The online racing simulator
2014 Kyoto 500: Qualifying Information and Discussion
Hello racers !

It's time for qualifying for the greatest spectacle in LFS. The system is different that what's normal for LFS, and can be highly stressful. Here's the thread to discuss it.

General Information:
Pole Day: 21 June 2014 (Saturday) 18:00 - 24:00 UTC.
Bump Day: 22 June 2014 (Sunday) 18:00 - 24:00 UTC.

General Rules:
Drivers have a maximum of three attempts per day. Attempts are charged after the START of the first timed lap. Unused attempts do not carry over to the next day. Also, once you start the first timed lap of the new attempt, your previous standing time (if any) is deleted from the grid order permanently.

A qualifying attempt consists of two warmup laps, four flying timed laps, and one inlap. The four timed laps are averaged to get the qualifying time.

Tyre warming is prohibited as per the rules, but I do make small allotments. You are permitted a small burnout while exiting your garage, and may go full lock in turns on your first warmup lap. On Warmup 2, you MUST take the normal line, and do NO tyre warming on this lap (High lining is permitted). It has been suggested, however, that doing tyre warming is more detrimental than it is beneficial.

Pole Day:
Pole day is the only day that Pole Position may be taken. At the end of pole day, the fastest qualifier is locked in to P1 even if someone goes faster on Bump Day. Only P1 is locked in after this day.

Bump Day:
Bump Day is the day where the rest of the grid is sorted. Bumping referrs to "bumping" the 30th place car out of the field with a faster time. The person in 30th will be referred to as "On the Bubble". Once 30 cars have taken times, Bumping will begin. Bumping may begin on Pole Day.

Procedures
You will be required to request an attempt run via a text chat message, "@request" - the insim application will capture that and place you in queue. If you are in queue and wish to remove yourself, type "@remove". To view the first 10 in queue, use the command "@queue" - to view your specific position in queue, use "@qpos" - the queue will be listed at this page created by Dustin Dawes last year that you can look at any time you are not in-server (See this post for info on that page). Insim buttons at the top of the screen will indicate current session and run status, and the car currently on track, next in queue, and "staging". The current qualifying car is permitted to block messages while on his qualifying run ONLY.

You will enter the track immediately after pitwall ends. A layout will be in place to direct you there.

You must return to the pitlane without assistance after your qualifying attempt. As long as part or all of your car has crossed the speed limit start line, you have met this. Failure to do so will result in 0.01 seconds being added to your 4th lap time.

If the qualifying queue is empty, track will be opened for practice until such time another driver wishes to take an attempt.

You are permitted to be in TeamSpeak for chat during session, as well as the NDR IRC located as #ndr on irc.gamesurge.net.

I will be using a Google Spreadsheet to track times, linked below after I create it.

You must qualify during one of these two windows in order to be eligible to race in the 2014 Kyoto 500. You do not have to be in server during all 12 qualifying hours. You only need to be in long enough to request a run and do the run. You don't have to be in server while you're waiting in queue technically, but you need to be ready to go within 1 minute of your turn coming up.

You will be PMed the password for the server if you meet the entry requirements or are accepted by my judgement. This will be PMed to you Saturday morning.

To view the three following pa ... ive: This Google Doc Link

Qualifying Results

Forefeited Attempts and compar ... ing driver actually ended (Position comparison will be updated after the competion of each day)

Attempts Log
Please note the change from last year: your attempt is CHARGED at the start of the first timed lap - previously it was charged at L2S1. You will lose the previous attempt at the start of the timed laps as per normal. This change has been done in an attempt to stave off people who would queue to cram the queue and abort after the first timed lap - a big time waster and occasionally unsporting. Use your attempts wisely!
#3 - Kova.
Oh meh it's tonight I'll see if I can make it...
Don't worry,if you're not aiming for pole position,you can take your runs tomorrow too!
You need to just set a time on EITHER of the days...if you set a top 15 time on pole day, you're safe in the field and only stand to shuffle the grid order.
After 2h15m of Pole Day, 20 cars are qualified - the R2 era qualifying record has been broken by both Patrick Hall and Dan Sanger - both tied on a 36.9500 average - Hall set his first so he's the provisional polesitter at this time!

Track open for practice until 20:25 UTC
1h45m left in today's Pole Day - 21 cars with timed on the board - no aborted runs, 8 attempts were forfeited so far, no one has abandoned in the middle of an attempt yet.
Congratulations to Patrick "FalconBridge" Hall on winning the Pole position for the Seventh Annual Kyoto 500!

After Pole Day Qualifying; there are 24 drivers with times posted. Bumping will commence if and when we reach 30 qualifiers. Most should be safe, so the only runs Sunday should be to try to adjust your grid position.
Congratulations!

Also great job by Dan Sanger with a .93 lap
Congratulations Oval master! (no idea why i said that)

@the people behind: How the bloody hell are you slower than me ?
Oh and what is the slowest ever time ?
Quote from F1 mainiac :

Probably this years 37.17 average (yet who made it into the race before bumping so far)

Having in mind that we had 37.00's in previous years who didn't qualify to the race it is something new.
Quote from F1 mainiac :Congratulations Oval master! (no idea why i said that)

@the people behind: How the bloody hell are you slower than me ?

Slowest ever attempt: Elon Berisha (ElonB13) in 2011 with a 40.5075

Slowest time to qualify for the field: Rastislav Sisolak (Sisolak) 37.140 in 2008

Slowest Attempt on the grid timesheet: Steven Martin (steven_martin) 37.3500 in 2010

The slowest ever attempt was a withdrawn attempt. The slowest attempt on the grid time sheet was the last time a driver kept on their attempt. Here's the full list I've just compiled during advert breaks at work this am with who what when each year :P

Quote :2008:
Grid Slowest: P28 Rastislav Sisolak (Sisolak) 37.140
Attempt Slowest: Thilo Falkenberg (TFalke55) 37.440

2009:
Grid Slowest: P30: Matt Sutton (SmegFirk) 37.000 P44 Jack Sedgwick (JackDaMaster) 37.1650
Attempt Slowest: Thomas Vermeire (Willem-racer) 37.0875

2010:
Grid Slowest: P30 Matt Sutton (SmegFirk) 37.0200 P34 Steven Martin (steven_martin) 37.3500
Attempt Slowest: Steven Martin (steven_martin) 37.08

2011:
Grid Slowest: P30 Phil Diaz (PMD9409) 37.0275 P33 Alexis Georg (Kova.) 37.0725
Attempt Slowest: Elon Berisha (ElonB13) 40.5075

2012:
Grid Slowest: P30 Jack Atkinson (J@tko) 36.9950 P45 Branislav Goga (BranislavS) 37.3200
Attempt Slowest: Isaac Price (IsaacPrice) 38.69

2013:
Grid Slowest: P30 Tomáš Korený (Denny12) 37.0075 P36 Andreas Schroedter (SpielTrieb) 37.0475
Attempt Slowest: Jakob Laurberg (lamer) 37.1175

I wish to place on the record that the 2010 attempts in the previous post were done using a keyboard. So nerr.
LFS Calendar shows Bump Day to begin an hour earlier than it is supposed to (just noticed it).
Quote from Cornys :LFS Calendar shows Bump Day to begin an hour earlier than it is supposed to (just noticed it).

Yeah, I put those in before I knew I'd be full time starting today - so I wasn't going to be home by 17 UTC :P
Pre-session I stated I'd be elated to time under 37 seconds.. I pulled a 36.97 out of my butt and timed at 36.9950 avg I'm elated
Thanks to all who participated in qualifying! Not at all as dramatic as it has been in 2009-2013, but to have a full grid at the end of qualifying is promising. If you all show up, it means that every Kyoto 500 since then would have had a full grid taking the green flag. 2008 saw 19 cars at the start.
Finally internet decided to be down when I wanted to take my run. Meh.
Quote from TexasLTU :Probably this years 37.17 average (yet who made it into the race before bumping so far)

Yeah, Saturday wasn't my day. I was doing decent before turn 1 of my last lap, then I clipped the apron. Killed my run completely. I think the last lap time was 37.38 or something like that, it was crazy, I was so frustrated with myself at that point. Mostly because I threw a "passable" run (37.06) out the window and ended up running a 37.11 as my second run. I was more than confident that I could overcome that, but luck just wasn't with me, lol.

Luckily we had Sunday, managed to run a 37.035, as you can see on the results. It's still not the fastest I've managed, If memory serves the best average I've ever had was a 37-flat, it's a shame to me that I couldn't pull that out for qualifying. It would have only earned me 22nd, but it's still way better than what I ran. I'm at least in the race, so I have a chance to race my way into a better position, which I'm happy about.

Anyway, congratulations to Patrick, and the rest of the top-qualifiers, well deserved.
Best horses jump no higher than required

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG