The online racing simulator
Intel HD Graphics Bug / System Hang
Depending on how this thread turns out, it might be a bug with LFS it's self, or it might be a bug with the Intel drivers. This thread will be used to find out what's what.

The issue was first found within the patch thread for 0.6B12. As stated I am using the Intel HD Graphics 4000 within the Intel Core i7-3770k. Using the drivers from 9/17/2012 (9.17.10.2068), and the drivers from 10/17/2012 (9.17.10.2075) I get a system hang while playing LFS. This only happens while I'm playing LFS. The problem started during the testing for the current stable release, but because of Patch Tuesday including graphics drivers for my system I updated that, and once the system started crashing I assumed that it was due to a bug in the graphics drivers. It seems that after this update, that the problem may well be with LFS.

Quote from Scawen :Anyway, is it only when you run LFS?

The crash only happens when I'm running LFS, but I can't think of any DX8.1 games to test with. If you have a recommendation, I'll give it a go.

Quote from Scawen :Have you tried any other similar programs?

I've used Star Trek Online in DX9 and DX11 mode, and have not had a crash even after a significant amount of time has passed.

Quote from Scawen :Is that with LFS in full screen or windowed?

The system crash only happens while in full screen mode, I can not reproduce the crash in Windowed Mode (yet).

Quote from Scawen :Does it happen immediately or after some time?

Sometimes it happens after 10 minutes, sometimes it's when I join the race.

Quote from Scawen :Is there any action you can perform to reproduce the hang reliably?

But it seems to be centered around when a client joins the track, myself or someone else.

---

What I'm trying to find out, if this is a driver bug, or a engine bug. If anyone has the HD 4000 and can try to reproduce this bug on their system using the latest stable version of the graphics drivers, then we can start nailing this down. Also, if anyone can reproduce this bug without using the Intel HD 4000 on their system that would mean it's not a graphics bug. So, has anyone else had this problem?

---

I've had this bug happen 3 times in the past hour, all on Cargame's S2 server, so if he happens to have the reply file, you might be able to detect what is going on there.

---

There was something else that I've noticed while I was investigating this bug. I joined Cargame's S2 server just before the lights went out to start a race, but for me, it showed the the lights were already green even tho clearly the race had not started yet because some clients were revving their engines like you do at the start of a race. Then then set off a few seconds after. When the pole sitter / leader crossed the start finish line the number of laps for my client showed 2 / 6, even tho clearly this was the start of the race and it should of been 1 / 6. They moved down to turn one, and I think a client might of joined at this point and that's where my computer crashed. I have a screen shot attached to show this crash and the other crashes I've had. Hopefully with the replay files from Cargame's server, and my details and screen shots you can nail this one down.

---

Click the images below to get a larger view.

Laps Out of Sync (Joined During Start of Race Sequence)

Client Joins Spectators

Save Setup Crash
Just happened again as I was going to join Cargame's S2 server. This time, I was not in the server for more then 10 seconds and the whole system crashed. Now that this has happened 4 times, I really hope we have enough data to find out the cause.

I'm downgrading to Intel HD Graphics Drivers 8.15.10.2712, Found in the VGA section of my motherboar's drivers section. These are the drivers where LFS was stable, so if we still have the problems with LFS, then it must not be a driver issue, but an LFS issue. I'll report back and we'll see how it goes!
With the version from the ASUS website, my system does not hang, but I also downloaded the E patch for the client, so I'll upgrade back to the newest version and see if it's that or the drivers.
My money is on the Intel driver, it's very unlikely that an application would cause a total freeze on Windows with an NT kernel.
And you are correct sir! After upgrading back to the latest version of the driver, the system freezes right away once I got into a server. So it is indeed a problem with the drivers.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG