The online racing simulator
ZIP-ing
(13 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
ZIP-ing
I would like to distribute 1.84 Gb's worth of files on a cd, so i zipped it with WinRAR, after that it was 1.83 Gb! What do you recomend i use for the task? If it helps they are all exe's (office 2007)
Quote from Jakg :I would like to distribute 1.84 Gb's worth of files on a cd, so i zipped it with WinRAR, after that it was 1.83 Gb! What do you recomend i use for the task? If it helps they are all exe's (office 2007)

What I heard 7zip has better results but hard to say as I never try it out.
#3 - filur
Quote from Jakg :I would like to distribute 1.84 Gb's worth of files on a cd, so i zipped it with WinRAR, after that it was 1.83 Gb! What do you recomend i use for the task? If it helps they are all exe's (office 2007)

You can't magically compress data, if there's 1.83gb of unique data, any form of lossless compression will result in an 1.83gb file. If the exe's you're trying to compress are installation files, they're probably already compressed.

7-zip is very good for compressing multiple files with very similar contents, other then that it's pretty much the same, a bit more aggressive compression at the cost of alot longer time to compress.
#4 - Jakg
it was on max before, im now trying with 7Zip, if that doesnt help then i geuss ill just have to distriubute it with the core components
#5 - bal00
Don't bother with 7zip and just burn 3 CD's. If zip only achieves a ~5% reduction in filesize, you can be sure the files are heavily compressed already and other compression tools won't do significantly better.
Either try compressing it more, or using a split rar file so that you can put it on multiple cd's (if its one big file..).
#7 - Jakg
Quote from the_angry_angel :Either try compressing it more, or using a split rar file so that you can put it on multiple cd's (if its one big file..).

i would like to, but who has WinRAR installed?
In todays times, who hasn't?

I guess that 1.83GB are mainly music/video files? These are already compressed and cannot magically shrink down. Now if you had 1.83GB of text files, then it could probably be shrunk down to 180MB
#9 - Jakg
Quote from AndroidXP :In todays times, who hasn't?

I guess that 1.83GB are mainly music/video files? These are already compressed and cannot magically shrink down. Now if you had 1.83GB of text files, then it could probably be shrunk down to 180MB

nope, exe's (Office 2007)
you are talking about a cracked office installer right?
or a beta?
#11 - Jakg
Quote from ORION :you are talking about a cracked office installer right?
or a beta?

oh no, perfectly legal beta (although putting on a cd probably isnt in the EULA), they (M$) sent me a link via a technet email!
Who said anything about WinRAR. You dont have to use it you know.

7Zip is perfectly adequate to open split rar's, and as for creation there are other tools out there.
Yep, I use WinAce, still opens everything. I did testing between the three of them (WinZip, WinRar and WinAce, and WinAce seemed to give the best compression, with WinZip coming last). It's not like I did heavy test though. I just like to be different.

ZIP-ing
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG