The online racing simulator
SGS2 crash/reboot cycle
(10 posts, started )
SGS2 crash/reboot cycle
Anyone have any idea if I can save this?

My SGS2 has started crashing/rebooting constantly. It turns on, works for maybe 15 seconds then freezes and resets. I've not (manually) updated any apps or installed anything new, so I have no idea what's causing it.

I have a feeling it's going to be a Factory Reset job, but is there any way I can save my data first?
Is your phone rooted?
Is it rooted?
If yes, you could do a wipe dalvik cache and wipe cache and try if it works. Or flash a kernel using the recovery menu.

If it is not rooted, you could still try to flash an stock rom using Odin, but without checking the re-partition check, so it don't do a factory reset.
Not rooted. Standard ICS firmware. I wondered if safe mode might let me get rid of whatever's causing it by trial and error but I can't seem to make it enter it.
Mine did that once, it was a touchwiz launcher error.
The only way it would be stable was when plugged in to my pc via usb, so I thought it was worth trying a software update, which fixed the problem.
I don't know if kies can do firmware recovery or whatever, but try plugging it in at least.
Could try this before resetting:-
Quote :Go to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications.

Choose All so that all the installed applications are listed.

Look for Google Services Framework and press on this.

Press Clear Data.

When it has completed, remove the battery and wait 5 minutes for the phone to discharge.

Put the battery back in and start the phone and use it.

thats a lot of stuff to do in only 15 secs tho
Waiting for a micro-USB cable to be delivered (I've managed to mislay the 3 or so I have) and I'll have a go with it plugged into the PC.
I seem to have fixed it although I'm not entirely sure how.

The cable came today so I thought I'd have one last go to see if could salvage my photos before I reset it back to factory settings and reinstalled everything. Didn't work, I git the same crash/reboot/crash cycle when it was plugged in and it reset far too fast to move anything onto the PC.

I'd turned on the wifi and had it sat on top of my PC above the cooling fans while I was doing something else and then picked it up in the hope of getting AirDroid to connect wirelessly so I could maybe save something. I noticed it had updated a load of app and had stopped crashing!

So... either it managed to update whatever app was causing the crash, which patched the problem, or (and I hope it isn't this) it's overheating badly; hence having it above the fans possibly stopped the crash.

I've had it away from the fans for 20 minutes or so now and no crash so fingers crossed.
If there is such a temperature problem, I guess that if you are charging it the screen should show a warning, "Charge stopped for high temperature" or something like that. So I hope it was an app that got updated (I guess it could be Facebook, as it had a books a month ago that caused a lot of hangs, don't know if they were just application hangs, soft-resets or total reboots).

I still advice you to root your phone, so you can install Titanium Backup, and make a backup every few days/weeks (don't know if in the free version you can schedule tasks). Plus you gain acces to the recovery, which is never a bad thing to have

SGS2 crash/reboot cycle
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG