The online racing simulator
@tehman3d

He was a bit sarcastic about the electric bill I think. / did you mean not too noticeable electric bill change or what? if not, read morphas post..

anyways, why would anyone need more than 60fps? Unless using 120hz CRT..

And you couldn't run crysis 5 times.
Quote from TehPaws3D :I don't really understand what you're pointing at here, The electric bill here (As far as I know) Does not go up due to the computer/components.

Of course it does, just the incredible amount of heat energy a powerful gaming rig expels should tell you that. Take a look at the badge on your power supply unit, does it say 550 watts? 620? 700? or even 1000? If your rig's specs match the output of your PSU, it's reasonable to assume that it's using no less than a 3rd of the PSU rating in idle, not to mention the losses of the PSU itself (which even in a high end unit will range from 10 to 20% depending on load conditions).

I'm sitting here typing this while listening to music on headphones, got 2 of my 4 monitors turned on. In this constellation my rig is using 471w. I could do the same on my notebook and only use 17w with the built-in LCD, closer to 100w with one additional monitor.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :He was a bit sarcastic about the electric bill I think.

Computers definitely DO raise your electric bill. PSU's are more or less 80% efficient.

Me personally, I have two 130w gpu's running 100% 24/7, as well as an HDD and such idling most of the time. On my 650w psu, lets say I'm using about 400 watts, I'll be pulling 400 watts + about 20% lost energy the PSU uses to convert the power. Then add the monitors and you're running a pretty penny!
Check my edit, I read his post too fast to understand it right
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :@tehman3d

He was a bit sarcastic about the electric bill I think. / did you mean not too noticeable electric bill change or what? if not, read morphas post..

TehMan3D? WTF? Not even a man, Man, Get it straight.

I could really, If I turned all the graphical settings down to low, I might be able to, I don't really know but my computer from the technical side can do it easily.

I believe anything past 120 or maybe it was 60 FPS you cannot see buy, That would be like me telling you you are not old enough to drive in THIS lane in the road, Yet the other people have that lane :P

I have 4 22" monitors in the back like I stated before, So FPS is quite important to me.
You are quite pathetic, that I know. If a female, one damn dumb female..

You can't even see the difference between 60fps or 300fps, even your screen had hz enough to support such high fps as that.
people want their money to last long. so what might look like a waste of money now could end up being a waste of space in a few years. pc's are being used as media centers more and more these days so it's only logical that you would have it hooked up to a big screen/tv so you can watch your movies, TVOD and game.

some people would say spending over £100 on a game controller (steering wheel) is a waste of money. they would also say spending more than £20 on a set of headphones is also a waste of money. does this mean that it is a waste of money? nope. not one bit. you get what you pay for. if you buy cheap, you get cheap. simples.
yeah, but some people are constantly upgrading the computer even it is perfectly usable in every needs. Those people I'm talking about.
but that's the thing. what is "every day needs"? your every day needs differ from everyone elses. i bought the NVGTX470. did i need to? nope, i could have saved money and bought a GTX2xx series. the reason i went for the card i did was because DX11 is geing used in newer games and i want to get the best detail i can for my money. buying the card i did means i shouldn't have to change my graphics card for 2-4 years (depending on what new developments come out in that time).
this card is a monster. i can run every game i own on max settings (the way the developers wanted you to see the game) and the card just keeps pumping out the quallity.
so for me, buying the GTX470 was far from a waste of money. and it also helps reduce my heating bill lol.
same with my sound card. some people say that an onboard card does the same job. i say balls it does. yes you get sound from it but it is no where near as clear and crisp as having a seperate soundcard. the best £40 i ever spent. and i didn't even need a soundcard. again, a waste of money? not at all i say. as a DJ sound quallity is quite important to me. and as a bonus, the sound on my games are better than with onboard.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :yeah, but some people are constantly upgrading the computer even it is perfectly usable in every needs. Those people I'm talking about.

It's called a "hobby". I spend a lot more time working on my car than I need to... but I enjoy it. Whats the harm?

I haven't played a game in months, and I use my PC for surfing the internet and some light photoshopping. Does that make a Quad core / 8GB of RAM pointless? Very much so. Do I care? Not really.
Quote from Jakg :It's called a "hobby". I spend a lot more time working on my car than I need to... but I enjoy it. Whats the harm?

I haven't played a game in months, and I use my PC for surfing the internet and some light photoshopping. Does that make a Quad core / 8GB of RAM pointless? Very much so. Do I care? Not really.

word
-
(Bose321) DELETED by Bose321
I still don't get why people feel insecure when someone gets a system that's overkill for some form of work loads. If they got money and want to spend it on something, LET EM. Why does some lunatic on the internet try to bash a mans head in for buying a nuclear reactor is beyond logic. Example- me. I do heavy photoshop work, 3d rendering and among other things all at the same time and I got a system and did just that. I was still going to buy a new pc anyway regardless of work loads because I just love tinkering with things and like performance pc's......still don't see the point why people go haywire over some other dudes stuff. If you want something, get it. Love it to bits and don't give a flying F* of what the other guy thinks. I do envy the enthusiasts who have overkill systems.
-
(STF) DELETED by STF : meh
I rather have a system where i don't have to worry about new shit coming out tomorrow that's way better than what i have, leaving me to spend more money on upgrading. Given that, i shouldn't have to put another penny into my rig for another year or so unless i wanted to increase my already decent to me avg fps of 30-40 at 1600x1200 in most of today's games.
I bought a quadcore 3 years ago and it still runs perfectly, every game i've tried runs great on high settings, so i don't complain, it was a powerful machine when i bought it...but it was still twice cheaper than some of the machines i see here.
Now ppl complaining about shit they don't even have? Please post your LFS rig as the thread states and leave out the pissing contest over who's got the PC most suited to their needs...Christ, it's pathetic.

I used to enjoy this thread, reading about new rigs and what's available, new hardware and the diverse range of rigs. Keep thread going, here's my dedicated gaming PC:

CPU Intel e8400 3.0 GHz
RAM 4GB
GPU ZOTAC GTX 295 1792MB
Windows 7 x64
40" Samsung series 5 LCD 1920x1080
Custom cockpit frame w/ comfy '92 Corolla seat
Logitech G25 Wheel
Logitech Attack3 Joystick (for car handbrake/helicopter collective)
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (for flight joystick)
Logitech 2:1 speakers
Pics in signature
Quote from -NightFly- :I bought a quadcore 3 years ago
it was twice cheaper than some of the machines i see here.

Somebody doesn't buy computer just for Live For Speed. There is waaaay much more requiring games what they play..

Just for example, I play Flight Simulator X and for ultra high settings it requires at least i7/4GB/HD5890
Quote from 65D :Somebody doesn't buy computer just for Live For Speed. There is waaaay much more requiring games what they play..

Yes i did buy quadcore just to play lfs only, though it ran quite well on my previous 2 pc (pentium 4 and core 2 duo)
Quote from 65D :
ultra high settings it requires at least i7/4GB/HD5890

Ran quite well with my 9800gt, just tested it .

Overall i'm just jelaous, i was just complaining about prices on high-end machines.
OI! Enough of the flame war :bananadeaPeople who have high FPS, as I said earlier on my machine VSync is turned on and it limits it to 60fps ( 60 HZ refresh rate ) and when it gets more graphically intense, it just uses up the head room you have when Vsync was turned off. ( Previously mentioned 300fps )

BTW, Just because people might spend a reasonable amount of money on their PC's, you don't know what they use them for, I use mine for not only High performance Gaming, but also Video editing and rendering, 3D rendering and website creation, so I need a machine that can handle anything I can throw at it and be Reliable at the same time.

I don't want to sound like a whinging person but if you don't know what sort of machine is required to do the work that some people do, and what is involved, I would recommend a slight amount of hush, before another flame war breaks out.

Anyway, Rant over :P
:bananalla
Quote from -NightFly- :
Ran quite well with my 9800gt, just tested it .

Do you have AI 100%, Real Environment Xtreme OverDrive -addon, high resolution mesh / sceneries and you get decently 40 FPS ?

I know that it is impossible with that graphics card. Actually with those addons its best to have at least HD5970 to run it decently 40 fps... 9800GT is waaaay slower than it.
Hmmm.... with REX2 overdrive and Level-D 767 and cfg tweaks from Jesus diaz I get about 25-45 depending of the location. If I fly from KBOS (boston logan) to KLGA (laguardia) I get balanced fps from 20-35 but no higher. 9800gt can't sustain that high tex resolutions and FSX is very CPU intensive to say the least.

My specs atm.-

Core i7 860 @3.6
8gb g.skill ripjaws DDR3-1600 (tighter timings- 8-7-7-22)
1tb Samsung hd103sj and 500gb samsung hd502
Sapphire Radeon 5870 (oc-920/1250)
Logitech g25(use the pedals with glovepie script for rudders )
Logitech g15v2, Logitech g5v2
Saitek Proflight yoke with throttle quadrant.

FSX stuff:
FSX gold, Level-D 767, Captain sim 757 pro, PMDG 747+8 expansion, Wilco e jets v2 with mcfat repaints, carenado cessna grand caravan, POSKY 777, Rex 2 sp3 +overdrive, ground environmentX north america and europe. Will buy more add-ons soon.
Quote from 65D :Do you have AI 100%, Real Environment Xtreme OverDrive -addon, high resolution mesh / sceneries and you get decently 40 FPS ?

I know that it is impossible with that graphics card. Actually with those addons its best to have at least HD5970 to run it decently 40 fps... 9800GT is waaaay slower than it.

Now you say it i have no idea about you fancy addons and tbh i do not care, you just said it's impossible for me to play with my semi-old card and acient quadcore (only capable running for lfs) with ultra high settings, so i tested it, just like you said before...turned everything i could find to ultra high and it was decent, not sure about framerate though.

You made your point (with delays) and i made mine, Back on topic:

QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400, 2666 MHz (8 x 333)
Intel Dragontail Peak DP35DP (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
System Memory 4026 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (512 MB)
Audio Adapter SigmaTel STAC9271D @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller
C: (NTFS) 465.7 GB
Monitor 23" Benq G2320HDB
Who cares what people own, if they are happy leave them be. You could argue a ferrari is a waste of money when a smart car does the same job but it isn't the same.

Quote from dadge :this card is a monster. i can run every game i own on max settings (the way the developers wanted you to see the game) and the card just keeps pumping out the quallity.
so for me, buying the GTX470 was far from a waste of money. and it also helps reduce my heating bill lol.

Quoted for the doube truth - the card runs games so well and running for me in mid 60's C then soon heats up room.
Quote from anik360 :
My specs atm.-

Core i7 860 @3.6
8gb g.skill ripjaws DDR3-1600 (tighter timings- 8-7-7-22)
1tb Samsung hd103sj and 500gb samsung hd502
Sapphire Radeon 5870 (oc-920/1250)
Logitech g25(use the pedals with glovepie script for rudders )
Logitech g15v2, Logitech g5v2
Saitek Proflight yoke with throttle quadrant.

FSX stuff:
FSX gold, Level-D 767, Captain sim 757 pro, PMDG 747+8 expansion, Wilco e jets v2 with mcfat repaints, carenado cessna grand caravan, POSKY 777, Rex 2 sp3 +overdrive, ground environmentX north america and europe. Will buy more add-ons soon.

I would like to have that package what you have, you should consider maybe HD 59xx graphics card, but even that is way enough.

Quote from 65D :I would like to have that package what you have, you should consider maybe HD 59xx graphics card, but even that is way enough.

you really have a liking for the 5970 don't you? haha. A single 5870 or gtx 480/470 is usually enough for most people

Post your "LFS" rig..
(3080 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG