The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :I changed the message colours faster than you wrote that post!

They look good now I think. You'll see shortly...

Compile, compile ....
Didn't see any earlier

The new colour is ok I guess. Gonna take some time to get used to it.
I think that dark grey was better. Now it's pretty hard to notice, as it is the same as the other messages. Also, one of the players came up with an idea...

http://i.imgur.com/hLRU7.jpg
I must say its hard to notice when somebody disconnect, text colour is exactly the same as most of messages. I prefer old one.

Tested all other changes and everything seems OK.

INFO: To change position packets from TCP/UDP click on that near server name.

and is "Requested UDP for position updates" message really needed every time I join some server?
Hi Scawen:

Doing some testing.. How are you hiding the Window? Reading through some peoples issue with headless setups.. is that when output goes to a console.. then it will work well.

It is weird that it's doing this. I wanna see if I can figure out (via WINE) what it's actually calling to "create a window" (even though it might not actually be doing so.

Like I said, there are ways to hack around this, but a true Console application makes hosting servers on Linux especially easy (Considering how awesome LFS runs in Wine).
I'm wondering: The own latency is now shown in the connection list, but still not above the own car. That number still only shows 0.00
I would like an option to change the font
Quote from Scawen :I changed the message colours faster than you wrote that post!

They look good now I think. You'll see shortly...

Sounds cool! im waiting
Quote from baartlomiej :I think that dark grey was better. Now it's pretty hard to notice, as it is the same as the other messages.

Quote from DANIEL-CRO :I must say its hard to notice when somebody disconnect, text colour is exactly the same as most of messages. I prefer old one.

Could easily change the disconnection colour back to dark grey. I just thought it was sometimes hard to read. But maybe no problem.

Quote from DANIEL-CRO :...is "Requested UDP for position updates" message really needed every time I join some server?

No. I'll make that not display the first time, unless it is TCP.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :How are you hiding the Window? Reading through some peoples issue with headless setups.. is that when output goes to a console.. then it will work well.

I'm not really hiding it, just not creating one. I'll try the console thing some time when I've got a day free. It probably is not too hard and should be possible to release a compatible dedicated host.

Quote from chucknorris :I'm wondering: The own latency is now shown in the connection list, but still not above the own car. That number still only shows 0.00

It's a different number. The connection list number is round trip ping from host to the guest and back. The over the car number is the time it too for the position packet to get from guest, to host, to you. In your own case that is zero.
It would be nice if the round-trip pings only displayed in the connection list when Shift-F8, Network Debug mode is enabled.

Everything seems to be tickety-boo on B13.

Good job.
Hi Scawen:

Console would be really cool and I'd be willing to test a console version on my server if you need be.
Quote from Scawen :Could easily change the disconnection colour back to dark grey. I just thought it was sometimes hard to read. But maybe no problem.

its more important to notice that someone has left then who was it, during a race the chat window should not be in focus anyway. You can always check with 'h'.
For the sake of consistency, the disconnect message should be dark grey.
Quote from mbutcher :It would be nice if the round-trip pings only displayed in the connection list when Shift-F8,

Hmm no that wouldn't be nice.

People now actually are going to understand what lag / server distance is. No need to hide those numbers.
Good job Scawen, just tested it.

Now waiting for 0.6C

Regards,
Quote from cargame.nl :Hmm no that wouldn't be nice.

People now actually are going to understand what lag / server distance is. No need to hide those numbers.

I suppose. Since it was network related, I thought sticking it in with SHIFT+F8 and keeping the connection list as clean as possible may have been desirable.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Console would be really cool and I'd be willing to test a console version on my server if you need be.

Putting my name out there on that as well.
Looks great. Altho on a side note, I now see why Scawen goes silent while he is working. So many people keep suggesting more and more things.

Let's get to a good stopping point so work on the physics and S3 can resume.
What do means is the number 8.8 (red color)?
Attached images
lfs_00000103.jpg
Quote from [Audi TT] :What do means is the number 8.8 (red color)?

"What does the number 8.8 mean?"
It means the ping time is over 1 second. The other numbers are milliseconds, so the red colour is over 1000ms.
It was 8.8 seconds ago the server got a packet from Frunze.

Maybe his LFS is not being given CPU time or there is an interruption to the connection between the server and his computer.

If nothing changes, the number gets higher and eventually there is a timeout.

Or maybe Frunze is racing on the moon so there is a very long ping time.

EDIT : In fact, this is not the round trip ping time. If the time is longer than approximately half a second (500 ms) the meaning changes from "ping time" to "how long since the host got a packet from the guest". These are two different meanings, from results measured in a different way, expressed in the same number. That may be confusing if you try to think too hard about it. But when you see a stable number, below a second, you can interpret it as ping time. If you see an increasing number more than a second, that means the host is not hearing from the guest due to some kind of interruption.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG