The online racing simulator
little different - GFX card specs?
(16 posts, started )
Ok, since there's tons of posts all the time asking about "what card should I get?" and it's always basically the same answer, I was wondering about the card specs. I'll be looking for a card sometime, but I'm very limited on funds, so I don't want to hear "get a 6600GT" from everyone as that would be out of my range. Also, don't want to here "save up..." as that's not possible with kids, wife, etc.

So, my question so I can just look at specs vs. price and decide, what are the important specs on a gfx card? I assume the core clock and memory clock are important. What numbers would be recommended nowadays? What numbers on a budget mind?

How about pixelpipeline? What is that? What would be good?

I know what to look for with directX version and AGP/PCI-e. That's easy.

I see $400 (US) cards listing core clock at 470 mhz (7800GTX), yet I see an older x1300 ATI card with 600 mhz core clock for $83. What the heck should you look at when looking for a gfx card in your price range rather than getting the latest and greatest? It looks to me like the old $83 card is a MUCH better deal then spending the extra $317 illepall .

Please help us noob graphics card buyers out with some info here rather than just recommending the big buck cards (small bucks to one can be big or very big bucks to another ).

... Heck, I just spent $500 on an A64 3500 complete PC, monitor, printer, everything. I really don't want to spend that much or even half that much on just one little component. Just remember this - "small bucks to one can be big or very big bucks to another" - that I wrote up above if or when responding to this.
#2 - Jakg
you cant compare gfx cards on the specs!
Look for performance review sites, they usually pitch every card on the market against one another every 6 months or so. Average benchmark results are meangingful. The clock speed of the GPU, memory, or (shudders) even worse, the amount of graphics RAM, means so little it's best to not even know.

The 6600GT WAS the card to buy for sensible money.... 18 months ago. Hence I bought one. Now it's aging quite rapidly and does not have the bang-for-buck it used to possess. However 6600GTs are cheap now, and still not a bad buy on a tight budget.
Quote from mrodgers :Ok, since there's tons of posts all the time asking about "what card should I get?" and it's always basically the same answer, I was wondering about the card specs. I'll be looking for a card sometime, but I'm very limited on funds, so I don't want to hear "get a 6600GT" from everyone as that would be out of my range. Also, don't want to here "save up..." as that's not possible with kids, wife, etc.

So, my question so I can just look at specs vs. price and decide, what are the important specs on a gfx card? I assume the core clock and memory clock are important. What numbers would be recommended nowadays? What numbers on a budget mind?

How about pixelpipeline? What is that? What would be good?

I know what to look for with directX version and AGP/PCI-e. That's easy.

I see $400 (US) cards listing core clock at 470 mhz (7800GTX), yet I see an older x1300 ATI card with 600 mhz core clock for $83. What the heck should you look at when looking for a gfx card in your price range rather than getting the latest and greatest? It looks to me like the old $83 card is a MUCH better deal then spending the extra $317 illepall .

Please help us noob graphics card buyers out with some info here rather than just recommending the big buck cards (small bucks to one can be big or very big bucks to another ).

... Heck, I just spent $500 on an A64 3500 complete PC, monitor, printer, everything. I really don't want to spend that much or even half that much on just one little component. Just remember this - "small bucks to one can be big or very big bucks to another" - that I wrote up above if or when responding to this.

Sorry to say that even you dont want to hear it but you build this PC probably also for some little gaming and you want to spend extra little money on graphic card.Its like putting WV Beatle engine into a racing car.

Its hard to give you advice by explaining you all the things around graphic cards.There is so much to tell that it could take many pages.

Just tell us how much want you to spend and we can give you a proper advice.

Basically: 8-16 pipelines as minimal,128-256MB RAM(DDR2/DDR3 running at least 800Mhz and at least 128bit memory bus),400Mhz GPU clock minimal. This is really basic one as the more clocks dont always mean better peformance nowdays.

It really depend what kind of games you want to play on this card.
#5 - Jakg
Quote from Bob Smith :Look for performance review sites, they usually pitch every card on the market against one another every 6 months or so. Average benchmark results are meangingful. The clock speed of the GPU, memory, or (shudders) even worse, the amount of graphics RAM, means so little it's best to not even know.

The 6600GT WAS the card to buy for sensible money.... 18 months ago. Hence I bought one. Now it's aging quite rapidly and does not have the bang-for-buck it used to possess. However 6600GTs are cheap now, and still not a bad buy on a tight budget.

and as their cheap you can buy one, then buy another one and SLi, it what ive done and it rocks, altho when in SLi mode my pc seems to reboot every 2 mins!
Quote from Jakg :and as their cheap you can buy one, then buy another one and SLi, it what ive done and it rocks, altho when in SLi mode my pc seems to reboot every 2 mins!

Well dont buy SLI unless you going to spend money for something like 2x7900GT.Its alway better to buy 1 more powerfull card then buy another later when it will be outdated and will not give you enough peformance even in SLI for modern newer games in future.

Jakg,
The rebooting might be your PowerSupply which dont give enought juice to your cards.What SLI setup you have and what PSU spec?
#7 - Jakg
clock speed means nothing rly, my 9600 XT stock was 500, i pushed it up to 560 b4 the artefacts appeared, then when i bought my 6600's, just one clocked at 350 (i like to keep it cool when its not really working) got double the fps of it!
#8 - Jakg
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Well dont buy SLI unless you going to spend money for something like 2x7900GT.Its alway better to buy 1 more powerfull card then buy another later when it will be outdated and will not give you enough peformance even in SLI for modern newer games in future.

Jakg,
The rebooting might be your PowerSupply which dont give enought juice to your cards.What SLI setup you have and what PSU spec?

i have:
a Hyper Power ATX 2.2 580 Watt PSU, so that might not be the problem, but its plugging into an Asus A8N-SLi Premium, 1 Gb of ram, AMD 64 4000+ San Diego and 2x XFX 6600 GT's (256 Mb)
Quote from Jakg :i have:
a Hyper Power ATX 2.2 580 Watt PSU, so that might not be the problem, but its plugging into an Asus A8N-SLi Premium, 1 Gb of ram, AMD 64 4000+ San Diego and 2x XFX 6600 GT's (256 Mb)

What about all the temps...CPU,GPU`s,chipset?Everything looks fine?

I think you have 2x12V rails so put CPU and everything other on 1st one and the both GPU on second one.If you already running like this then I would put CPU+GPU on 1st one and 2nd GPU+everything other and the second one.Would be worth ty try it.
Quote from Jakg :i have:
a Hyper Power ATX 2.2 580 Watt PSU, so that might not be the problem

[anger type="rant"]OH DEAR GOD WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN THE WATTAGE MEANS NOTHING?!?!111oneoneone. Even when its bolded?[/anger]

Despite your PSU being 580watts, its possible that you're over loading one of sets of rails, and thus the system is dying.

Alternatively you've got the potential for some heat there, if you're using the stock heatsink and cooler on that AMD64, consider an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (without the crap paste they give you).

Edit: Can we also assume you mean Hiper?
Quote from the_angry_angel :[anger type="rant"]OH DEAR GOD WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN THE WATTAGE MEANS NOTHING?!?!111oneoneone. Even when its bolded?[/anger]

Never,because 1st what you will see advertised is mega WATT the PSU have.Thats not many people who buing PC understand that and even the sellers usually tell you it has 580WAT so its enough even it can be weak on 12V rail(s) but I understand that.Its a IT jungle nowdays for normal consumers.
Have a look at this site,
http://www23.tomshardware.com/ ... p;model2=306&chart=93

It lets u compare 2 cards (of your choice) against each other in different games. So look up 2(or more) cards within your pricerange, then compare them against each other in different games.
Just make sure u buy from the cheapest shop as it can make a noticable difference.

With your A64 3500+ a X1300 should run LFS just fine..but dont expect to run any of the newest shooters with maximum graphical detail. (heck my Ati 9700pro ran S2 without a problem)

2nd option is to buy a 6600gt or similar 2nd hand, will be cheaper and u get better performance (just try and buy one which still has factory warranty in case something goes wrong)

edit : on the wattage..its all bullshit =). Buy a decent 400W PSU with 20A on the 12v line and it will run fine..buy a 600w PSU with 12A on your 12v line and your PC will do all kind of strange things when u stress it
@mrodgers

Please post us your budget you want to spend for the graphic card.Then its not problem to suggest you something good for that money.
#15 - Jakg
Quote from DEVIL 007 :What about all the temps...CPU,GPU`s,chipset?Everything looks fine?

I think you have 2x12V rails so put CPU and everything other on 1st one and the both GPU on second one.If you already running like this then I would put CPU+GPU on 1st one and 2nd GPU+everything other and the second one.Would be worth ty try it.

hmmm, might look into that...
Quote from the_angry_angel :[anger type="rant"]OH DEAR GOD WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN THE WATTAGE MEANS NOTHING?!?!111oneoneone. Even when its bolded?[/anger]

Despite your PSU being 580watts, its possible that you're over loading one of sets of rails, and thus the system is dying.

Alternatively you've got the potential for some heat there, if you're using the stock heatsink and cooler on that AMD64, consider an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (without the crap paste they give you).

Edit: Can we also assume you mean Hiper?

hmm.... i was under the impression it was good, bought one, but the 12 v rail was running at 11.5, s bought this Hiper (i cant even read anymore!) one and it was alot better
Well, glad this dug up alot of discussion here .

Quote from DEVIL 007 :@mrodgers

Please post us your budget you want to spend for the graphic card.Then its not problem to suggest you something good for that money.

As for that, there really is NO budget. It goes like this... I get a bit of cash left over from the paycheck, then one of the kids gets sick and has to go to the doctor's. Ok, next pay, nothing left. Next pay, hey, I've got a little money left again. Phone rings at work. "Honey!!! I need diapers, could you stop on your way home?" Ok, now what was the start of my gfx card now has Winnie the Pooh on the outside and soon to be just plain ole pooh on the inside, LOL. That's the way it goes.

So, eventually I may have $100 or less in the pocket and I find I can pick something up. Usually it's a part for the bike, but in the event that it's something for the PC, I'd like for it to help getting off the onboard. Even a $75 card would be better than onboard.

That link to Tom's Hardware is a nice one.

It's 3:00 PM, time to head home .

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG