The online racing simulator
Upgrading Help?
(10 posts, started )
Upgrading Help?
I'm planning on upgrading from XP to 7 but don't want to spend the £100+ from PC world etc. So just wondering if a OEM version will be okay?? Link below.

Windows 7 Version
As far as I understand,OEM licences are illegal to resell - they are only for PC manufacturers/sellers,so they can make/sell PCs with already installed OS and not just blank hardware. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote from Eclipsed :As far as I understand,OEM licences are illegal to resell - they are only for PC manufacturers/sellers,so they can make/sell PCs with already installed OS and not just blank hardware. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know hence why i'm asking here....
#4 - troy
I doubt they're illegal to resell, my local webshop is selling OEM Win7 too and it's one of the major online sellers in switzerland.
#5 - robt
That disc is the type that businesses get bundled with new PC's and isn't really for resale. Though there is an OEM version you can buy, but the disc does not look like that. Probably more around the £70 mark.
We used to throw out hundreds of those discs every week at my old job (Big Investment bank in London) as we couldn't sell them on and had our own build of windows 7 to use. Looks like someones been helping "recycle" the disks and making a quick buck in the meantime.

EDIT: read the bit at the bottom of the item about microsoft and ebay policies. Says he shouldnt be selling it in both unless the pc comes with it. Probably hoping nobody notices!
Even still windows 8 isnt bad. You can still use desktop even if you dont like the metro feel
http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-Y ... /10000000004661436/g.html

"Although most software publishers use the term “OEM” to identify their software as OEM, some use other terms, such as “system builder.” These terms all mean the same thing – the software is OEM software and cannot be re-distributed without the authorized hardware."

Don't let people fool you with false information.
Whether it is legal to resell OEM software depends on the laws of the country/region you live in. For example - according to a European Court of Justice ruling - it is legal to resell used software in EU (http://www.zdnet.com/oracle-ca ... are-in-europe-7000000189/). Whether this applies to OEM as well is probably a question for another lawsuit though...
#10 - Jakg
Quote from Foilpact :
ID be tempted just to get the Win 8 Pro upgrade edition for £25 and use the downgrade license to exchange it for Win 7 Pro for free.

I don't think any end-user version of Windows 8 includes the downgrade license - only a subset of PC's sold with Windows 8 Pro include the Windows 7 Downgrade, and it's not mentioned in any of Microsofts public or retail material.

Upgrading Help?
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG