The online racing simulator
Notebooks? Integrated Graphics?
(7 posts, started )
I'm looking to buy a new computer soon, and for space reasons I'll be getting a notebook. There are two models I'm looking at:

The first has :
2.16GHz Core Duo
1GB 667DDR2 RAM (2 x 512MB)
Radeon Mobility X1600 256Mb
100GB 7200rpm HDD
and a choice of glossy or matte screen

The second has:
2GHz Core Duo
Intel GMA950 Integrated Graphics
100GB HDD (speed unknown)
and a glossy screen.

I'm rather worried by the integrated graphics in the second computer, but there's a very considerable price difference between the two computers
(a difference so high that I could upgrade the second to 2GB RAM and it'd still cost less). Does anyone here run LFS using integrated graphics? If possible, I'd also like to run GTL, as I bought it ages ago but it won't run on my current computer.

I'm also slightly put off by being forced to use a glossy display, I've seen them in the past and they've struck me as being overly reflective.

Bonus points if you guess the two computers (hint: you may have to think differently to find them)
Quote from spookthehamster :I'm looking to buy a new computer soon, and for space reasons I'll be getting a notebook. There are two models I'm looking at:

The first has :
2.16GHz Core Duo
Radeon Mobility X1600 256Mb
100GB 7200rpm HDD
and a choice of glossy or matte screen

The second has:
2GHz Core Duo
Intel GMA950 Integrated Graphics
100GB HDD (speed unknown)
and a glossy screen.

The second notebook has so slow graphic card that it would hardly run LFS in pleasure way.The FPS would be really,relly low and not considerable to be playable.That intergated solution from Intel reallu suck.
I have ran LFS on a year old Acer with an ATI mobility gfx chipset, ran very well, anything better will be fine, try to go with the ATI mobility or Nvidia GO chipsets.

Dan,
#4 - Vain
When I bought my laptop I wanted it to be as gaming-unusable as possible (so I don't play games on it when I should be working on it). Thus I chose a model without a dedicated gfx-chip, but an intel 915 GM integrated chip. The result is that it can still play HL, UT and even LFS at reasonable framerates in 800x600.
Gladly I play LFS only on my desktop-pc, don't play HL anymore and play UT only under linux, where I currently have hardware-rendering disabled, so my productivity isn't narrowed by games on the laptop, even though the chip can run games.

Vain
Don't get the one with integrated graphics, that is all I can say. Get the one with the ATI card and you will be very happy.
You've pretty much all confirmed what I was thinking to begin with.

Anyone guess the computers? Apple MacBook and MacBook Pro.
#7 - Jakg
yay!thought it was a mac (2.16 is an odd number!) but firefox wouldn't let me post

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG