The online racing simulator
Best card for Pentium G2020?
(7 posts, started )
Hello,

Pentium's integrated HD Graphics is definitely not suitable for gaming, so I'm looking for something better, for up to about $180. I'm thinking about getting an Asus HD7790-DC2OC-1GD5, is it worth the money? Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V
RAM: Kingston DDR3 4 GB 1600 MHz, will get one more later.
Case: C-TECH Flamingo
PSU: 350 W (should be enough with this CPU).

My target is to run Dirt 3 at medium settings.
HD7770 will probably do since you're going to be CPU-limited anyway. You'll need a PSU with at least 18 A on the +12 V rail for that card...
HD7790 was recommeded for my machine at this thread at forum.zive.cz (you know Czech).

It needs 150 Watts and my PSU's output is up to 20 A at 5 V and up to 17 A at 12 V. Where did you get that I need 18 A?
I use PSU Calculator to estimate the needed PSU power. The lite version gives only overall wattage (=sum of wattages on all rails) which is unfortunately quite useless. It won't help even if you had a 2000W PSU if all the power was on the 3.3 V and 5 V rails. Graphic cards, CPUs and mechanical drives motors feed off 12 V rails. PSU Calculator recommends at least 17.3 A on the 12 V, but it doesn't have G2020 in the database so I had to use i3-3210 instead. G2020 will probably use a bit less power, but I'm afraid you'll probably push your PSU to the limits anyway. If I use the same specs but with HD7790 instead, 12 V demands jump to 18.6 A. You also have to consider that the PSU's capacitors will degrade over time which will lower the PSU's power even more.

If you had a decent PSU and an i5, I'd say go for 7790 but with the hardware setup it just might not be worth it. I found a bunch of tests which show the difference between 7770 ad 7790, but notice that the tests were run on a highly overclocked i7-960. (http://www.purepc.pl/karty_gra ... d_7770_i_hd_7850?page=0,2)
#5 - Mysho
Don't kill me for this little off topic - it's just so funny how people from same country solve their problems in foreign language here on lfsforum.
Quote from Mysho :Don't kill me for this little off topic - it's just so funny how people from same country solve their problems in foreign language here on lfsforum.

Because it's related to LFS and because I want to be sure that I won't buy a bad card. And, of course, because I didn't expect my question to get answer only from a Czech guy :-D
--------------------------------
I'll probably buy a new, more powerful PSU - SEASONIC S12II-520W.

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG