The online racing simulator
Xbox One controller - half axes input for acceleration/braking
Hi, I'm trying to setup acceleration and braking to shoulder triggers, but left and right triggers are read as part of a single axis (RY), left being -1 and right +1. How should I configure it?

Even if I try to use a shoulder trigger for acceleration and right stick for braking, I would need to clamp the axes to work from 0 to 1, ignoring 0 to -1. But as soon as I go even slightly into the negative direction (more prone to happen on the stick input), the calibration loses the soft clamp, making neutral input a half pressed brake/acceleration.

In the end: I wish I could assign the same axis to accelerate/brake, or at least to have a locked clamp on them.

Or my inability to setup was my misunderstanding of the config?
#2 - pik_d
** Best answer **
I use XBCD drivers which split the axis, I'm not sure if there's any way using the default drivers. I don't think LFS uses XInput, I was kind of hoping this would change with the move to DX9 but it's obviously not that simple.
"XInput is an API that allows applications to receive input from the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows."

Notably absent from the "list" of input controllers that XInput supports is steering wheels, and any other form of controller that isn't an Xbox controller... It would be a pretty stupid move to switch.

XInput is an example of Microsoft changing its APIs (DirectInput is allegedly legacy these days) to try to gain a monopoly.
You are right, PeterN. I did buy a stupid Xbox controller because of that imposition some games adopted and I'm not proud of this.

I watched how BeamNG.drive was implementing input devices and I do not envy whoever has this task. But, since LFS already has a lot of options for each person to get it's input, the half-axis option would be minimal to implement. It would be very similar to the already available invert.
This way they wouldn't drop support for all the others and still support the mainstream one. No need to leave a share behind.

Thanks, pik_d. I'll give it a try when the Oculus headache passes. Or wait LFS, since I think it's on their interest.

Xbox One controller - half axes input for acceleration/braking
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG