The online racing simulator
More transmission info
(15 posts, started )
More transmission info
This was kinda suggested in other thread, not exactly this idea. But thing interesed me a lot, since it could definitely help in racing and setup development.
Well my idea is to have shown speed which you can achieve in individual gear at maximum RPM. Check attachment. For example in first gear you can maximally go up to 90 km/h, ...

This will be easy for Scawen to implement in LFS, seems like few lines of code. What do you guys think about this?
Attached images
Capture.PNG
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :This was kinda suggested in other thread, not exactly this idea. But thing interesed me a lot, since it could definitely help in racing and setup development.
Well my idea is to have shown speed which you can achieve in individual gear at maximum RPM. Check attachment. For example in first gear you can maximally go up to 90 km/h, ...

This will be easy for Scawen to implement in LFS, seems like few lines of code. What do you guys think about this?

It would not take a lot of code to implement, and it's a good idea.

It would have to take into account the final drive, max rpm and the wheel size, anything else? Those are all variables in this game, so it wouldn't be hard.
+1
It would also help give a theoretical top speed of the cars, if aerodynamic drag and grip wasn't a problem.
Easy to implement and could be useful.
It is a good idea. I like your activity in the development of the LFS!
Beta tester :heyjoe67_eagle:
Glad to see positive feedback
I'm still thinking will maximum RPM be a way to go, because it would be quite useless in cars like MRT (you are never even close to rev limiter)
The speed you can reach in a gear @ max RPM is pretty useless information on the whole TBH.
In most cars, if you're changing gear at the rev limiter, you're being inefficient and in the highest gear you should never reach the limiter.

What would actually be useful is optimal shift RPM and speed.

Top speed would also be nice, but would be much harder to calculate as it needs to take into account friction (which is affected by drag, tyre compound, pressure, camber, toe etc) - the VHPA needs to do a full simulation to work that out afaik.

Unfortunately, all this data takes up space so it'd probably need quite a bit of shuffling to fit it in. VHPA is a very good solution for now, even though it is a little inconvenient if all you're changing is ratios.
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Glad to see positive feedback
I'm still thinking will maximum RPM be a way to go, because it would be quite useless in cars like MRT (you are never even close to rev limiter)

With the downforce settings you can adjust test speed, so how about a test RPM slider in this case.
Quote from Degats :The speed you can reach in a gear @ max RPM is pretty useless information on the whole TBH.
In most cars, if you're changing gear at the rev limiter, you're being inefficient and in the highest gear you should never reach the limiter.

What would actually be useful is optimal shift RPM and speed.

Top speed would also be nice, but would be much harder to calculate as it needs to take into account friction (which is affected by drag, tyre compound, pressure, camber, toe etc) - the VHPA needs to do a full simulation to work that out afaik.

Unfortunately, all this data takes up space so it'd probably need quite a bit of shuffling to fit it in. VHPA is a very good solution for now, even though it is a little inconvenient if all you're changing is ratios.

Idea is to make simple and usefull thing which will represent you possibilities of setup. Of course drivers dont shift on max rpm. Some purely statistical numbers, nothing related at actuall physics or engine power. Optimal RPM will be more complex to do, as it depends on many variables like restrictions. Also optimal shift point should be also setup dependent. Hope you got my point
Quote from pärtan :With the downforce settings you can adjust test speed, so how about a test RPM slider in this case.

This could work and probably to be default set to max RPM.
The Best transmission settings I have ever seen were in... first Gran Turismo for PS1. I was always wondering why did next series removed it...

It was easily readable, and you could get a lot of usefull information out of it - like how much rpm will drop after every gear change to determine power on wheels, etc. - maybe it was a bit to technical? Anyway THIS kind of gear ratio visualization would help a lot!

I don't know is the idea good at all, think about a car like MRT, you have to shift up with it a lot earlier than what's the RPM's max.
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Optimal RPM will be more complex to do, as it depends on many variables like restrictions. Also optimal shift point should be also setup dependent.

The automatic gearbox already knows where the optimal shift point is - as does the shift light on the cars that have it.

AFAIK, the only thing that affects the optimal shift RPM is the torque curve and ratios.
Ratios are a known quantity, as is the effect of the restrictor on the torque curve - assuming there's anything more complicated than just a constant % reduction in torque. Either way, LFS needs to know what the effect is to be able to output the torque in the physics engine.
I dunno if there's an equation to work it out or whether you have to run through each RPM value per gear, but VHPA can calculate all gears and graphs in close to realtime, so it can't be too complex.
bump

#15 - kdo
Very nice daniel

More transmission info
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG