The online racing simulator
AI crash avoidance
(5 posts, started )
AI crash avoidance
Hi all,

I just got the game yesterday and am very impressed with the driving feel. The number of different vehicles, tracks and events is also quite good.

One thing which is absolutely horrendous is the AI, or rather how AI behaves around other players/AIs. It seems like AI is looking for every possible way of bumping me/others from behind/side which is completely ruining the game for me. There are no servers going on in Australia that I can see, so being forced to play offline with a horrid AI is... bad.

Surely it's not that hard to do? Let the AI follow it's predefined path(s?) and simply detect if theres anything closer than X and if so - slow down? Is this something that is currently being worked on?

Thanks!
The best way to race the AI players is to put on the AI race line (press 4 key until Green line appears).

The AI players will follow this line. They will go full speed where line is green, lift/slow when the line goes yellow, and brake when line changes to red. So if you stay off this line, or are at least aware of it, you can allow for it and you'll likely not be bumped as much.
Quote from pas0003 :Let the AI follow it's predefined path(s?) and simply detect if theres anything closer than X and if so - slow down? Is this something that is currently being worked on?

When I'm overtaking Als on straight they hit the brakes if I'm close to them, and I think thats annoying. But when I have a pincture or big damage etc, it's very hard to avoid Als hitting me. That's not as big problem, as it's when pitting and then there comes Al car 80kph into rear wing and I can't do anything. Yesterday I got so big suspension damage that I couldn't even get the car moving because wheels didn't touch the ground.
It's true that AIs sometimes look aggressive, but if you stay on the line, that rarely happens, and what i could say "aggressive" is them trying to overtake me. They're unaware of their sideways.
All of this, yet I feel that the AI is better than almost any other racing sim. They are a few small tweaks away from being excellent. I think the number of offline racers far outweigh the online ones, yet the AI get little attention.

All they need is a bit better collision prediction, and some randomization to their skills/setups, and LFS would have great AI. Better yet, let us set the handicap in the options where one sets the AI names!

Right now I have to create a half dozen AI-setups which are all tweaked in random ways, to avoid the single-file nonsense. I always set one with only rear brakes, to simulate racing with my brother.

The interface for starting a race should show the setup name after each AI, or let us set handicaps within the AI naming options. That would be the lowest-hanging fruit for a HUGE improvement.

AI crash avoidance
(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG