network rather than 3rd party sites. All my skins are also posted on the forum somewhere, just in case of some sort of failure at my end.

It has two sides. I kinda like how some stuff in lfs can be community-run. But stumbling on old 404 links is also annoying.

Quote from Victor :But it's clear what features it should have and I've basically prepared for that so far.

Just for extra inspiration Wink a few things I noticed from other setup sites:
1) Sometimes setups work for multiple tracks.
A way to indicate that would be nice, instead of just posting the same set on different track.

2) Setups are often iterations of other setups.
("This is set XY with more downforce" or "Same as XY but R2 tires.")
Some better way to link such relations?

3) Possible to show some setup info on website?
I must have downloaded countless GTR sets that were for GT2 (restricted)

4) Comments/rating is very important.
It matters by whom they are. ("Good setup 5/5" does not mean much if it comes from new player or so.)

5) Possibility of importing the old setups from other sites?
(setupfield zip: https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1885751#post1885751)
Possible setupgrid.net too.
Could be marked as "automatic imported" or so.
Not sure if would be seen as stealing or such I doubt it would be problem when the site is not maintained anymore.
Realistically at start people will upload the most popular setups anyway, maybe better to import it in orderly way instead of having many double uploads etc.
Quote from Victor :Just not sure where to place the browser. I don't really want to add things to lfsworld as it feels cramped and its code base is old. But not sure there's a place for it on this site either. Maybe in a break out window ..

How about here on this site, under the "More" tab? As the first thing on the list, before "Programmer info".

And with a nice easy URL like www.lfs.net/setups
#17 - troy
Talking setups, some better way to sort setups in LFS itself is sorely missed too! Just the ability to create folders for different tracks or different events would already make the mess I have in my setup list a whole lot less cluttered.
Yes, some sort of filters, like that in LFSLazy addon.
Quote from troy :Talking setups, some better way to sort setups in LFS itself is sorely missed too! Just the ability to create folders for different tracks or different events would already make the mess I have in my setup list a whole lot less cluttered.

and also to split setups between restrictions (GT2 from GT1 or seperating some TBO setups from non restricted versions.)
Quote from Scawen :How about here on this site, under the "More" tab? As the first thing on the list, before "Programmer info".

And with a nice easy URL like www.lfs.net/setups

One thought I had was to add a new 'Files' section. The first category in there could be setups. The second could be layouts for example. And could add more after that. A bit like the good old LFS Database / LFS Files sites.
Quote from troy :Talking setups, some better way to sort setups in LFS itself is sorely missed too! Just the ability to create folders for different tracks or different events would already make the mess I have in my setup list a whole lot less cluttered.

Yep. The ability to browse locally stored setups, in a categorised fashion and in the same way browse setups stored online. Either from your own collection or setups that have been made publically available (or from team mates, depending on the access rights (public / team / private)).

Let's all put our puppy eyes on an look at Scawen Big grin
Quote from Victor :Let's all put our puppy eyes on an look at Scawen Big grin

I bet he is already hating you for saying that haha

Quote from troy :Talking setups, some better way to sort setups in LFS itself is sorely missed too! ...

Agreed! It would be a shame if there was a new setup datbase without updating the current, very basic setup file handling system within LFS itself. For me atm it's just a confusing, endles row of collected setups...

And, if there was an improved setup file handling/folder structure in any way later in LFS maybe Wink, I think there really should be an option to connect to the external database to maybe import e.g. recommended/hotlap/endurance/you_name_it setups? Just my two cents...

Cheers!
We need every setup to have a hash, and link that with some basic information (author, date, LFS version...).

Scawen should change a thing: when someone shares his setup in the game, the name should default to be the original in the hashed set, though you can change it if you want.

This way we are more likely to avoid duplicating setups and 'stealing' others work.
Not sure how I missed this thread but I'm glad it's happening. I was working on a replacement already for CityDriving and considered building a new one for LFS as a whole. Guess I can strike that off of my list!

Maybe someone can rename the thread to avoid confusion?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG