The online racing simulator
DFP gearflap problems
(16 posts, started )
DFP gearflap problems
Today as I was racing I noticed my DFP gear flaps have started acting strangely. Sometimes when I downshift once the wheel actually downshifts twice.. or even three times. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

I have actually noticed this happening once or twice a month for the past half a year, until now I've been thinking that I've accidentally pressed the gearflap twice myself, but seems like that's not the issue. This also has happened while upshifting but is not half as common to happen as when downshifting.

It's really annoying as you're approaching a hairpin and you mean to drop gears from 4th -> 3rd and you actually go in to 2nd gear (or even 1st!) and the engine goes all popcorn. :banghead:

So damn frustrating, this problem ruined couple fine races today.
I'm having the same problem for some time now. I'm too lazy to send the wheel back to Logitech, so I'm waiting for the G25 and use the shifter on the right.
I would return mine to Logitech, but I've bolted the pedals to the floor so now they have two holes in them, and guarantee has propably expired.

This will be one LONG wait for the G25. :mad:
Toni, just call Logitech.. Say about the problem with gear flaps and then mention that your pedals are having a serious problem.. You will have to colorize a bit.. But that's how the deal is. 10-15 minutes of talking made Logitech send to me brand new DFP revB(took 1-2 weeks), all I had to do is - send usb and pedals cables back to them(After I have received a new wheel ofcourse).
Since you have already destroyed your warranty you and as the button is more or less useless now you could as well open the wheel and solder in a new button. Because I don't own a DFP I'm not really sure about the kind of buttons used inside of it, but usually they are all the same in any kind of input devices. You normally have the same ones in mice too. They look like the one I attached as an image. You can buy these buttons in any electronics-store.

Just one thing you have to take care about:

The height of these buttons is not always exactly the same. So before you buy a new one you should solder out the old one and take it with you for comparison. Even very little differences in height could lead to the button being pressed all the time or being pressed too easily so that every little pressure to the wheel housing could trigger it.

If the difference is really very little you can use some fine sandpaper (is this the correct word??? ) to take away a bit of the button.

All of this is only possible if the wheel of the DFP can be opened of course - dunno about that.

*EDIT* OK - if the suggestion of kamkorPL is possible I'd advise you to do so too...
Attached images
700460_BB_00_FB.EPS.gif
Thanks for the advices. I'll call Logitech next monday and see if they will co-operate. If not, I'll see if I can fix the buttons myself.
Well, I just called the finnish support number and after waiting in queue for a bit under 10 mins I guess my call got transferred to Logitech Russia.

So, someone called Ivan answered and I explained the problem to him. He only seemed interested in the pedal failure I have (spiky inputs) and didn't even care about the shifter flap issue. So after I told him the problems he told me to return the wheel to the store I bought it from (which I can't do since the drilled holes in the pedals) and told me to call them back if the store doesn't co-operate.

Now I'm wondering what the hell will I do. Will I take my chances and try to return the wheel to the store or should I try to call the finnish support number again hoping they won't connect me to Logitech Russia this time?
how about waiting a day and telling the support guys the store wont take it back ?
If you say the right things, Logitech support is very good (At giving free stuff ). First time I contacted them (UK office) they told me same as you - return to store. Not possible because I'd purchased it from an online store that had since gone out of business. I phoned them again following day, was routed through to the US office, explained to the guy it doesn't work, and that i've ran through all the config options on GT4 (PS2 wheel after all), and tried it on a friends PS2 and the pedals still don't work, and he got one sent same day - turned up by UPS 2 days later.

A few weeks ago that one got calibration issues, so I phoned them, got routed through to their office in maybe India, explained it didn't go in a straight line and the pedals are broke (they still worked fine, but this is the most common support issue so thought I'd mention it), and I got a whole new unit the following week.

So my point is, keep trying It is in the support rep's power to send you a whole new unit as long as you say the right things. And have the product number handy (its on the base of the wheel). It has a 2yr warranty, may as well use it
Allrighty, I will drop them another call tomorrow.
Just called them, they are sending me a new wheel. :woohoo:
And they don't even want you to send in the old one? Wow, if that's the case, I hope ppl won't start claiming they have issues and sell DFPs for some xtra cash ... And thus make Logitech change their warranty policies.
They asked me to send the USB and pedal connectors to them after I receive the new wheel of course.
like cutting them off or what does that exactly mean ?
Yup, cutting them and sending them to logitech in a letter.
hm thats a pretty weird way of doing it ... and it leaves you with a fully functional wheel that needs a little bit of soldering

DFP gearflap problems
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG