The online racing simulator
Asphalt Textures Mapping
(15 posts, started )
#1 - Honey
Asphalt Textures Mapping
i'm wondering if someone already extracted the texture mappings for asphalt, because i'm working on the LFS Hi-Res textures project (as many others) and since lfs textures have weird mappings (the same texture is used sometimes as whole sometimes only part of it and a lot diifferente stretches), it would require a lot of time to extract this information, so if someone already did, he would save me/us a lot of work, thanks!

obviously the devs (Eric) have for sure this information but i guess they're not willing to disclose this information.
on a track no way, what exactly would you need it for though? we can all say the mapping isnt exactly perfect in any way (that would take years and would be.. a waste and doesnt really look right all the time either)

but since none of the tracks have even been extracted, its fair to say that this.. hasnt even been thought of lol
Can you make a texture with a bright green edge, so that in LFS the mapping shows up. Then simply (lol, simply) take an overhead screenshot of the whole track (or lots of little screenshots to make a collage) and voila, a map of the tarmac maps.
#4 - Honey
obviously i wasnt clear enough: if i needed that, lol i don't really need...BUT, armac textures are used in a weirdo way, just htink about car skins wich have regions mapped to different side of car (up, right, left, wing, etc.) now imagine a skin that has a region for right a region for left and the entire skin is mapped to the upperside...like a matrioska! do you get that? weird isn't it? that's why i need the matrioska mapping not the borders...that's why Eric takes months to update textures and not to mention that such a graphic puzzle doesn't have a "solution" (mathematically speaking :razz
what will a UV map do for you though?, you cant edit the mapping on it just a texture, and texture is a texture, it has no affect on how something will look stretched out or squished wise
#6 - Honey
Quote from XCNuse :what will a UV map do for you though?, you cant edit the mapping on it just a texture, and texture is a texture, it has no affect on how something will look stretched out or squished wise

i dont care of the stretching (i already got rid of it somehow), the problem is the "matrioska" is like creating a skin without knowing where is the left side where the uper side etc. you could end up by putting a logo half on one side and half on the other side being cutted sharply in the middle.

well i guess nobody did this mapping before, and i dont believe devs will disclose it, so i guess i have to do it all by myself... damn is not difficult to do it, it's only a waste of time

thanks anyway for the interest
cause no one knows what the hell you need it for? cant you just put the texture right over the original and it wont change a thing..

the UV mapping wont show you anything at all, its 1 texture that is repeated..

i still dont understand why you need it
#8 - Honey
Quote from XCNuse :its 1 texture that is repeated..

i still dont understand why you need it

because it isnt the texture just repeated, it is the texture close to parts of the sam texture...an asphalt texture is a texture itself an at the same time some regions of it are used as texture as well, is it hard to understand?
the whole thing is used.. always

or else it would be a waste of space
Quote from XCNuse :the whole thing is used.. always

or else it would be a waste of space

yes but the problem is that i have to find the inner boxes so that i can made them to behave as tiles otherwise that boxes will cause the "repetition effect" when used alone.
Quote from XCNuse :ohhhh .. you want to know how to make seamless textures

well this is somewhat OT but i would check this program out:
http://www.i-tex.de/news.php

this may help also
http://www.bitbrush.com/tutorial1.html

nooooooooo! i'll try to make a picture to make more clear.
what i need to know is texture n°2 boundaries inside texture n°1, otherwise i have to reverse engineer by myself, easy to do but a very waste of time...
Attached images
example.gif
ya.. thats why i said you just have to work with what is given

actually i would try something similar to what tristan said, its like what we (3d modelers) do when we UVW map things is we set a checker map, so what you can do is make the texture bright (i mean.. like solid colors) for what you want and you can see what goes where like.. section it up into red, blue, green, yellow etc
Quote from XCNuse :ya.. thats why i said you just have to work with what is given

actually i would try something similar to what tristan said, its like what we (3d modelers) do when we UVW map things is we set a checker map, so what you can do is make the texture bright (i mean.. like solid colors) for what you want and you can see what goes where like.. section it up into red, blue, green, yellow etc

yes i had in mind to replace each texture (one at time) with a grid where each cell contains numbers, so to have accurate enough "coordinates" of "inner" texture, i know how to do it i was seeking for someone that already did, or if the devs are willing to disclose such information.

anyway thanks for the patience
ya well.. hey, i mean doing it that way would make it even better cause then you can map out exactly what it looks like.. on every mapping instead of just having that UV map overlay which imo doesnt really help on textures like those where its just.. gonna be a rectangle

Asphalt Textures Mapping
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG