The online racing simulator
Unrestricted Track Venues & A Configuration Editor
I know this has been brought up in the past on RSC and may be been here as well but I think my ideas may differ enough to warrant a new thread. If I am wrong close it.

Since using LFS S2 Alpha I have come to love all the new circuits, but also notice that there could be a few more interesting circuits built using different parts of the tracks. There was a similar idea back during the S1 days, which while not resulting in a tool to define our own circuit configurations, did I believe result in the creation of the South City Town configuration. Most of the current racing venues have enough unique track segments to allow for at least one additional configuration of a Sprint (No Pit) or Traditional (Pit Access) configuration, with the possible exception of Westhill & Blackwood, some perhaps a new Rally-Cross configuration, while a track like Aston has room for several.

While we could just encourage Scawen, Eric and Victor to build these additional configurations it might be less work to instead just have the configurations user definable through a tool some what like the current Autocross editor. I have two ideas on how this could work. Both ideas would require the entire racing surface of each venue to be accessible.

One way to do this would be to use a tool like the Autocross editor to place objects, both visible and invisible on the racing surfaces. The visible objects allow the racers to see the configuration by blocking of the sections that are not part of the circuit and the invisible to define the circuit to the simulation. The visible objects are the same as those in the autocross editor, while the invisible ones would consists of things like pit designation, start/finish line, split time gate, etc.

The other possible way to implement this would be less work for the racers but maybe more difficult to develop. They could break up each racing venue in to predefined track segments, which the racers could select using a new interface to define a configuration, with back end rules to define what is a valid or invalid configuration. While this would lead to less flexibility, it would be easier to control and monitor, as well as be more user friendly to the racers.

I am sure there are also people that have a desire to have unrestricted access to a racing venue for open practice of specific corners, or for different types of entertainment just as the some times popular LFS stand by “Cops & Robbers” or a new format such as “Follow the Leader” where the driver in the lead picks and chooses the course as they go and the trailing drivers must attempt to follow this ever changing course.

As an example one configuration I think would be a great addition is at the Aston venue. Starting at the Cadet starting line and pit lane section, it would follow the Aston GP course until it reached the chicane before the main Pit on the front straight. Instead it would continue straight ahead on to the back section of Club and re-enter the front straight past the overpass, making a right turn on to the straight, through the sweeper and back to the start/finish line. This would be a very interesting configuration offering several fast, medium and slow sections, be the longest configuration yet and place the pits in a slow section instead of at the start of the straight.

I think adding in a system like this might help to keep people interested longer once S2 is released while we patiently wait for the next phase of LFS development, whether that is the rumored Rally Pack or S3.
We know LFS cant handle multiple routes, so the open configuration is out of the question, unless it can be made to work like the autocross editor.

But there are plenty of configurations as is, perhaps they will be released with S3 to bring some life into the old tracks.
first of all ... i like the idea a lot

Quote from XCNuse :http://forum.rscnet.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=168153 (my picture i did from S1)

very bad idea imho ... the most interesting set of corners on bl would be gone ...

Quote from Bob Smith :We know LFS cant handle multiple routes, so the open configuration is out of the question, unless it can be made to work like the autocross editor.

well the autocross editor alread works well on the race tracks so i guess it cant be that much codework to make the idea work
back at rsc i allready suggested to add starting grids an pitting areas to the ac-editor (mainly to improve banger racing)
andy maybe we could even finally use some parts of the tracks that havent been used before ... like the mini oval at fern bay ...

and a totally open config would be nice for learning the tracks ... funrides ... teh carl videos ... *hides* and drifting
Quote from Shotglass :very bad idea imho ... the most interesting set of corners on bl would be gone ...

nahhh.. it just allows .. some differences.. i mean.. after a while, going through that chicane gets a tad old after .. what? 5 years or so lol
Quote from XCNuse :nahhh.. it just allows .. some differences.. i mean.. after a while, going through that chicane gets a tad old after .. what? 5 years or so lol

of course it does but for me bl has 2 interesting corners (ie the ones i mess up all the time even in the slowest cars) and those would be the chicane exit and the uphill left in sector 3 ...
and you could allways add in a few ramps to jump the barriers that block the straight line through the chicane

i might add that im a big fan of combinations where the ideal line for the combo is very diffent from the ideal line of the individual cornerns ...
#7 - Gunn
Adding objects = lag. If there ever is a track editor it would perhaps need to use splines rather than many small objects. Various objects also need to be made immovable, non-interactive.
I'd rather let Eric decide how his tracks will be configured despite having my own fantasy configs in mind. If the community ever has the opportunity to develop track areas for LFS I hope they put the same effort and thought into their creations as Eric has.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG