The online racing simulator
RedBull sign up Beitske Visser
(21 posts, started )
I'm not against a woman getting into F1 so long as they get there because they are one of the 24 best drivers in the world, not because they are a woman in motorsport which is sadly the way people like Alice Powell are going about it. Seen her in karting, she is for sure a very big talent - but it will be interesting to see how she develops over time as it's usually the trend with some drivers that they tail off once they get their big break.

Congratulations on the prophecy oh master :P
proud to be dutch
Quote from vipex123 :I'm not against a woman getting into F1 so long as they get there because they are one of the 24 best drivers in the world, not because they are a woman in motorsport which is sadly the way people like Alice Powell are going about it. Seen her in karting, she is for sure a very big talent - but it will be interesting to see how she develops over time as it's usually the trend with some drivers that they tail off once they get their big break.

Congratulations on the prophecy oh master :P

I think she's good enough to be signed. She's certainly the fastest female kart racer since Lotta Helberg. She led the KZ1 World Cup against the world's best karters, in 2011, so this is not a pure PR exercise, like others I can mention. The fact she competed on a level with drivers I respect more than 90% of the F1 grid means to me she has it. Don't forget she won a Formula ADAC race the day after she broke her back, despite not knowing it at the time

Who knows, only time will tell. but that's true for any signing.

btw f1 will never be the best 24 drivers in the world. Never has been, never will be.
Quote from Intrepid :I know, you've got Nyck de Vries and Max Verstappen as well!

a lot of racing talent coming up
Quote from Intrepid :

btw f1 will never be the best 24 drivers in the world. Never has been, never will be.

Turn of phrase, Sorry.

I am pretty confident in her to reach high single seater categories but I will believe it when I see it that she's as quick in cars consistently as she is in Karts. Red Bull does seem to have a nice amount of drivers to funnel into F1 in the next coming years with Da Costa, Kyvat, Blomqvist etc.
Would be interesting to follow how those drivers evolves this year in the different formulae championship.
Half the drivers in f1 are there because of sponsorship/backing. It's only a matter of time before a team takes advantage of the publicity a girl on the grid will bring and it would not surprise me at all if this girl is in a Torro Rosso within 5 years, even if she never wins a title on the way. There will always be great drivers that do not get drives because others have the backing.
Quote from sinbad :Half the drivers in f1 are there because of sponsorship/backing. It's only a matter of time before a team takes advantage of the publicity a girl on the grid will bring and it would not surprise me at all if this girl is in a Torro Rosso within 5 years, even if she never wins a title on the way. There will always be great drivers that do not get drives because others have the backing.

She's decent sinbad. She's not purely a PR exercise. Winning a championship, well who knows, but She did things in KZ1 other male drivers (who are now considered 'talent based' drivers) could only dream of.
Quote from Intrepid :She's decent sinbad. She's not purely a PR exercise. She did things in KZ1 other male drivers (who are considered 'talent based' drivers) could only dream of.

Yeah reading my post again it looks a bit like I'm complaining that she's only there because she's a girl. I guess what I mean is that there should be no shame in her taking advantage of the publicity that she might generate- it's no different from an F1 team wanting to sign a driver because he comes from a rich country with lots of eager wealthy sponsors. It's the business, good luck to her.
It makes no sense to think that she would only deserve an F1 drive if she's better than all the boys. The boys that do get the F1 drives are very rarely the best of the boys.
Quote from sinbad :Yeah reading my post again it looks a bit like I'm complaining that she's only there because she's a girl. I guess what I mean is that there should be no shame in her taking advantage of the publicity that she might generate- it's no different from an F1 team wanting to sign a driver because he comes from a rich country with lots of eager wealthy sponsors. It's the business, good luck to her.
It makes no sense to think that she would only deserve an F1 drive if she's better than all the boys. The boys that do get the F1 drives are very rarely the best of the boys.

Ahhh I get ya.

Actually, having followed her career since around 2009/2010, I don't really think she's 'taken' advantage of being female all that much, hence why I rate her higher than others and recognise she's a bit 'different'. Though no doubt a lot of pressure will be thrust upon her now to take advantage. I think that's where the risk of burnout comes in. They might need to rush her through because the hawks will start circling.

Certainly there are lesser female drivers in lower categories that have taken advantage, but something like karting is very unforgiving, and she was competing at the front of KZ1 with the best. Dino Chiesa (the guy who deals with all of McLaren's protege's in karting) said she definitely has enough raw talent. He went on to say she'd have an easier time in cars than KZ1. but then again you are going from racing paid professionals to racing mostly rich kid amateurs.

She was a bit like Bianchi funnily enough. Was always there or thereabouts, but never quite had the experience to win a major title. Maybe if she continued karting for several more year it would have been different, who knows? And if you want to know how competitive that is just check how well Jaime Algeursauri (and Schumacher.. well he won't race he hasn't got the pace) are doing at the moment in that category.

But karting talk aside, I hope she makes it, if nothing else because she's a bloody good driver to watch. Aggressive... just the way I like em
It's pretty tough for women to get into F1, it's still very much an old boys club - that and that fact that so many people will say she's only there because she's a woman. The only way for a woman to get to F1 is by being genuinely bloody brilliant, and if she doesnt regularly beat her team mate then she isn't going to last.

One day however, we'll be having this discussion over a female driver on the F1 periphery who is neither blonde nor fake-blonde. But I fear we are still a long way off that! Or even less likely: an UGLY woman driver.

(Yes I know Danica Patrick is brunette, I was semi-kidding).
I was happy for her. Then I saw her birthday, and now I'm just sad for myself. I've got over 7 years on her and I'm sitting in an office without a race car in sight. Sigh... I feel so old.
Quote from MAGGOT :I was happy for her. Then I saw her birthday, and now I'm just sad for myself. I've got over 7 years on her and I'm sitting in an office without a race car in sight. Sigh... I feel so old.

eventually you will die without touching a single racecar...
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :eventually you will die without touching a single racecar...

Oh I've touched many. Just never driven one. =/
Quote from MAGGOT :Oh I've touched many. Just never driven one. =/

I don't want to know about your intimate moments with racecars.
Quote from Becky Rose :It's pretty tough for women to get into F1, it's still very much an old boys club - that and that fact that so many people will say she's only there because she's a woman. The only way for a woman to get to F1 is by being genuinely bloody brilliant, and if she doesnt regularly beat her team mate then she isn't going to last.

One day however, we'll be having this discussion over a female driver on the F1 periphery who is neither blonde nor fake-blonde. But I fear we are still a long way off that! Or even less likely: an UGLY woman driver.

(Yes I know Danica Patrick is brunette, I was semi-kidding).

Qualifying Winter Cup 2011

1. BEITSKE VISSER
2. JOHANSSON JOEL
3. DE VRIES NYCK
4. KOZLINSKI ARNAUD
5. ABBASSE ANTHONY
6. FEDERER FABIAN
etc....

She could have easily won that weekend, and she outpaced de vries all weekend... who was at the time, and still is the next big superstar at McLaren F1.

Certainly being a lass will help her, but she's the real deal. Admittedly she is at that age where it can go either way. There does seem to be a common theme with girl drivers, and this is purely anecdotal, where they start to lose interest or veer off. I think it's more to do with a numbers thing, as many lad drivers do exactly the same.

But on PURE performance and speed and aggression she has enough in my opinion. No less than half the f1 grid. if I were RedBull, to counter the extra attention she'll now recieve and thus the pressure that comes with that, I'd make sure everything is done so she gets decent results.
If they'll really going to kick Mark Webber out of Red Bull, it would be a mad but bloody awesome thing to put her into his seat
Quote from ATHome :If they'll really going to kick Mark Webber out of Red Bull, it would be a mad but bloody awesome thing to put her into his seat

Webber will be long retired before she even gets a look at F1.

(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG