The online racing simulator
prescription glasses; my eyesight sucks.

Well, another interesting note I will add is really really good force feedback.

On Raceroom, at Laguna Seca, I felt more bumps than I have in any other game, not to mention it affected the steering like it should too. So that certainly helps gain some muscle memory on braking points as well.
As far as Gs go.. not much you can do, but steering feedback certainly helps.

I mean, remember back when when you had a wheel with no FF?
And then try to go back to that now? It'd be really really awkward, and you'd probably be quite slow and have to concentrate quite hard on hearing how the car is reacting.

I just think, all of the small details that make a sim more realistic, allows you to react more properly.
The further you distance yourself and mind from reality, the more it becomes a "game" of action, vs reaction.
Are you sure that's not just RR bypassing FFB deadzone or something? Try doing the same thing in AC and iR and see if it helps.
GPL does American racing, here's the 71 Can Am series.
http://www.virtualr.net/1971-canam-mod-for-grand-prix-legends-released

The mighty 7-litre McLaren M8A of 1968 was the first of the series which dominated Can-Am for five years, driven by McLaren, Hulme and Revson

ABOVE Bruce McLaren at the wheel of his M8B, powering it through a left-hand bend at Laguna Seca in 1969; he won the race.

Reprinted from The Car Volume 6 Part 68 - 1985

In 1966, the debut year of the Canadian American Challenge Cup series - the Can-Am for short - Bruce McLaren's M1B sports cars were outclassed by their more powerful Lola and Chaparral opposition. In 1972 the M20s lost out in the power stakes to Roger Penske's brutally fast turbocharged Porsches. In the intervening years, however, the Can-Am was McLaren. The orange cars from Colnbrook notched up 38 victories, while privateer cars accounted for two more. Even in that final year of eclipse the works cars won twice and a private example once, bringing the final marque tally to an incredible 43.

McLaren himself won the Can-Am title in 1967 and 1969, while team-mate Denny Hulme won it in 1968 and salvaged something from the team's distress by taking his second title in 1970, the year in which Bruce was killed testing an M8D. Hulme's 1971 team-mate was colorful American Peter Revson, who took the title in the M8F.

Still carry the Kiwi symbol, and so do the cars.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG