The online racing simulator
how about changeing engine/weight of cars?
im not sure if this has been brought up before, and if it was sorry. but id like to see some kind of editor where you can make hp/tq graphs of the cars, along with sprung/unsprung wt... etc. that way you could make cars that mimic real life ones. plus it would be fun to make up a whole hp/tq graph . of course changeing the type of motor would add (v8) or subtract (I4) weight. pllus different motors have different charteristics. what do you think?

btw this is my first post even tho id had the game since 04'.. i love it
LFSTweak Can only modify the 3 demo cars, but I believe it does everything youve mentioned.
i know im dreaming here, but imange a editor where you could take say a I4 block, tweak the bore, flow of heads, exhust backpressure, cam lift/ duration, the whole cam profile, timeing, compression, stroke, a/f mixture, turbo, nitrous, intake manafold efficency, etc... etc... you could make engines moldled after real ones. you could have a mild "stock" motor or one with extreme cam timeing and the such. that would open up even more classes with in cars. is that even possible? i know there are engine dyno programs out there that you can edit that stuff and get a estimated HP/TQ graph. if you where able to tweak the cars too, you could have cars that handle and drive excatly like their real world ones. just needed to get that out!
Don't hold your breath
Been mentioned hundreds of times before. The trouble is it would have to extremely simplified for most people to cope (even a lot of people who think they know about engines), and wouldn't add anything to the racing. People would quickly use the most powerful engine for a given combo, and we'd be back to where we are now but with quicker lap times.
one thing just pass in my mind, "if" we have customizable engine, will be nice get rid of 3, 5 lap racing. make minimum 10 laps , more powerfull engine , probably more heavy will wear the tyres and burn more fuel.

just a thought.
"changing" not "changeing"... where are you from by the way?
Going by the flag I'd say he's speaking "US English"
'Cept "changeing" is wrong in ALL english, it's adding a suffix to a verb, where you drop the "e" and add "ing"...

Simple Grade 4ish Grammar.

Also edited to please the grammar fool below.. :P

(wooh, almost put 2 t's in edited.. )
Whereas you seem to be speaking a rare form of English that has no quotation marks or apostrophes

But not since you edited your post in a timely fashion ^_^
Quote from tristancliffe :Been mentioned hundreds of times before. The trouble is it would have to extremely simplified for most people to cope (even a lot of people who think they know about engines), and wouldn't add anything to the racing. People would quickly use the most powerful engine for a given combo, and we'd be back to where we are now but with quicker lap times.

Thats debatable. Not every one likes the same types of engines. i myself don't like V motors(road cars) and if given the choice would pick a inline block before it.
Some may like High reving engines while others like more torque.

Maybe its a european thing (most people on here are from europe) but it seems a majority of the people here are more concerened with racing telemetry than Setting up the car in terms of strategy. am not saying its as a bad thing.

i know am not the fastest driver and i think its neat to beable to be competive on another level than telemetry.

So to the original poster not many people seem see the value of such a system.
I think its a very interesting idea, but only if implemented in a realistic way.
EX: you put a very powerfull V12 engine on a weak chassis like UF1, that would mean that the car would be a total disaster and even the chassis would break

Sorry for my english
Uh huh... great... I imagined an hour of waiting for the list of servers, where will be thousands of servers with one person for each... IMHO - LFStweak is the answer, and let's stick to original LFS
Quote from squidhead :Uh huh... great... I imagined an hour of waiting for the list of servers, where will be thousands of servers with one person for each... IMHO - LFStweak is the answer, and let's stick to original LFS

thats assuming that more people don't join because of such of an addition.
Quote from lalathegreat :Thats debatable. Not every one likes the same types of engines. i myself don't like V motors(road cars) and if given the choice would pick a inline block before it.
Some may like High reving engines while others like more torque.

even if the v motor was slower? Seems like a funny concept just for the sake of some boganism

Quote from lalathegreat : Maybe its a european thing (most people on here are from europe) but it seems a majority of the people here are more concerened with racing telemetry than Setting up the car in terms of strategy. am not saying its as a bad thing.

i know am not the fastest driver and i think its neat to beable to be competive on another level than telemetry.

So to the original poster not many people seem see the value of such a system.

what do you mean by 'racing telemetry'?? Surely it's not that much fun to be faster than someone else because you have a better engine?
I think being able to adjust 'engine feel' type items, ie flywheel weight, idle rpm, rev limit, etc, would be a useful addition to the racing (LFS is a *racing* simulator after all, not an engine simulator...) but as for the rest of it, how would it help the racing? Sounds more like you're after a drag racing simulator, where shop time and money is what wins you the race...
well i don't like V motors cause i just don't like them. idk i guess i rather a high reving inline to a low reving torque montser. there other reasons aswell but i have nothing agasint them or anything.

what i meant was people seem to be more concerned with racing line rather than the other areas of racing. i myself find fun in setting up a car from suspension to engine to transmission. i could prob come in dead last and have fun thinking of where i could improve the car.

Now that isnt to say i want more power.

Quote :LFS is a *racing* simulator after all, not an engine simulator

the engine is a keypart of racing, asleast the way i see it.

Quote :but as for the rest of it, how would it help the racing?

form me i see it adding lots of dimensions.

i think league races would become more interesting for example teams become more important now because you might have to rely on them on making a good engine Suspension setup. Assuming that in a league u lock what u can change for the series.(not going to switch from a V motor to an inline half way through the seires).

5 lap races could become more interesting aswell. i seen people ask for accelerated fuel comsumption and tire wear. u could easily race with 600-700HP GTR cars and burn through tires and gas quickly.

Drag racing now has a point.

improves drifting to a certain extent.

It could be possible that none of those affect you but those additions could possibly bring alot of new racers to the game which is what LFS needs more than anything.

Quote :where shop time and money is what wins you the race

almost in any real major racing league that what it takes. but this is a game and money isnt a issue in that regard.
Leave LFS as it is and put out a LFS tweak for S2. But only alow the tweak to work in single player mode!!

Would be nice to play around witht he cars in S2
Quote from dawesdust_12 :'Cept "changeing" is wrong in ALL english, it's adding a suffix to a verb, where you drop the "e" and add "ing"...

Simple Grade 4ish Grammar.

Also edited to please the grammar fool below.. :P

(wooh, almost put 2 t's in edited.. )

DUUUUUUSTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bananalla
All that effort just for me, I'm touched
#20 - Gunn
Quote from Hankstar :I'm touched

Ewww!
You, sir, have a filthy mind.

Dirty little boys

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG