The online racing simulator
LFS master server relocation [DONE]
I didn't see thread about this, so in case someone missed it, here it is
Quote from www.lfs.net :Dear LFS Racers,

On Wednesday 3rd October our servers will be relocated.
Like the last time it cannot be done transparently, which means that from 10:00 up to around 16:00 UTC our sites and master server will be unavailable. During this time you will not be able to go online with LFS, or visit our websites.
We hope this downtime will not be too much of an inconvenience for anyone.

- LFS Developers

Hope new server location will provide better online experence and less problems here on forum
More people check here I'd imagine, so useful to repost; thanks.
I want to increase my post count too...
#4 - senn
Thanks for the heads up I don't check the main website much either.
We will try to set up :

1) a placeholder web page, just saying that the servers are being moved

2) a temporary master server with no statistics capabilities

This is not guaranteed to work for everyone because it sometimes takes a while for the DNS to update, but hopefully most people will be able to go online if they want to. It's also helpful to have this set up in case there is a problem that makes the move take longer.
Quote from Scawen :

This is not guaranteed to work for everyone because it sometimes takes a while for the DNS to update, but hopefully most people will be able to go online if they want to. It's also helpful to have this set up in case there is a problem that makes the move take longer.

Ok. It's fine! Wasn't one of the recent relocations stuffed up and took longer as well? Or am I thinking of something else?
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :I didn't see thread about this, so in case someone missed it, here it is

Hope new server location will provide better online experence and less problems here on forum

THX good to know!
#8 - Omar1
Thanks for the info
Quote from Scawen :It's also helpful to have this set up in case there is a problem that makes the move take longer.

Having moved work's colocated gear ~100 miles to a new DC last Sunday I hope that your move goes better than ours did.

Turns out that the old DC allows anyone onto the floor (news to me) and the other tosser who shared the other half of our rack apparently thought it was acceptable to use ridiculously lengthed cables. Glad we were moving after seeing that, but it was a pain to unrack between what can only be described as a cable waterfall.

On the other end our new provider had an inexperienced member of staff that was our only point of contact for 3 excruciating hours. They weren't properly prepared for our custom setup imho. Additionally 1 server planar board died - either in transit or from the power off - somehow Great way to spend 12 hours working

I'm sure I don't need to teach you, Victor and Eric how to suck eggs, but just incase lowered DNS TTLs a day before the move can help a lot
Thanks Scawen

Best Regards
Will the IP adress(es) also change? In that case I need the new one(s) to update the firewall.
Quote from the_angry_angel :I'm sure I don't need to teach you, Victor and Eric how to suck eggs, but just incase lowered DNS TTLs a day before the move can help a lot

TTLs are set to an hour and will be reduced further as we approach the time.

Quote from chucknorris :Will the IP adress(es) also change? In that case I need the new one(s) to update the firewall.

Apparently they will not change. Only the temporary servers will have a different IP address, during that time from 10:00 to around 16:00 UTC / GMT.
Quote from Scawen :Apparently they will not change. Only the temporary servers will have a different IP address, during that time from 10:00 to around 16:00 UTC / GMT.

Would it be possible to get that in advance? So I don't have to wait for a PM that probably reaches me when I'm in the grocery

Oh wait a minute: Does "temporary" mean only the website? So no gaming at all?
-
(Frunze118) DELETED by Frunze118 : no more needed
Just wondering whether there was supposed to have been a newsletter email sent out regarding this, as I didn't get one?

If not, I guess it would be a good idea to send out an email so that the people who don't frequent the website/forum can get advance warning.
Quote from Degats :Just wondering whether there was supposed to have been a newsletter email sent out regarding this, as I didn't get one?

If not, I guess it would be a good idea to send out an email so that the people who don't frequent the website/forum can get advance warning.

Another example of the poor communication. Thanks for pointing this out, we definitely could use better communication with the developers.
Quote from edge3147 :Another example of the poor communication. Thanks for pointing this out, we definitely could use better communication with the developers.

Never got anything nice to say have you birdman?

also it's on their main page so you should check their news more often before you complain about no communication
We're back
only forum ATM
lets start spaming
Quote :added Wed, Oct 3rd, 2012 17:41
>Successful server move Hello LFS Racers.

The server move went well and only took around 6 hours. All our services are back up and running.

Thank you for your patience during that time.

- LFS Developers

Last time it took 7 hours,nice progress!
-
(Frunze118) DELETED by Frunze118
Quote from Beaver08 :Never got anything nice to say have you birdman?

also it's on their main page so you should check their news more often before you complain about no communication

Not everyone checks the main page. Alot of people use ONLY the forums because you can generally find the same information here.

Way to be rude again.
Quote from Degats :Just wondering whether there was supposed to have been a newsletter email sent out regarding this, as I didn't get one?

If people wanted to enter one of the LFS websites, they would find out that the sites were down by reading the placeholder texts that it redirected to. No need to send e-mails to everyone in my opinion.

As far as I remember, you could still race online during that period, so no one was affected by that and probably no one did even notice that (except LFSW stats not being recorded).
Quote from Flame CZE :If people wanted to enter one of the LFS websites, they would find out that the sites were down by reading the placeholder texts that it redirected to. No need to send e-mails to everyone in my opinion.

As far as I remember, you could still race online during that period, so no one was affected by that and probably no one did even notice that (except LFSW stats not being recorded).

I wasn't talking about sending emails, that was someone else. I was agreeing with DANIEL-CRO regarding the lack of a post on the forums by the developers regarding this. A little heads up to the community on the Official LFS Forums can't be too hard to ask for. Anytime they post a news heading to LFS.net, they can copy and paste it here and be done in under 60 seconds.

There was not a post here until Daniel made one.

Communication is very vital to success.
Quote from edge3147 :I wasn't talking about sending emails, that was someone else. I was agreeing with DANIEL-CRO regarding the lack of a post on the forums by the developers regarding this. A little heads up to the community on the Official LFS Forums can't be too hard to ask for. Anytime they post a news heading to LFS.net, they can copy and paste it here and be done in under 60 seconds.

Sorry, quote edited

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG