The online racing simulator
Oculas-rift goodbye, thanks for the possibilities.
Welcome to the latest Farcebook acquisition, goodbye to open source possibilities.

Is Scrawen ready to pay the new licensing fees to be privileged to use their hardware ?, cus unless u pay, forget using the tech.
#2 - Woz
You can just see bloody status updates and friend requests being displayed is game lol

Sad news
They built something non-ordinary which seemed to work and attract a lot of people. Then they broke it. Great marketing!
Let's hope they paved the way for other such products. At least they showed the world there's a market for a working VR solution
Sad news yes, but so far they seem to deny anything about "new licensing fees" or becoming less open source. How much value such promises hold, no idea..
I too think it was a bad deal, but more because if they have to compromise the design or get pushed to too early release or something like that...
I'll still get the DK2, because it has been designed and engineered pre-facebook. Regarding software, I'm expecting someone to write open source drivers for the Rift after this. There's no way I'll be touching the official SDK any longer after this.

If you're worried about ads and tracking, then you well should be. 29:15

Palmer gone done f****d up for good this time, but I guess everone has their price, this time it was $2 billion.
Quote from Matrixi :If you're worried about ads and tracking, then you well should be. 29:15

As I understood that audio is about the virtual world/game/whatever-thing that facebook wants to build with the rift. And in this game there will be advertisement.

But that is just about the facebook-thing. For example your internet browser allows you to visit webpages with lots of advertisement but it does not mean all wegpages have advertisement. The advertisement is in the content not in the device that displays it.
Facebook didn't drop $2 bil just to help out OVR, they're going to try to get their moneys worth out of this one way or another.

They didn't need to buy out the company just to have their own games/apps for the device, there is something much more sinister still to come.
Bad news that there's a company backing it up with some money to spend.
Apart from advertising I don't see anywhere for Zuckerberg to get that money back. And he's NOT doing it for charity.

"They say..." doesn't cut it here, I'm afraid
From what I gather from reading the Oculus forums, the intention is for FB to have a central VR Portal with an app store, support, etc and plaster that with ads, being how they recoup their investment.

There is no intention to make this the exclusive content site (so you could still make a mod for a game, or run a game with native support without ever needing to visit the portal) and having it insert popup ads in existing games is just beyond retarded.

But yes, I agree it has completely killed the part of me that was excited to see it succeed because it was from an indie developer.
why so negative? think positive like Rui.

"lol imagine if they made farmville to work only with oculus rift" ~Rui Pinto
"Log on with FaceBook"

"Atle just watched 'Raunchy A**es 5' on his Zucker-o-Vision and gave it a rating of 5 stars"

...it's gonna be awesome... *sigh*
27 Responses from Palmer Lucky ... ot;The future of VR"

Important parts:
Quote :
I am sorry that you are disappointed. To be honest, if I were you, I would probably have a similar initial impression! There are a lot of reasons why this is a good thing, many of which are not yet public.
---
Facebook has a good track record for letting companies operate independently post-acquisition, and they are going to do the same for us. Trust me on this, I would not have done the deal otherwise.
---
We now have the resources to put a lot of money into indie VR content, you will be seeing some good news on that very soon.
---
A lot of people are upset, and I get that. If you feel the same way a year from now, I would be very surprised.
---
We have not gotten into all the details yet, but a lot of the news is coming. The key points:
1) We can make custom hardware, not rely on the scraps of the mobile phone industry. That is insanely expensive, think hundreds of millions of dollars. More news soon.
2) We can afford to hire everyone we need, the best people that fit into our culture of excellence in all aspects.
3) We can make huge investments in content. More news soon.
---
|You had our trust. Now you will have to regain it.
I understand that, and I am confident that I will.
---
I am not going to close off, I am 100% certain that most people will see why this is good in the long term.

We'll have to wait and see how it ends

In other news:
Razer May Be Working on their ... Device, According to CEO
Quote from atledreier :anywhere for Zuckerberg to get that money back.

It's not Zuckerberg demanding that. The stockholders demand that. Especially because 1.6 billion (more then 75%) has been paid with stocks, not with money.

Same happened with Whatsapp by the way; 12 billion with shares, not money. This is what happens: http://scharts.co/Qgk6py

I wonder if stockholders will be happy with the long term strategy of Facebook. It seems a little bit too much gambling with loads of stock value and no idea what the outcome will be. Seen that one before... Around the year 2000 to be exact, people never seem to learn.

So what happens to the initial investors money, the people that made it happen in the first place and got it noticed?

Fordie
Quote from Fordman :So what happens to the initial investors money, the people that made it happen in the first place and got it noticed?

Fordie

That money was used for the purpose those early investors intended. That's why Oculus is where it is today, for better or worse. Kickstarter isn't a shares or bonds selling scheme. You get whatever it is the agreement states that you get, for the money you pay, and that's where it ends.
Ok so, facebook is literally going to be on your face then?

I'm already picturing all the empty streets while everyone else is living their life virtually. Sweet.

Oh how I loathe the internets ability to overreact to literally everything.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :

Oh how i loathe the internets ability to overreact to literally everything.

That's the most ironic comment ever!!
At this point, I'm pretty sure Facebook could cure cancer, provide a cancer immunization and feed all of Africa and the internet would find a way to make it a bad thing.
It wasn't really the most ironic comment ever, I was over reacting.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :

Oh how I loathe the internets ability to overreact to literally everything.

From the OR Forums:

Quote :Imagine playing an awesome game, and then this awesome ad pops up for the new candy bar. You just gotta play a short game, by shooting the candy bars by look at them as they appear and shooting with the mouse. Then when you have hit 5 candy bars you win, and it links you to their website (which you can view in full 3d - the detail on that candy bar and text!).

You then simply have to give your mobile phone number and email address for a chance to win a $30,000 car. and then once you have signed up it exits and let's you continue before prompting you 6 minutes later with another advert based upon all of the previous adverts you have responded to. This one is an interactive coca cola advert.

Imagine the possibilities!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG