The online racing simulator
(13 posts, started )
IMHO, LFS has script kiddies busy inflating their epenis with 'gee I'm clever' crap. DOS attacks or whatever.

Here's three suggestions,

1: Rather than closing threads there's an effort made to find out how their doing it and the program is updated to stop it.

2: LFS actually bans permanently any user proven to do this, if they want to keep this up then they need to keep buying new licences, at least this way the devs keep getting some funding for their retarded behaviour.

3: We, the users get their IP, location, physical address and arrange take appropriate action, preferably with a nail studded club.

Ideas ?

Prob in a different thread as I expect this one to be closed
How can LFS be updated to prevent 3rd party servers to be DDoSed?
to be fair this is his most thought out argument.
No.3 but use a fist. Nail studded club doesn't give them a chance.
Basically,

The only way to possibility stop an DDOS attack is to have an big enough firewall to prevent the incomming attacks. But still, it wont stop it.

Most people that actually DDOS dosnt use a program. Wich would be retareded since they would use their home internet or proxy..

Some of the populated server trying to keep above 100 mb internet to make sure if there is an ddos attack, it wont hit it that badly.

Busting someone that is ddosing need alot of proofs.. First of all they have to find the IP where the attacks is coming from, then trace them to wherever they are, and etc.. It's not that easy as you think...

There is really no way to stop an ddos attack to hit any servers. There is alot of booters out there that could do easily 1gb attack or higher, wich would easily take down the LFS Master Servers..

Only way to get ride of an ddoser is to let them keep doing it until they get tired of it.

Keep making post about it just encourage them to keep doing it more. So first step, IGNORE it. Second step, keep figthing.

And banning them wont stop making them ddosing. trust me
Nice first post. My best guess is you have some experience with this.
Quote from Bmxtwins :Nice first post. My best guess is you have some experience with this.

It's not a rocket science, even childs can do this..
be careful what you say about children. Chriship might take that personally.
@whateveryes: First of all, many people don't understand what DDoS is. Unfortunately, including you.

DDoS = Distributed Denial of Service (attack)

Initially the way it 'works' is to flood a service with so many requests, so it cannot process it and starts dropping/denying most requests, basically making it useless to end user.

DDoS is *not* simple flood attack!
While it may generate extra network traffic, DDoS attack is *not* just a TCP flood attack.
It relies on server holding service to be overflooded, not network itself.

Firewalls will *not* help you at all with DDoS.
DDoS attacks are exactly that - *distributed* attacks, which means you receive attack from several (thousands) of sources.
There are no rules possible in firewall to prevent that.

What can help you are IPS systems, which can detect anomaly in TCP traffic, and block those attacks.

With DDoS you will *not* be able to easily detect source - as source is hundreds/thousands of IP adresses.

What most people see in many cases here is not DDoS, but simple DoS attack, originating from one IP address.. who tries to do.. something stupid.
I find it funny how you say "Including you"..

okey, if you say so.. I dont mind
Quote from Flame CZE :How can LFS be updated to prevent 3rd party servers to be DDoSed?

An idea i have of this is that the lfs master is reprogrammed so that to get the list of servers the master server will ping all of the available servers that are online and then relay that list via the master list back to the user so that whenever you are refreshing the master list the only ip you will retrieve will be the ip of the master server.

i dont know if this is possible but it's just an idea.

Also if you are experiencing trouble with DDOS or DOS attacks you can easily log it for a cheap price using a program such as CommView and also switch to a company which will help provide decent DDOS / DOS protection my recommendation in which most cruise servers use is http://ovh.co.uk they offer free DDOS protection of upto 450gb/s using something they call VAC (Vacuum), this has really helped us filter out alot of attacks we have received on our servers.

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG