The online racing simulator
Force feeback bad feelings
(20 posts, started )
Hi
I am not really satisfied by logitech DFP force feedback and i usually set force to 0 in some case for only one reason:

When front wheel start drifting, an real life steering wheel must become very light. In LFS, the wheel get harder and harder when the car starts to drift.illepall

Is there any setting to solve this ???

Thanks
You mean understeering? It's actually LFS that's making the feeling, not DFP itself. LFS understeer isn't as realistic as it could be at the moment, and it might change in the future.

Setting force feedback to 0% isn't exactly better than driving with littlebit force, as you will lose all the feeling there is rendering the wheel useless.
Quote from AndroidXP :Here we go again. Where does your 'knowledge' come from? Hearsay? Other sims? Or own real life experience?

Was this pointed at me? I will respond anyway.

I drive a understeery car every day throughout the year in real life, so yes, own experience. Especially at winter with all-season tires understeer causes the steering to go lighter. Isn't as drastic in the summer, but it does feel a lot more dramatic than LFS:s understeer. Have you personally experienced heavy understeer in real life?
from my experience... the understeer feels realistic. it goes light but its very subtle unless you are pulling off some crazy move
Quote from Matrixi :Was this pointed at me? I will respond anyway.

I drive a understeery car every day throughout the year in real life, so yes, own experience. Especially at winter with all-season tires understeer causes the steering to go lighter. Isn't as drastic in the summer, but it does feel a lot more dramatic than LFS:s understeer. Have you personally experienced heavy understeer in real life?

No, it was directed at prot88

Personally, yes, I have expereinced heavy understeer, both on snow and at the mandatory driving security lessons we have to take here to get our drivers license (which had wet low-grip areas, like the zebra crossing stuff). Not on normal tarmac though.

The loss in steering resistance was very subtle and not like totally exaggerated effects you feel in other sims. Again, I dunno how it's on dry tarmac, so the value of my experience is limited.
Quote from AndroidXP :Here we go again. Where does your 'knowledge' come from? Hearsay? Other sims? Or own real life experience?

Also, http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=7823

My knowledge come from real life experience.
I make some track days with a Ford Cosworth (www.protois.com). Even my car is a four wheel drive, I experienced many oversteerings in short curves. In this cases, I turn much quickly and easily my steering wheel than in LSF.

Happy to know that force feedback will change soon
I don't know if it will 'change soon'. It's nothing you can simply code in, as all FF is generated from the forces sent to the steering column. The only way to 'change' FF is altering tyre physics and suspension behaviour.
You're right about understeer being exaggerated in other sims (it's way too dramatic in nkpro for example) but I do still think it should be a bit more obvious than how we currently feel it in LFS. I tested understeering with the XRG on grass with normal tires and very high pressures, the steering didn't go light at all like it should have (pretty much like on snow).

I've only experienced dry tarmac understeering a few times in real life as I was driving an unknown road with a bit too much speed and got in to a unexpected tight turn after a slight hill causing the car not to turn (managed to drive to a field of grass next to the road). That understeering moment teached me not to drive fast in winding roads that I don't know.
sorry for my bad english but I will try to explain exactly what I mean.

I think it's not "understeering" or "oversteering"' but only when front wheels starts to slip.

In real life, when your car is drifting (oversteering in a left curve for example) and you have to get back your steering wheel to the left to avoid a 180°, you can make it very quickly. And I can't do that in LFS because of the resistance of the force feedback.
Quote from prot88 :...you have to get back your steering wheel to the left to avoid a 180°

sorry, to the RIGHT of course
Ohhhh, that's not normal. Go to your wheel's driver/control panel and under FF settings disable the steer centering spring (or whatever it's called).

The FF in LFS does indeed make the front wheels point where the car goes, so on oversteer you experience sort of an automatic countersteering effect. If you don't set up your FF wheel correctly then LFS' forces may be masked by wheel-induced (and completely unrealistic) forces.
Quote from prot88 :sorry for my bad english but I will try to explain exactly what I mean.

I think it's not "understeering" or "oversteering"' but only when front wheels starts to slip.

In real life, when your car is drifting (oversteering in a left curve for example) and you have to get back your steering wheel to the left to avoid a 180°, you can make it very quickly. And I can't do that in LFS because of the resistance of the force feedback.

Mmm.. so you mean catching the oversteer before you spin out? Set everything to 0% (except overall effects strenght) in the Logitech profiler. Also remember to use 720 degrees instead of 900 degrees with the LFS roadcars, that will make catching slides easier too.

I've seen many people say that drifting/catching a slide on DFP is impossible, and it's not true. It can be done with practice and hard work, I've created a short video to demonstrate it too http://nismo.1g.fi/temp/dfp720.avi

*Edit* note to self: learn to post faster.
Quote from Matrixi :*Edit* note to self: learn to post faster.

Quote from AndroidXP :Ohhhh, that's not normal. Go to your wheel's driver/control panel and under FF settings disable the steer centering spring (or whatever it's called).

The FF in LFS does indeed make the front wheels point where the car goes, so on oversteer you experience sort of an automatic countersteering effect. If you don't set up your FF wheel correctly then LFS' forces may be masked by wheel-induced (and completely unrealistic) forces.

Ohh! Didn't tried this !
It's much better !
I'll train with this settings... Must be nearest real life.

THANKS
Get in the XFR, throw it into a low speed turn in a low gear, then punt the throttle. Steering goes very light. Admittedly without spinning the wheels, it doesn't make much difference... but should it?
i dunno why i even have the link in my sig...
Quote from Gabkicks :i dunno why i even have the link in my sig...

:ices_rofl but who bothers to read sig's anyway ?

[edit] Wow Matrixi, just watched the vid, that sure is some skillful driving , but, i'd like to see you do it with my wheel. I use an extra set of paddles grafted on to the back of the wheel for the throttle and brake
Great vid ! and great driving.
Some training for me and I will do the same :static:
Quote from Mazz4200 :I use an extra set of paddles grafted on to the back of the wheel for the throttle and brake

No clutch pedal eh? I couldn't even imagine living without one. http://nismo.1g.fi/temp/desktop.jpg
-
(IReallyHateBureaucracy) DELETED by IReallyHateBureaucracy

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG