The online racing simulator
#1 - jnr89
560ti vs 570 gtx? or a better option?
hi, my gtx 470 amp from zotac just...came faulty but It was working fine the most of the time (I often get some crashing from the GPU) and the last week, I couldnt play any game.

The GPU was very good with the temperature, because It never went over 70cº celcius under heavy stress

I really liked that GPU, it was stunning performance and good looking:

it was kinda noisy but nothing to worry about...

Now that it was "dead" probably because a voltage problem in my house or maybe because it was really a faulty card (it worked fine until you have to play a game the last week), a friend of mine, just help me with his video card, a radeon hd 5700 or something like that,

I must admit, I think Im a fanboy of NVIDIA, I just like them so much. this card is doing well right now, but my thing is with nvidia.

Im just asking advice if I should go for a gf gtx 570 from MSI;
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-N570 ... /ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

or get the gtx 560 ti (evga everywhere here):
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb ... field-keywords=gtx+560+ti

The price tag is almost in the same range but I dont know what to choose...do you have a better option here?

a note:
My psu is a 850w thermaltake toughpower gold.
and my cpu is an i7 960 (I dont like to overclock anything, I just like stock form performance).

LFS right now is doing almost the same FPS with this radeon (slighty lower fps, about..10 fps lower in some cases) compared with the gtx 470.

Im looking for the most fps possible with full grid and all the graphics setting at max and V-sync on....because I use fraps and you know that fraps hits the fps down.

sorry for my bad english.

pd: I dont know anything about GPU subvendors, I dont know if EVGA is better than ZOTAC or MSI is better than anything?
#2 - OTone
If you have the extra money, go get the GTX660ti. (MSI Power Edition preferably)
If you are a little low on budget, get the GTX560ti. (MSI Hawk Edition or 448 Cores edition preferably)

Basically is like this:

GTX560ti (Hawk Edition) vs GTX570 = ~10% less powerful than the GTX570, it is cheaper and consumes much less watts. (Games like Metro 2033 or Crysis 1: GTX570 will consume around 400W max, GTX560ti around 320W)
GTX660ti vs GTX570 = About 20% more powerful than the GTX570, costs a bit more and consumes much less watts. (GTX660ti and GTX560ti under the same games are very similar at power consumption)
GTX560ti vs GTX660ti = No need to make a comparison I guess.

I advise you to wait a bit and get a GTX660ti GPU. No point investing 250 or 260 bucks on a GTX570 if you can buy a GTX660ti for around 30 extras bucks. It's a no brainer.
In case you are low on budget buy a GTX560ti, it consumes much less than a GTX570 and still is an awesome GPU to play Live for Speed.

I always had MSI GPU's and never had the slightest problem with them. MSI is highly regarded because of their air cooling systems. I have a MSI GTX560ti Hawk and I have excellent performance playing Live For Speed, even with hi-resolution texture pack I can get around 40-50fps with the full grid with TV camera. (With 1920x1080 resolution and with everything maxed out)
But I always have my FPS count stuck at around 300-350 most of the time. Sometimes I get almost 500

Oh yes, do not record Live For Speed with Fraps please

http://www.cargame.nl/forum/ta ... hilit=poor%20man%20dxtory
#3 - jnr89
Quote from OTone :If you have the extra money, go get the GTX660ti. (MSI Power Edition preferably)
If you are a little low on budget, get the GTX560ti. (MSI Hawk Edition or 448 Cores edition preferably)

I advise you to wait a bit and get a GTX660ti GPU. No point investing 250 or 260 bucks on a GTX570 if you can buy a GTX660ti for around 30 extras bucks. It's a no brainer.
In case you are low on budget buy a GTX560ti, it consumes much less than a GTX570 and still is an awesome GPU to play Live for Speed.

I always had MSI GPU's and never had the slightest problem with them. MSI is highly regarded because of their air cooling systems. I have a MSI GTX560ti Hawk and I have excellent performance playing Live For Speed, even with hi-resolution texture pack I can get around 40-50fps with the full grid with TV camera. (With 1920x1080 resolution and with everything maxed out)
But I always have my FPS count stuck at around 300-350 most of the time. Sometimes I get almost 500

Oh yes, do not record Live For Speed with Fraps please

http://www.cargame.nl/forum/ta ... hilit=poor%20man%20dxtory

OUTSTANDING REPLY! wow!!! amazing, I never heard about another software than fraps when it comes to record with quality, I will give a try with your option, btw, about the GPU, Im not very familiar with the terms used in the gpu performance, but, for example, in this list here:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

the 660ti is below the 560ti and the 570, but after googling around, I found this site for example:
http://www.hwcompare.com/13161 ... 80-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti/

my monitor is 24 inch, with 1080p resolution, I dont know what kind of feature is relevant here but my 470 had this:
Quote :
Interface Interface PCI Express 2.0 x16 (Compatible with 1.1) Chipset Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA® GPU GeForce® GTX 470 Core clock 656MHz Stream Processors 448 Shader Clock 1312 MHz Memory Memory Clock 3402MHz Memory Size 1280MB Memory Interface 320-bit Memory Type GDDR5

Im not sure in what the 320 bit memory interface could do a best performance in gaming, here is the 660ti specs:
Quote :
Graphics Engine GeForce GTX 660 Ti Interface PCI Express x16 3.0 Memory Type GDDR5 Memory Size(MB) 2048 Memory Interface 192 bits Core Clock Speed(MHz) 1019 (Boost Clock: 1097)

I dont understand those numbers because a friend of mine told me that the real performance of GPU are not based on the amount of memory, so I dont know what to see in this specs list.

the pci xpress 3.0 is a nice feature but my mobo (asus sabertooth x58) is pci xpress 2.0, I dont know if that would be a waste?

the GPU really catchs my attention but now Im not sure because those specs numbers and benchmarks results

this catchs me for sure:
Quote : even with hi-resolution texture pack I can get around 40-50fps with the full grid with TV camera. (With 1920x1080 resolution and with everything maxed out)

thank you very much for your answer and sorry for my bad english
#4 - OTone
You quoted my post before I edited it

Quote :
the 660ti is below the 560ti and the 570, but after googling around, I found this site for example:
http://www.hwcompare.com/13161/gefor...ce-gtx-660-ti/

This page is about comparing a 660ti with a 580. Of course the 580 will outperform the 660. This 2 cards are not in the same league of price and performance.

Quote :
Im not sure in what the 320 bit memory interface could do a best performance in gaming

The bit memory interface does not necessarily influence the overall performance of the Graphics card. There are graphics card's with 128bit memory interface with much better performance than 256bit cards.
Do not rely on it.

Quote :
I dont understand those numbers because a friend of mine told me that the real performance of GPU are not based on the amount of memory, so I dont know what to see in this specs list.

The amount of memory itself does not necessarily make impact on the overall performance as well. For example the MSI GT430 4GB DDR3 comparing to my GTX560ti hawk with 1GB GDDR5 is like comparing a XFG with a XFR

Quote :
the pci xpress 3.0 is a nice feature but my mobo (asus sabertooth x58) is pci xpress 2.0, I dont know if that would be a waste?

You can plug the card in your (very good) motherboard without loss of performance. And if there is a difference, you will not notice.
If you buy a pci express 3.0 ready motherboard along with a similar CPU to yours the difference will be generally 5% max.

It is very difficult to be sure how well a graphics card will perform comparing to others just by seeing the specifications. Even worse when you are seeing graphics cards from different generations.
From generation to generation the architecture of the PCB (Printed circuit board) is evolving every time so you can't just see the specifications and be 100% sure the X card will be better than Y card.

The trick is to search benchmarks and see the real performance about the GPU's you are interested.

At the moment if you have around 300$ to spend the way to go is the 660ti. (ti! not 660 non ti models, pay attention to that)
If you have around 250$ well.. wait a bit and get another 50 bucks
Be aware for further releases, the MSI GTX660ti Power Edition looks to me the better card to go at this moment. Don't know if it will be the same in 2 or 3 months. Be updated.

The motherboard+cpu combo you have is very good so if you have a decent amount of memory (4GB for example) then you are more than good to go.

Your english isn't bad
#5 - jnr89
Quote from OTone :

The motherboard+cpu combo you have is very good so if you have a decent amount of memory (4GB for example) then you are more than good to go.

sorry for my late reply, but now Im having problems in my house , im moving to live alone (lol) and now the videocard I purchased the last sunday is failing when I run 3dmark (I know this is kinda offtopic but) do you think this can be a damaged motherboard?

Could be the voltage, but now Im thinking in the motherboard, I cant believe in my bad luck with this

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG