The online racing simulator
Gigabit Router (optional: WiFi)
(31 posts, started )
Hey there guys!

My ISP announced a bandwith increment for August, which means it'll be mandatory for me to get a router with Gigabit WAN port. Can you suggest some routers with this hardware spec. with reasonable price tag? Thanks for your help in advance.
I'm pretty sure every cheap router nowadays has that. Is that the only thing you require?

Just to be clear: do you need a router or a modem? If you need a router for the Wi-Fi there are a lot of other variables to keep in mind.

Doesn't your ISP provide you with a router/modem? In that case they should send you a new one that does support over 100mbit through the ports.
Ah, I'm pretty sure I meant 1000Mbit and not 100 with that post. I don't think that's a basic feature with every router. I need a router, and my ISP doesn't provide it. I need it mainly for my PCs and not WiFi, as said it's only optional, guess it would make my life easier with laptops.

So summing it up, I need something that supports an 1000MBps connection, lasts a long time, household "compatible" and optionally has WiFi.
Woops sorry, meant to say 1000mbit/1gbit.

I haven't come across a router nowadays that doesn't support it. Maybe a weird idea, but you can also get a network switch if you don't NEED a router for Wi-Fi. That could save some money.

Anyway, a router like the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND is around 40 euro's over here, has 4 1000mbit ports and good Wi-Fi for its price.

So the alternative is a network switch. For 20 euro's you can get a 8 port switch so you can connect more PC's, and it's cheaper. It doesn't have Wi-Fi though. I think the TP-Link TL-SG1008D would nice then.
Wow, that's weird... I didn't even find an 1000MBps WAN port router on Hungarian sites with that price tag. Looking around yesterday I found this and this.

Are those 2 really worth that extra price compared to the one you suggested or it's just like throwing money out of the window?
The second link of yours is a waste for sure for you.

The first link is a different story. It costs alot more, but can also be faster. The thing you have to remind is that you also need phones and laptops that support the AC wireless protocol. Only very hardware supports that. Therefore it would be a waste of money because it wont reach the advertised speeds. Also keep in mind that you will never reach the 1300 or 450 mbps.

With an eye on wired speed you wont notice a difference ofcourse.

Also don't forget that you need UTP cables in home that support 1gbit.

If you need fast wireless and have hardware that supports the AC protocol, you could get the more expensive one. But for stable and just good Wi-Fi the one I posted will be good as well.
I think I'll go with the one you posted then, as WiFi is not that important for me to worth the fuss of 802.11ac, although it supports n protocol aswell, as I read, but it's not worth 3x the price then if the wired connection doesn't suffer speed loss and let's hope the ISP keeps its word to the 1GBps connection.
Thanks for the help Bose.
Quote from MandulAA :Using this one 3 years already, no problems and both the lan and wifi performance is very good and it's not that expensive: http://www.netgear.com/home/pr ... R3500L.aspx#tab-techspecs

I bought the TP-Link already, I'm facing some problems though.... The router doesn't seem to be able to connect to my PPPoE network, fails the authentication, but I gave the correct login details. What the heck?
Quote from Kristi :I bought the TP-Link already, I'm facing some problems though.... The router doesn't seem to be able to connect to my PPPoE network, fails the authentication, but I gave the correct login details. What the heck?

I have same problem with my huawei 520, I read somewhere that you need to ask your ISP about router compatibility because not every network brand are compatible.
btw anyone know who the best/reliable modem/router brand ?
Quote from lfsrm :I have same problem with my huawei 520, I read somewhere that you need to ask your ISP about router compatibility because not every network brand are compatible.
btw anyone know who the best/reliable modem/router brand ?

As far as I know, Netgear is one of the most reliable brand in networking - that's why I bought it. Cisco, TP-Link or even D-Link aren't bad, either.
Quote from MandulAA :As far as I know, Netgear is one of the most reliable brand in networking - that's why I bought it. Cisco, TP-Link or even D-Link aren't bad, either.

Nonsense. They're all great, but choosing Neatgear over Cisco is obviously wrong. Don't forget to add Asus on the list as well, they make wicked routers.

Regarding the problem, what's the setup like now? Is the router acting as modem as well so it's directly on the source of the internet in your home, or is there a modem from the ISP already or something?
My problems is already solved, so no need to break heads on that. It was just a wrong password written on the contract so I had to contact the ISP.
Ah that's great. Is it any good?
Quote from Bose321 :Nonsense. They're all great, but choosing Neatgear over Cisco is obviously wrong.

Heey hey hey. I didn't mean that way. Everybody knows (at least I hope) that Cisco is way better than Netgear, just not in price
Quote from Bose321 :Ah that's great. Is it any good?

Will see from 15 July, that's when the ISP plans to switch to 1000MBps connections. It bears the 100/50 fine though, but that's like not a challenge for it.
So you wanted a 1GB Router, as your ISP is upgrading you to 1GB connection to the internet.....You lucky bugger....we are not even over 100mb in the UK
Fordie
I doubt that... Most like just 100+ like 120, 150 or 180 or something.
Quote from Bose321 :I doubt that... Most like just 100+ like 120, 150 or 180 or something.

Still makes me jealous LOL
Fordie
Quote from Bose321 :I doubt that... Most like just 100+ like 120, 150 or 180 or something.

I'm already at 200/50 connection. It will be an upgrade to 1000/100Mbit coming in ~2 days.
Wow really? What do you pay for that?
15EUR a month.
Holy shit. How is that always possible in other countries?
What the... 11-12€/month for a 30/3 Mbit here!

(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG