The online racing simulator
FIA freezes F1 engine development for 3 years
what are peoples' thoughts on this?
itv-f1.com
grandprix.com <--- excellent article from an excelent website
tsn.ca

personally, i can see Max Mosley's point that it will reduce some INSANE costs. but he doesn't seem to be addressing the biggest problem: after the first race, any team with a good engine know's they're safe in that respect for the next 3 years. any team who is down on power know they HOOPED for the next 3 years.

let's say you're a midfield team trying to break through (BAR, toyota, BMW). how motivated are you going to be if you know your engine is just not up to the task FOR THE NEXT THREE YEARS?!?!?!?!?!!?illepall

the article on grandprix.com makes mosley look pretty bad in my opinion. most other websites just copy the general press release and regurjitate the same info. grandprix.com goes behind the story quite often and gives some very insightful views.

speedfreak227
WTF! One of the most biggest idiots in motorsports did it again! Thats just stypid, I dont know how the smaller teams would have any motivation to continue if they cannot develop their engines further. Just another idiot rule, they should have kept the V10s and freeze their building, that would have saved money a lot, because these new V8s havent really saved that much. It seems that Mosley just does new rules doesnt think and then sees what happenes and makes another rule without thinking because didnt think before.
When we have rules stability the teams tend to achieve a plateau of performance where improvements become much smaller. This allows the smaller teams to close down the gap somewhat. 2008 is going to be a 1 team championship, but if they could stop tinkering with it ... by 2010 it should all be ok again.

Freezing development just means that teams will have to invest more money in alternative areas such as different methods of constructing the engine to the same basic design ... Remember also that reliability is a part of development.

Engine manufacturers tend to be big corporate car companies, they've got the money to blow anyway.

If they want the exposure and prestige of F1, they should pay the price. They of all people can afford it.
Personally I think it is a stupid rule. At the moment all the FIA seem to be doing is castrating the teams but removing all the technical areas in which they can improve. For me the technology is part and parcel of the F1 circus.

The only thing I think they need to encourage is overtaking. They should try out the split rear wing, or at least introduce rules restricting aero parts at the rear of the car, thus providing 'cleaner' air in which to slipstream.

I think the tinker men need to stop tinkering and think about what the sport needs! Overtaking!
Last year we had lots of great overtakes, it was a stonking season really ! So much action at so many races with maybe just 1 or 2 processions the whole season.

This year it's all been quiet on the Western front ... what's happened? Have the smaller engines made so much difference? We're just not getting any action this year and i'm getting a bit hacked off with it. The last two races have been so dull that afterwards I googled pictures of John Major and still managed to cheer up ... bring back the V10's, or whatever magical ingredient it is they lost over the winter, because this year sucks.
Quote from Becky Rose :LThe last two races have been so dull that afterwards I googled pictures of John Major and still managed to cheer up ... bring back the V10's, or whatever magical ingredient it is they lost over the winter, because this year sucks.

haha, lol

agreed.

man+steering wheel+big engine+4 wheels+some wings = good racing.
Dont agree with this at all, it stops any progression for any of the loer teams such as RBR and Torro Rosso, which lets be honest, they need to progress. It also means that in McLaren/Williams are still having reliability issues they are screwed. If they do this, its going to be Renualt/Ferrari fighting for the championship for 3 years, presuming no other teams become dominant vefore this is introduced.

Crap idea, and shouldnt be allowed.
It just makes it far less likely i'll be watching any F1 for a while (i haven't watched a whole race for at least 4 years)

It's a shame for the supposed pinnacle of world motorsport is going stale like this. and it makes me sad to think that it's the only motorsport most ordinary people see.
It's a stupid rule mainly for the reason mentioned earlier: Any engine manufacturer that has an advantage at the start of 2008 keeps it for 3 years. I find it hard to imagine the likes of Honda and Toyota continuing to invest the kind of money they are doing if they find themselves 50hp+ down in 2008 with no way of fighting back until 2011. If Moseley's aim is to force some big names out of F1, he's going to suceed.

It would be far better to introduce rules where the engine manufacturers have to be willing to supply up to 2 teams with engines at the latest spec, at a fixed affordable price. It protects the independent/smaller teams from going without an engine or having to sink too much of their budgets into engines.

Also, if the FIA want to limit the speed of development of engines and the increase in power, then start to restrict revs and air intake (like they have with this years V10 entry). Looking at limiting fuel consumption was also quite interesting, and may have real life benefits.

To restrict engines for 3 years is fine for spec series where every team has the same engine anyway, but for F1 which should be the pinnacle of motorsport, it's crazy.

Typical of Mad Max though....and he's probably feeling quite smug at the moment. He basically forces the teams/manufacturers to sign up for F1 from 2008 and onwards, by setting an early entry deadline after which he opens up the entry to everyone who can fill in the relevant form. Of course they all have to sign up (or run the huge risk of being locked out of F1) which means they've all effectively agreed to the tech regulations as laid out by Max, including the engine freeze.
why not go for giles villeneuves suggestion in 1981 ( yes they were complaining it was too technical and not a drivers championship back then)

he wanted unlimited fuel, unlimited engines

but

and its a big but

as big as john prescots butt !

tyres had to last full race and could only be 6 inches wide !!!!!!!
As for Max Mosley making important decisions on the future developement of F1, namely the freezing of engine development for 3 years. He said of Michael Schumachers conduct during qualification fo last Sundays race at Monaco that he didn't think MS cheated. If he thinks that after relegating him to the back of the grid,he should resign as he's not fit to govern motor sport.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG