The online racing simulator
Some drivers are so clever...
(30 posts, started )
Can someone kindly explain how, in the middle of a race at a hundred miles an hour some drivers can chat to each other. It takes all my concentration to keep both hands on the wheel without a chance of going "T" and then typing out compliments or complaints about anothers driving!!
Also they somehow ask for someone else's set up and skins and in the twinkling of an eye they've "presumably" got what they wanted!!
What did they do?
How did they do it?
How do they know that they've got it?

Answers, on a post card please, to.......moi
#2 - joen
Probably some of the messages you see on screen are pre set messages which you can post by using keyboard shortcuts. In your options menu, go to Game, and then "F1-8".

Some guys just type really fast though

When a driver is asked for a setup, he can send it to other players in the game by clicking on the "S-S" button behind the name of the beneficiary player in the connection list (press: N to display that if it isn't).
The other player receives a message "player x sent his setup".
Then in the connection lis there will be a green S behind the name of the player who sent the setup. If you click on that there will be a save dialogue, you give it a name, and the setup will appear in your setup list in the garage screen.
I also can't type during racing, so you're not alone. If I DO try to type, well hello kitty litter. Sending setups isn't too hard, though.
One handed typing does help; especially so if you drive with a wheel. You tend to be cruising more than racing if you're typing though, either that or on a long straight.

Note: I'm hardly a fast racer, but its how I do it
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Maybe they have CO driver.
If I am honest, "I canty ep bddly whne rafimg."

Hotkeys are the answer, anything else may not send me to the gravel everytime but will certain ruin any chance of a pb.

What I cannot abide though is being nagged for my setup whilst racing, if I see my name in the corner of the screen, "Becky Rose - setup plz k thx" then I look - because that's my name so somebody is talking to me. If that meens I am on a corner, braking etc, then that usually meens I get annoyed after loosing a couple of places.

If you dont shut up, and my race is long since ruined as a result of seeing my name onscreen everytime I enter a braking zone, you will get a sarcastic comment, a rude gesture, and no flippin setup !
May I suggest blocking the chat? I usually find that helps.
steer with your chin. then you have two hands free to type
Haha, okay, evil persons will now ram you as soon as they notice you're in a heavy typing session. Hope you didn't set that FF too high
they do that already... i have a scar on my chin
i steer with my elbows when i type but i usually type fast enough to where i dont even need to steer since i usually.. which most people do, is type on the straightaways

but its really not that hard, you just have to know how to type....well lol

as for sending setups.. yea.. i dont suggest trying that in the bf1, its quite a hassle when you get into lots of turns, im lucky if i can even open the name box.. much less get my mouse over and find the dumb person requesting it

which.. thats a good idea, we should have a "request setup" button next to SS.. and when someone requests our setup, it flashes or turns blue or something so we know who it is great idea isnt it
It really depends on what your wheel setup is like. If you have the space to actually place the keyboard behind the wheel then chin and elbow steering are understandable (and also why typing is so fast and easy). I for example, have to put the keyboard to the right of the steering wheel, which not only screws up my typing, but it's also hard to use both hands for it, so im double screwed with one-handed and horizontally-shifted typing.
Quote from Gabkicks :steer with your chin. then you have two hands free to type

That's actually what I do... But I can't do it for long, as the FFB makes it difficult! That... or I use my left leg, and start right-foot braking
I just usually ignore people who are talking to me, i wait til i am either pitting, or changing car, i say something like "I can't chat while racing, scuse me if i ignore you lol"
Quote from joen :Probably some of the messages you see on screen are pre set messages which you can post by using keyboard shortcuts. In your options menu, go to Game, and then "F1-8".

Some guys just type really fast though

When a driver is asked for a setup, he can send it to other players in the game by clicking on the "S-S" button behind the name of the beneficiary player in the connection list (press: N to display that if it isn't).
The other player receives a message "player x sent his setup".
Then in the connection lis there will be a green S behind the name of the player who sent the setup. If you click on that there will be a save dialogue, you give it a name, and the setup will appear in your setup list in the garage screen.

Thanks Joen, I didn't know that. May I ask a follow up? Once the player you have asked to send you his set up with the SS you mention, where does it go, how do you recognize it and how do you know it's on your own LFS program? Sori, thats a lot, innit?
Press "N", until the connection list comes up. There is a green "S" after the driver, who just sent you his set. Click on it and you get asked to name it. Then, you can chose it under the name, you gave it.
#17 - joen
It goes into your live for speed/data/settings folder, just where you would normally drop setups.
You know that you have it when you have saved the replay. After the message on the screen "player x sent his setup" has appeared, you click on the button I mentioned, and then you will be asked to give the setup a name. After you click ok it's saved in LFS. When you enter the pits after that, the setup will appear where all your other setups are
Quote from peejayh :Thanks Joen, I didn't know that. May I ask a follow up? Once the player you have asked to send you his set up with the SS you mention, where does it go, how do you recognize it and how do you know it's on your own LFS program? Sori, thats a lot, innit?

When you hit SS, you don't ask him to send his setup, on the contrary, you do send him your own setup. To receive a setup, you just have to ask him verbally. If he choses to send you his setup you will see it, as one "S" in the connection list will appear green. Click on that green "S" and then it prompts you to enter a name for that setup.

Again
  • To send your own setup, click on "SS" besides the user that shall receive it
  • To receive a setup, ask the user to send it and wait for the "SS" besides his name to turn into a normal and a green one. Then click the green "S" to save it.
E: beaten... twice :´(
I can type and race fine, but only really on straights. Sometimes, if I'm going off on one, I'll pause with the text box on screen during a corner, then carry on typing on the way out. I think I've slowly written one message over the course of a lap before.

It depends though on if I'm racing bumper to bumper with someone, or I've plenty of clear space front and rear, so extra concentration is required. General racing around the track is quite light on the brain (unless hotlapping) having been doing it for so many years now. Especially since the cars handle so well.
Quote from AndroidXP :I also can't type during racing, so you're not alone. If I DO try to type, well hello kitty litter. Sending setups isn't too hard, though.

I can't even READ and drive let alone type and drive
Quote from XCNuse :i steer with my elbows when i type but i usually type fast enough to where i dont even need to steer since i usually.. which most people do, is type on the straightaways

I tried that, but beings my keyboard is on the keyboard shelf under my wheel, I had to sit on my head upsidedown to do it. Next corner, I ended up turning the wrong way!!!

Seriously, this drives me batty as well. If I type something while I'm racing, it usually takes me 2 or 3 long straights to do it. In the first S2 release, the FF was disabled when you hit "T" to chat. That isn't the case anymore, so I find I can chat and just leave it up for the next few corners and finish on the next straight. I try not to chat while I'm racing though.

Sorry
Np

Or put it another way

L3
R3
Select
Start

That's as clever as i get.
When i play the demo around my friends house its as easy as pie.

I shout out what i want him to type while i carry on playing (using his wheel)

At home i leave it to the straight on blackwood (demo boy here :P ) keep the throttle on with me right hand and the left does the typing
Some ppl are just fast typers, I can only get out a few words durring a race other than what's bound to the chat keys. Also depends on the car/track combo too... UF1 on the oval I ussualy go make a sandwich durring the conversation
I have my keyboard turned 90 degrees next to my wheel when I'm racing..

Now that's a typing challenge :hyper:

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG