The online racing simulator
LFS 6F - stuttering FPS
(19 posts, started )
LFS 6F - stuttering FPS
Since my post might drown in the main 6F thread, I figured that I'll post it here.

It's pretty much as it says in the title - ever since I got 6F my fps seems to keep stuttering. I haven't had this problem since I first got LFS at Patch X, and the split second stutter really affects my driving

Anyone else have this? I doubt it's anything to do with my specs since I was able to run LFS fine using that same machine.

Edit: I'm running Windows 8, and it appears that people running that have problems on the new version from what I've seen on the main thread.
Are you forcing any setting (AA, AF...) on your driver? Now that LFS uses DX9 some things behave diferent.
Quote from Whiskey :Are you forcing any setting (AA, AF...) on your driver? Now that LFS uses DX9 some things behave diferent.

Hmm, no I haven't got anything like that enabled.
Looking around the main thread, there's something with Windows 8 users with the new version. I run on Windows 8 myself but unlike some people I'm able to launch LFS, albeit with fps stuttering.
Yesterday I made some benchmarks on Windows XP and Windows 7. I run some of the tests on Windows 8.1 too, and I can tell average FPS is about 15% lower compared to Windows 7, which is huge difference to XP.

But infact while running FIRST TEST I noticed improvement when comparing 0.6E and 0.6F. On 0.6E I would get 145 FPS, while 0.6F gives me 163 FPS. On other end I noticed increase in CPU usage per FPS, 0.6E would get on average 29% CPU, while 0.6F get 37% CPU.

While running lfsbench I noticed decrease in FPS. That is because the need for CPU is increased and I am CPU bottlenecked in that case.
XP max 0.6F

2014-06-21 22:25:11 - LFS
Frames: 13696 - Time: 107891ms - [B]Avg: 126.942[/B] - Min: 74 - Max: 165

XP max 0.6E

2014-06-21 22:35:39 - LFS
Frames: 15832 - Time: 107828ms - [B]Avg: 146.826[/B] - Min: 96 - Max: 195

After running all tests I can tell that 0.6F uses less GPU per FPS, thats why some people notice improvement (GPU bottlenecked). On other end it use more CPU per FPS, thats why some people notice decrease in FPS (CPU bottlenecked).

I would like to see some of your results. You can find lfsbench here.
Start menu or Windows key + R, type Dxdiag, hit [enter]. Use one of the buttons below saying something like "store all information to file", save file. Attach file to one of your postings here.

(do not copy/paste)

Also disable Aero, virus scanners, widgets and all other kind of crap which could possibly interfere.

Quote from DANIEL-CRO :which is huge difference to XP.

Wasnt this the OS from the previous decade?? Hard to remember.

Quote from cargame.nl :Start menu or Windows key + R, type Dxdiag, hit [enter]. Use one of the buttons below saying something like "store all information to file", save file. Attach file to one of your postings here.

File's attached to this post.

Edit: As we speak, I'm trying to sort out the bench marking but fraps doesn't seem to be recognising my LFS. Though when running the replay, I've not noticed any stuttering though it might be due to the fact that the replay was recorded on 6B

Edit 2: Odd. LFS seems to have stopped stuttering now even though I haven't made any changes since creating this thread. Not sure how it fixed itself.
Attached files
DxDiag.txt - 66.5 KB - 271 views
You are using a laptop with a very low specced HD 4000, isn't it the case that AA (anti aliasing) now is switched to on by default @patch 6F?

Maybe by any chance the wrong power profile was selected, or turbo mode from the processor was/is not enabled.

The least thing you can do is update your drivers; https://downloadcenter.intel.c ... el%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4000

You are using drivers from 2012.
Quote from cargame.nl :You are using a laptop with a very low specced HD 4000...

For some reason that dxdiag shows just inbuilt graphics card - just out of curiousity,I tried that dxdiag too to see what can it show,it does not show the other gpu of my laptop. Might be his case too.
No the Inspiron 3721 wasn't/isn't configurable with a dedicated GPU option.

I wouldn't directly say its bad to run LFS on but you need to be extra careful with the settings you pick. It was meant as a relatively cheap sort of all-round laptop, not a gaming laptop.
http://www.techreviewsource.co ... iron-17-3721#.UU8SeBfFnVo

But the problem seem to come and go. I think its not related to LFS at all.

I don't know if the initial problem was ever solved, or if the integrated Intel graphics card was ever identified, but I do have advice.

Check for driver updates on the Intel driver support page. There is an option to scan hardware to check for compatible drivers.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

This solution worked for me, but I may have had a different problem. The strange this is, I was previously using the default Intel Graphics Family drivers that came with the laptop, but the driver utility recommended HD Graphics 3000 drivers.

Edit: I actually had FPS stutter problem before 6F, where the FPS would drop from 62 FPS down to 9-14 FPS at frequent irregular intervals, though I don't know what changed on my laptop to suddenly cause it.
Quote from cargame.nl :
Wasnt this the OS from the previous decade?? Hard to remember.

No, thats a next gen Windows. Basically after they left out of numbers, 7, 8, 8.1, 9, they started using letters.
Quote from legoflamb :where the FPS would drop from 62 FPS down to 9-14 FPS at frequent irregular intervals, though I don't know what changed on my laptop to suddenly cause it.

Overheating causes GPU and/or CPU throttling. The thing with laptops is that you need to clean the air vents and preferably the complete cooling part every few months.

From the inside... You never clean it properly from the outside with a vacuum cleaner on the air vents. Small example;
http://i.imgur.com/1ZgCyY6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BbZQFRE.jpg
I said small example, did I say my example? Anyway, I repaired thousands of laptops and quite often I came across similar looks. Or even worse; dead insects.

How about you, the way you are replying you sound not that experienced?
Sorry for interrupting,didn't knew this was high class experts only thread.
I just had 2 laptops,used each of them about a year long,none of them had anything more then light dust in it's cooling vents,which I could just blow out myself,that's why I was wondering about that little ants home in your examples. Then again,none of my laptops have been used anywhere else then my room or my car.
Quote from Eclipsed :didn't knew this was high class experts only thread.

You are not giving any advice, only replying to people who give advice. Quite pointless.
Quote from cargame.nl :Overheating causes GPU and/or CPU throttling.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to crack my laptop open and see what it looks like. I have never cleaned it since i got it.

Edit: Just cleaned it, found a furby in side... don't know if I'll notice a difference in performance, but its definitely quieter!
Quote from legoflamb :found a furby in side...

Hahaha

Quote from legoflamb : don't know if I'll notice a difference in performance, but its definitely quieter!

I suspected it to throttle, hopefully it doesn't do that anymore
@cargame

My laptop is definitely performing better when stressed compared to before. It was a mid range laptop when I got it, at least it is still performing at that mid range level as when I got it..

LFS 6F - stuttering FPS
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG