The online racing simulator
New monitor, a few questions
(33 posts, started )
NOTE: I'd like to know the answer to the questions before looking for any specific brand or model, but if anyone has a good suggestion it will be welcomed

Yesterday my monitor did a extrange thing after switching on the power strip, but it worked normally. Today I was not that lucky, and my monitor decided that it was time to don't turn on anymore

Hopefully I would be able to fix it later today when I open it to see what's inside. But in case that it is broken forever I have some questions I would like to resolve/discuss...

- First of all, I don't know how much money I want to spend. But as a monitor lasts several years I'd rather prefer a good one than a cheap/budget one. What would be a right price for a right monitor? (no 3D nor 600Hz needed, you know)

- The broken one was 19" (19:10), now I have a 26" (16:9) TV. The TV is way too big (I think), and without having tried any other size I always thought that 24" was the sweet size for me. But I have the feeling that those monitors are overpriced compared to their 23" brothers, am I right? Or maybe 23" is enough for a PC?

- My usage: 70% browsing internet, the other 30% is splited in playing LFS, watching videos and doing some Photoshop (skins and textures mainly). I think I'm not very sensitive to ghosting. Would an IPS panel be ideal for me? LED backlight or normal? Is it better a good TN over a normal IPS? etc, etc

I think that's it, those are my main concerns about the right choice. I guess that answering thhis first would help me in the choice of an specific monitor later this week (if needed, hope not to hehe)

PS: wow, this is a great wall of text. Congrats to the one that reads it all :wave2:
I have always loved the Samsung Synchmasters.
But there are better monitors of course.

And I'd always go for an IPS, unless you wanna see different colours every time you sit 2cm to the left or right from your screen.
And LED or normal shouldn't matter that much I think, just the max brightness and power consumption.(maybe a bit flatter colors with fluorescent tubes)

grtz
Quote from E.Reiljans :My choice would be NEC EA232WMI-BK but I am not sure whether you can find that model in Spain.

Spent the day reading reviews about that monitor. Seems to be pretty good, a bit slow in response time, but they say it's not an issue while playing. So it is a candidate to be bought hehe

It would cost me about 300€ to buy it from Amazon UK.

Now I have to check the other monitors, will take a bit long to decide which one is the best for me xD
Though my old monitor has decided to come back to life, I'm still reading about new monitors just in case...

I've found the Dell U2412M 24".
For what I've read it's better than the NEC in everything, but input lag (1ms), and it is 40 pounds cheaper on Amazon
Quote from Whiskey :Though my old monitor has decided to come back to life, I'm still reading about new monitors just in case...

For what I've read it's better than the NEC in everything, but input lag (1ms), and it is 40 pounds cheaper on Amazon

2412M has backlight bleeding, IIRC. A bit older (but not by much) model - 2410 is better in that regard.
Quote from Whiskey :Though my old monitor has decided to come back to life, I'm still reading about new monitors just in case...

Don't forget that most manufactuers write 1ms just because their gray2gray response is that low. They usually are just as responsive as the bad and slow 5ms ones.
Quote from hazaky :Don't forget that most manufactuers write 1ms just because their gray2gray response is that low. They usually are just as responsive as the bad and slow 5ms ones.

Also, http://superuser.com/questions ... ing-a-pixel-to-the-screen
check answer #1 by John Carmack.
Those 1ms, 5ms, **** even 8ms are insignificant, considering total delay between GPU's frame rendering completion and moment when it gets drawn is always over 60 ms.
Of course there are gamers who claim that they can see the difference, they're morons though.
Quote from Whiskey :I've found the Dell U2412M 24".

That doesn't seem right: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/re ... dell_u2412m.htm#input_lag

You might have meant response time (the official bullshit spec) with that, but that's completely different thing.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html

^ You can trust these reviews: U2412M is good.
I meant 1 ms slower than the NEC, 8.1 against 9.4.

I read the review at tftcentral, they said the backlight bleeding was quite good, at least on the panel they tried.

Back on the TV, the monitor refused to work on weekend xD
Quote from Whiskey :I meant 1 ms slower than the NEC, 8.1 against 9.4.

And how those 1 ms matter with total draw delay being higher than 60 ms?
Nothing really, just saying that's the only thing it seems to be worst than the NEC, and it's such a insignificant thing.
Thanks for the article, but I already stoped trusting in oficial figures long time ago.

I trust more on reviews (experts and users) than in any spec sheet.
Evenmore, I'm asking in a forum instead of going directly to a website with comparatives
-
(stan.distortion) DELETED by stan.distortion : missread
Quote from MadCatX :Unless you know these things already, this also happens to be a good "what specs should I actually (not) care about" quickguide article.
http://gizmodo.com/5669331/why ... -specs-are-total-bullshit

Not new information to me per se, but it's just incredible how it has come to this that pretty much only specs you can trust is the size in inches and the resolution. And even those have been assraped by moving to 16:9 format i.e. essentially selling less for more.
Quote from E.Reiljans :And how those 1 ms matter with total draw delay being higher than 60 ms?

input lag of 10ms means that the total draw delay compared to a crt (which has 0 draw delay) is 10ms
Quote from Shotglass :input lag of 10ms means that the total draw delay compared to a crt (which has 0 draw delay) is 10ms

You might as well compare turbo lag of 2012 car to 0 turbo lag of 1950's car, but that's pointless - nobody cares about CRT's.
dear god thats a stupid answer just to avoid admitting that you were utterly wrong
I understand both opinions.

Monitor's input lag, does matter in a comparative way.
But if you sum everything (graphic card, monitor, etc) then just 1 ms is nothing.

I just pointed that difference as a "fun fact", not as a real issue for me or anything.
yeah you should indeed learn to read since your gold standard for truth also agrees that a crt is the apt thing to compare monitor lag to
It also agrees that monitor lag of CRT is not 0 ms, like you said it is.
If I understand John's explanation correctly, there was an 8 ms lag on the part of the USB controller (probably due to polling rate) and additional 30 ms lag caused by the LCD screen and quite horrible horrible extra 60 ms lag when he tested the Sony's 3D contraption.
Quote from E.Reiljans :It also agrees that monitor lag of CRT is not 0 ms, like you said it is.

as far as the monitor itself is concerned it is
Quote from Shotglass :as far as the monitor itself is concerned it is

Nope. Try reading it once more.

(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG